Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

Layover at DFW - where to go, what to do, how much time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
DFW / Dallas-Ft. Worth International Airport Layover
Where to go, what to do, how much time?

AA Forum Guide to DFW

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Layover at DFW - where to go, what to do, how much time?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2014, 1:41 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by mikew99
Are there any points of interest at some point along the Orange Line that will allow me to kill a few hours? Perhaps a well-known place to have breakfast?
There's not much there there

When I had to move and pick up a U-Haul truck found a greasy spoon, but it's 15 minute walk from Victory Station to Riverside Grill (940 N Industrial Blvd Dallas, TX 75207).

I've also eaten at Cindi's New York Delicatessen by Reunion Station, but you'd be better off taking TRE, which may be your best bet anyway

Talking about downtown Fort Worth of course, more interesting than Dallas @:-)
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:18 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by EmailKid
There's not much there there

When I had to move and pick up a U-Haul truck found a greasy spoon, but it's 15 minute walk from Victory Station to Riverside Grill (940 N Industrial Blvd Dallas, TX 75207).

I've also eaten at Cindi's New York Delicatessen by Reunion Station, but you'd be better off taking TRE, which may be your best bet anyway

Talking about downtown Fort Worth of course, more interesting than Dallas @:-)
That's really unfortunate; I was hoping there would be some fantastic place (outside the airport, that is) to spend my time (and I do love to explore transit systems, so I was looking forward to the ride). Looks like a Hyatt champagne breakfast might be in my future.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 8:04 pm

My family will stop at DFW for 4 hour, 9am - 1pm. What is the best place to have lunch? Anything good in AA club?
Old Aug 12, 2014, 8:13 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by net222
My family will stop at DFW for 4 hour, 9am - 1pm. What is the best place to have lunch? Anything good in AA club?
Not much free in the AAdmirals Clubs, they have some food for purchase, mainly soups and paninis and it's okay. Personally, I like either Salt Lick or Cousin's BBQ.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 2:04 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Silver, IHC Plat, HERTZ gold, GF Gold, SAS Silver
7 hour layover - dfw

Arriving from South America 07:35am and departing Europe 15:35pm. Will have checked in bags all the way through...

Suggestions please flyertalkers...

Happy to hire a car
Check into Hotel (but will sleep on the flight in and flight out, so this is pointless)
Am I right to think that the airport is far from town?

Any suggestions on what to do for a few hours??
Old Mar 25, 2015, 7:37 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
DFW is about 45 minutes from Fort Worth or Dallas, about 37 km. Whether it makes sense to drive around the area depends on the time of day. Traffic in the morning and late afternoon is thick. You could wander around the DFW area during the time period you show without much trouble.

The question is, what do you want to do? If you do a search on "things to do in dfw" you will see a bunch of stuff. Do any of the things listed interest you? We could provide advice on how interesting and easy they would to get to during the time you have. Do you want to try the local cuisine, visit a museum of some sort, shop, observe the local culture?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:34 pm

Dart.org - orange line
DFW, Terminal A to Akard St - 1401 Pacific (Downtown) near Museum of Art, approx 56 mins
Local fare $5.00 all day pass

http://www.dart.org/maps/printrailmap.asp
http://www.dart.org/fares/fares.asp
Old Apr 1, 2015, 4:19 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Down_the_back
Arriving from South America 07:35am and departing Europe 15:35pm. Will have checked in bags all the way through...

Suggestions please flyertalkers...

Happy to hire a car
Check into Hotel (but will sleep on the flight in and flight out, so this is pointless)
Am I right to think that the airport is far from town?

Any suggestions on what to do for a few hours??
We've merged your query into the existing thread. You'll see what others suggest, honor those who have taken the time and effort to share and prevent information fragmentation.

Enjoy your layover.

JDiver, Senior Moderator
Old Apr 1, 2015, 3:32 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Willys
Dart.org - orange line
DFW, Terminal A to Akard St - 1401 Pacific (Downtown) near Museum of Art, approx 56 mins
Local fare $5.00 all day pass
Ridiculously long

I know, use Orange Line quite a bit

If one way, the fare is $2.50, good for about couple of hours.

$1.75 midday off peak during the week @:-)
Old Jun 7, 2015, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Mudbug run during a 7hr layover [at DFW]

Advice please.

Got a craving for crawfish and was wondering whether it is cheaper to rent a car (Silvercar) or just Uber it from DFW to Pappadeux. On a Sunday during the day.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Uber doesn't pick up at DFW (though you can try the drop-the-pin-nearby-then-call trick). And if you have 7 hours, there are better spots for crawfish than Pappadeaux.

Here's a decent list to start: http://cravedfw.com/2014/03/18/2014-...ish-in-dallas/

Last edited by swag; Jun 7, 2015 at 7:49 pm
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Uber does pick up at DFW -- just did it last week.

Thanks for the list. Better to rent the car and head to these places.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Doesn't Pappadeaux in Terminal A offer them?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:43 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
OK so I have an overnight at DFW on Friday, arriving 10pm and departing 10am next day. I will be sleeping at nearby hotel in the North so should probably be in the room by 11pm after claiming baggage and shuttle.

Question, are there any decent (Texas BBQ) food options nearby that opens late or do delivery? There's unfortunately no plaza or restaurant nearby my hotel within walking distance so I'm ok taking Uber for about $10 if possible. Or should I just grab something at the DFW (terminal C, likely) before exiting the security?

Last edited by jix; Feb 8, 2016 at 2:53 pm
Old Feb 8, 2016, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by jix
OK so I have an overnight at DFW on Friday, arriving 10pm and departing 10am next day. I will be sleeping at nearby hotel in the North so should probably be in the room by 11pm after claiming baggage and shuttle.

Question, are there any decent (Texas BBQ) food options nearby that opens late or do delivery? There's unfortunately no plaza or restaurant nearby my hotel within walking distance so I'm ok taking Uber for about $10 if possible. Or should I just grab something at the DFW (terminal C, likely) before exiting the security?
BBQ is tough, most BBQ places tend to close on the early side. Heck, traditionally, many used to be open only for lunch. None of my usual choices near the airport are open past ten. I did find a Bone Daddys in Grapevine that's open until midnight on Fridays. I've never eaten there, so I can't make a recommendation; it's a small chain known as much for its waitresses (think Hooters) as its food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.