Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

Layover at DFW - where to go, what to do, how much time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
DFW / Dallas-Ft. Worth International Airport Layover
Where to go, what to do, how much time?

AA Forum Guide to DFW

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Layover at DFW - where to go, what to do, how much time?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2022, 3:49 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by aztimm
I saw it on an episode of, "The Daytripper," and thought I'd try it out. Definitely won't break the bank, and much different than normal food.
Not really a fan of the show, though I have glanced at quite a few episodes on Saturday mornings in Dallas, but only managed to watch a whole episode once or twice.

Does not mean the chicken place is bad, I just don't particularly care for the host of the show or the many attractions that border on being tourist traps

And I'd still take Fort Worth over Dallas as visitor - downtown in Fort Worth is lively (Dallas not so much), museum district is cool, but there is no Dealey Plaza.
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 5:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Not really a fan of the show, though I have glanced at quite a few episodes on Saturday mornings in Dallas, but only managed to watch a whole episode once or twice.

Does not mean the chicken place is bad, I just don't particularly care for the host of the show or the many attractions that border on being tourist traps

And I'd still take Fort Worth over Dallas as visitor - downtown in Fort Worth is lively (Dallas not so much), museum district is cool, but there is no Dealey Plaza.
The show is based here in the Austin area, well actually Georgetown. I've bumped into the host when I was working in Georgetown, and he's a nice guy and liked up here. Yea he can be an acquired taste.
I thought Chicken Scratch was kind of an offbeat place to eat. Very casual, like mostly outside, there might have been sawdust on the ground. Nothing was terribly expensive, and the food was very good. I can almost guarantee that you'd be the only foreign visitors there.

From a history standpoint, really nothing compares with downtown Dallas and Dealey Plaza. The Perot Museum is also downtown and worthwhile (yes, that Perot). The GW Bush Presidential Library isn't too far, accessibly by rail, but Uber would be much faster.
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 10:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by SavvyTravel
Hey that’s exactly why FT is such a great place. Really helpful. I’m marginally biased towards Hilton so the canopy is good and the chicken place 😍
Shoot me a PM if you have any specific questions, I live about 2 miles from the Canopy so I know the area well.
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Nine hours at DFW. What to do?

I'm looking at an itinerary that will have a nine-hour layover at DFW. I'll be taking the overnight flight from South America. I've never been to Dallas before and I know nine hours is too short. I guess I could spend it in a lounge. Or could I go to a mall? What's the biggest mall that's accessible by transit? Will I need to buy a transit card or can I tap my Chase Sapphire Reserve?
Old Jun 4, 2023, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Here are some ideas

( 9hrs would be enough to go into Dallas city centre)

Your Layover Guide to Dallas (DFW) - The Points Guy

There are a couple of museums relating to Aviation

The AA CR smith museum ( limited opening hours though)
CR Smith Museum
and the flight museum at Dallas Love field

Visit - Frontiers of Flight Museum

Transit details

DART

with its route map

dartrailsystemmap24jan22-1.pdf

Regards

TBS
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 1:10 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
What is your time in the area from like 9am to 5 pm local time?

from DFW you can easily access a light rail line to get into the downtown Dallas area. I don’t know ifDFW has a baggage hold location.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Probably get a hotel and sleep.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 8:30 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
This is what we did on our layover: https://www.jfk.org/

It was easily accessible by light rail from DFW. Very interesting.

We also had a day room at the Sheraton that is adjoining the airport.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Any comments on which Whataburger is better, Term D or E Satellite?
Old Feb 4, 2024, 12:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by theboss7593
Any comments on which Whataburger is better, Term D or E Satellite?
I've been to the one in E (near the AA gates), and it was fine. There is often a line, and it could easily take 20 minutes just to order your food, then another 10 minutes to get it. I think there are only 2 restaurants near those AA gates, so there really isn't much choice. The food was about the same as a regular Whataburger; prices about the same too.

Where are your gates? I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to go to E. But if your connection leaves from there, then sure. I prefer to go to my departing gate and be there early, just in case.

Be aware that the only way to get to/fr E is by the Skytrain (well other than exiting security and taking a car of some sort). The Skytrain is known to break down, and I'd hate to be stuck out near E and have to scramble to make it to A-B-C-D, which are all connected together and you can walk among them (so long as you are ambulatory). A friend of mine was on the train when it broke down while he was transferring from A to D. He was eventually (with everyone else) walked to E, where he then exited security and took a taxi to D, and barely made his connection.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Originally Posted by aztimm
I've been to the one in E (near the AA gates), and it was fine. There is often a line, and it could easily take 20 minutes just to order your food, then another 10 minutes to get it. I think there are only 2 restaurants near those AA gates, so there really isn't much choice. The food was about the same as a regular Whataburger; prices about the same too.

Where are your gates? I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to go to E. But if your connection leaves from there, then sure. I prefer to go to my departing gate and be there early, just in case.

Be aware that the only way to get to/fr E is by the Skytrain (well other than exiting security and taking a car of some sort). The Skytrain is known to break down, and I'd hate to be stuck out near E and have to scramble to make it to A-B-C-D, which are all connected together and you can walk among them (so long as you are ambulatory). A friend of mine was on the train when it broke down while he was transferring from A to D. He was eventually (with everyone else) walked to E, where he then exited security and took a taxi to D, and barely made his connection.

Good info thanks, I ended up not going thru DFW today because of a 12 hour delay out of LGA and rebooked myself direct to my destination instead of via DFW. But I will be going thru DFW in another week or so. I was going to only have a 1 hour 20 minute layover to go from B to C but I had planned on going over to E for Whataburger although part of me was going to go to D and pop into the centurion lounge. I like cutting things close and I am usually in J so it would've made for some fun. Next time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.