Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

Layover at DFW - where to go, what to do, how much time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
DFW / Dallas-Ft. Worth International Airport Layover
Where to go, what to do, how much time?

AA Forum Guide to DFW

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Layover at DFW - where to go, what to do, how much time?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Gah.. Dickey's?? Don't go there.

3.5 hours? I don't know if that is enought time to get downtown to Pecan Lodge at the Farmer's Market. You really have to get there early. And they are only opened Thursday-Sunday.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 8:05 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
There are a million BBQ joints in the DFW area. Everyone likes this one and hates that one. But all in all it would be difficult to pick one that was not good.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
My two picks near the airport:
  • SW of the airport in Euless is North Main BBQ. Weekends only, all you can eat for $15, BYOB. Excellent BBQ, especially ribs; not much ambiance. I'd go there more if it was open weekdays. http://www.northmainbbq.com/
  • NE of the airport in Coppell, Hard Eight BBQ. Order by the pound. Excellent BBQ but sometimes inconsistent. Huge wooden shed, smoky, very Texas feel. Bottle & draft beer available. It's where I usually have lunch before flying out. http://www.hardeightbbq.com/

Either one shouldn't be more than a 10 minute drive from the rental car center or a 10 minute cab ride from the terminal. Neither is quite up to the top few places in town, but they're just a tier below, very solid, way way better than Dickey's.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:28 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
I'll second Hard Eight BBQ. One of my favorite places to go in Texas for BBQ.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 6:43 am

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Hard Eight is certainly better than the places in the terminals. But is it great? No. Can you make a run to AUS instead? Your options get much better in that area.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:38 am

Programs: The Golden status boy
With that limited of time, the only real option for you would be Rudy’s or Lockhart. The latter is the best option, but a little further away from the airport. (Bishop Arts district near downtown) It’s the real deal complete with Kreuz sausage. There is a Rudy’s off of I-20 in Arlington. It’s “fast food BBQ” but still better than most options in Dallas. Get the creamed corn as a side.

Or, if you want a last resort, you can go to Bone Daddy’s in Grapevine. It’s near the airport, has passable BBQ and the scenery is…nice.

Dallas is just a terrible port for BBQ. Houston isn’t any better.

P.S. Dickey's isn't BBQ. Liquid smoke and an oven does not a brisket make.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:55 am

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
BS. Its all good. Come on over the Fort Worth if you like. In my old neighborhood is Sammie's off Beach at 121. Then Railhead over by the Cultural District. I guess Angelo's is still around.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Wow, thanks everyone for so much feedback Well I was on the phone last night and it happened to go past midnight, meaning I can no longer cancel the ticket (24-hour refund rule) so I'm going with the shorter 3.5-hour layover.

Looking at Google Maps and taking your advice, I think I'll have enough time to hit up Hard Eight BBQ in Coppell (which, coincidentally, is where my best friend's family lives; this is the best friend who I went on my road trip with which brought me to Dallas last time). Seems like it wouldn't be more than a $25 taxi fare each way... so I would probably get a car from Hertz since they're having their Freedom rate weekend specials (I can get a car for $30 or so all-in). I'm banking on getting in on time, 30 minutes to get from the gate to the point where I'm driving off the lot, 20 minutes to get to Hard Eight, another 20 minutes to get to a gas station near the car rental, and then 20 minutes to drop off the car and get to check-in. I need to be checked-in by 4:45, so if my planning pans out I'd have around an hour and a half to eat

Thanks again everyone for your input! I'm really looking forward to a good meal. Do any of you know if they can pack food to go? I'd love to take some back with me to SLC to have during the week or to share with my suite mates. I'm thinking a good amount of food, and I can check a bag with it.

-J.

P.S. This is gonna be SO much better than going to Wichita

Last edited by GW McLintock; Aug 29, 2012 at 2:07 am
Old Aug 29, 2012, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jzweighaft
Do any of you know if they can pack food to go? I'd love to take some back with me to SLC to have during the week or to share with my suite mates. I'm thinking a good amount of food, and I can check a bag with it.
They certainly do to-go orders. I think smaller portions usually get wrapped in foil, then a grocery-style plastic bag; larger portions are usually put in a catering-style foil pan. If you let them know you're traveling, they'll be able to wrap to your needs.

If you're doing an especially large order, I'd call ahead and ask about pricing. Last time I was at Hard Eight, the guy in front of me got a whole brisket to go, and seemed to pay less than the standard $12.50/lb small orders rate.

Finally, don't pack the meat in the same bag with any clothes that won't be washed when you get home. And you may not want to use your good suitcase. No matter how well wrapped it is, expect that wonderful smoke smell to spread...
Old Sep 3, 2012, 9:38 pm

Feedstore BBQ in Southlake is pretty good...their chopped brisket sandwich is one of the better ones i've had. Probably about a 20-30 min drive from the airport.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Well I managed to go to Hard Eight; I didn't eat any of it there but I got about $50 of meat (giggity) to go (brisket, ribs, sausage, and a half chicken, as well as some BBQ sauce and a roll). Wrapped up the metal foil container with newspaper and kept it in the plastic bag, and I checked that in my duffel bag (Sky Priority and fragile stickers so they took care of it). The food is really good

I almost wish I scheduled the longer layover so I could have enjoyed some food there. But Delta fed me and inebriated me twice that day so I didn't mind too much.

-J.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 8:41 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage, Aerolineas Plus, Hertz, Hyatt, Marriott , SPG.
Hi. I have a layover at DFW on a Saturday in a few weeks.

I'm interested in some shopping (women's clothing and computer/related accessories) and/or sights in Dallas. Arrive at 5:00AM, depart 7:35pm, and want to rent a car for the day with Hertz.

Looking for suggestions, advice.

BTW, what time should I go back to the airport and check bags?. I'm flying AA to EZE at 7:35pm
Old Sep 17, 2012, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by starlanet
Hi. I have a layover at DFW on a Saturday in a few weeks.

I'm interested in some shopping (women's clothing and computer/related accessories) and/or sights in Dallas. Arrive at 5:00AM, depart 7:35pm, and want to rent a car for the day with Hertz.

Looking for suggestions, advice.

BTW, what time should I go back to the airport and check bags?. I'm flying AA to EZE at 7:35pm
For electronics, it's probably hard to beat Fry's. There are several area locations, including one off of 635, about 5-10 minutes NE of the airport.

I'm no expert on women's fashions, but for mall shopping, there's midscale Grapevine Mills (just N of the airport), and upscale Galleria or North Park (both in Dallas).
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:24 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by swag
For electronics, it's probably hard to beat Fry's. There are several area locations, including one off of 635, about 5-10 minutes NE of the .
Fry's is a great place

Just watch out for dfw-connector-project-dont-late-your-flight

EmailKid
Old Sep 18, 2012, 2:42 pm

There is also a Dillard's Outlet in Irving Mall on the South side of the airport.

I have mixed feelings about the outlet (it is packed to the gills and usually the prices are the same as the lowest marked price in a regular Dillard's before they were shipped to the outlet), but if they have a substantial discount in the particular section on top of that, it can be worth it. e.g. I just bought a bunch of decent (Perry Ellis) men's dress shirts there for ~$8/each back in July.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.