Last edit by: aztimm
AUS / Austin-Bergstrom International Airport

AA Forum: AUS-Bergstrom Internation Airport thread

BA Forum: Thread about AUS-LHR Service

Hertz at AUS: Austin Bergstrom Airport

Valet Parking at Austin-Bergstrom

AUS Ready for 747 Charters

International Arrivals at AUS

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

AUS Airport General Questions [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2022, 1:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
I've been upgraded into F on a scheduled UA AUS-IAH flight and the FA's never even got out of their seats.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 12:04 pm

Hi,

A reddit poster requested that anyone with shots of QF7 visiting Austin share pictures with y'all of both QF7, so here they are along with some of LH440, the Lufthansa B748 that diverted from IAH yesterday. Unfortunately, I can't post the images directly or link to the imgur albums because I am a new poster, but you can copy/paste these to view via imgur:

LH440: /a/6jkR1XV
QF7: /a/B3de2W2
@atx.spotter on Instagram
Old Aug 26, 2022, 3:37 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Well, that is a creative way of allowing us to see the photos. Thanks for taking the time.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 9:23 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I'm a little late to the party, but there was a power outage at AUS this morning that pretty much shut down everything. Power is restored, but sounds like it is still a mess:
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...port-terminal/

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Power was restored to Barbara Jordan Terminal at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport just before 8 a.m. Wednesday after travelers were left in the dark for two to three hours that morning.

The airport posted on social media just before 5 a.m. confirming a power outage in the terminal. It said, “airport teams have been dispatched to investigate the cause of the outage.” An AUS spokesperson told KXAN just before 6:30 a.m. backup generators did kick in then.

AUS said flights were previously halted, but as of 9:48 a.m. the ground stop was lifted. KXAN crews inside the terminal said security lines began screening passengers at 7:40 a.m., and AUS officials confirmed this.
I'm flying out later today on the BA flight, so hoping everything is better (I'm sure not best) by then. The aircraft left LHR on-time and is scheduled to arrive at AUS on-time.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 9:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
The BA flight should be fine, but I'm sure iit was a mess this morning. I flew out yesterday and that place is packed at all times now
Old Sep 7, 2022, 9:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wakesetter93
The BA flight should be fine, but I'm sure iit was a mess this morning. I flew out yesterday and that place is packed at all times now
Oh if you have time to kill, check this thread on Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Austin/comm...ort_just_lose/

There are stories of people walking from the TX-71 interchange to the terminal (I'm guessing 1/2 mile), with roller bags, etc. Also people joking about campfires at some gates...and a UA agent manually wrote out boarding passes to get a flight out.
wakesetter93 likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 11:55 am

I'll check that out at lunch!
Old Oct 6, 2022, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Platinum
But it's Whataburger!!!!

Appreciate that the locals are proud of the new local offerings at the airport but some of us don't get the pleasure of having a Whataburger nearby and don't indulge frequently. Just like the folks who rush to leave LAX to get to In N'Out (and clog the nearby streets for a teeny overpriced tasteless burger) some of us want to get our Whataburger fill (besides airport food tends to be more expensive).
I've got at least 5 hours to kill there and besides the AA lounge, was hoping to be able to safely walk to Whataburger and back. Google says I can but also says I can pay $1.25 each way for the bus (and wait/time my return to the 15 mins). Should I walk or take the bus? Thanks.

Originally Posted by boerne
As aztimm mentioned, you can get to the Whataburger by walking. Likely 20 minutes one way. Security will be a problem, and I don't know if there is a place to stash luggage inside the terminal, so you may have to lug it around. Trying to use a shuttle, walk, then shuttle again might be an hour or more. The new places open in the terminal are much better. Would suggest Salt Lick BBQ (not the best in town but adequate) or even better Tacodeli. This was my place for breakfast tacos for the hospital team in the mornings. Second Bar and Kitchen was a go to for us when we lived in downtown Austin I would expect it to be good. Our kids had their wedding reception at Parkside downtown so can recommend Parkside in the airport, have not eaten there. Also Haymaker had a great hamburger at their anchor on Manor east of the University. That was a common stop for me after being on call at the hospital. Also good beer selection. I do not see burgers on the menu posted on google. Basically several of the new eateries in the airport are local, classic Austin spots, so you might take a look. Also, I assume you know the nutritional data on Whataburger's offerings. for instance There are 1160 calories in a Hatch Green Chili Bacon Burger from Whataburger. Most of those calories come from fat (55%).

Just sayin... And this just in

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/09/healt...ess/index.html
Old Oct 7, 2022, 1:46 pm

Does the Hilton or Hyatt have a shuttle? Just hop on that
Old Oct 10, 2022, 11:47 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Yes they have shuttles
Old Oct 21, 2022, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

FYI, the FAA is doing, "flow control," into AUS this weekend, due to increased private jet traffic for F1:
https://www.kxan.com/sports/f1-austi...irport-delays/

They said it’s called a ground delay program, and the idea is by temporarily holding flights from taking off, the air and runway space here in Austin doesn’t get jammed up and cause even longer delays for other flights.
The article mentions flights from DFW, but I'm not sure how much of an impact that would have...AA has maybe 8 per day. Before COVID at peak, I think there were about 12 to 15 flights between DFW and AUS per day.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 4:13 pm

AUS was a mess today with all the F1 traffic trying to leave and diversions from DAL/DFW. Lots of unique visitors!
Old Mar 8, 2023, 12:49 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Hi,

Flying in business on BA from LHR (Monday app 3pm) and connect to AA to PHX in economy around 3h later.
- looks like there is no priority lounge / Amex lounge or anything I could achieve with Star Alliance gold or United Lounge passes as I don't have a Star Alliance flight
- Carry on only
- Global entry/ Clear > do I have to go through security again after immigration or can I stay in the clean area?
Any suggestions on how to make this as relaxed as possible?
Old Mar 8, 2023, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blitzen
Hi,

Flying in business on BA from LHR (Monday app 3pm) and connect to AA to PHX in economy around 3h later.
- looks like there is no priority lounge / Amex lounge or anything I could achieve with Star Alliance gold or United Lounge passes as I don't have a Star Alliance flight
- Carry on only
- Global entry/ Clear > do I have to go through security again after immigration or can I stay in the clean area?
Any suggestions on how to make this as relaxed as possible?
Yes, unfortunately everyone from the BA flight gets funneled through CBP (if you have Global Entry just use a kiosk, then go to an agent), then you have to exit. You'll have to keep walking down past baggage claim for a bit, then take the escalators up to re-clear security. With GE and Clear, it shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes. There is a surprisingly amount of walking involved from the aircraft to the CBP / baggage claim area.

If you are flying BA in a premium cabin (business or F), you should get access to the AA lounge. But otherwise, you won't have lounge access. I'd recommend going to the outside viewing area (follow signs for the DL lounge, it is right next to it), and hang out there, maybe pick up something to eat/drink before heading out.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 1:16 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by aztimm
Yes, unfortunately everyone from the BA flight gets funneled through CBP (if you have Global Entry just use a kiosk, then go to an agent), then you have to exit. You'll have to keep walking down past baggage claim for a bit, then take the escalators up to re-clear security. With GE and Clear, it shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes. There is a surprisingly amount of walking involved from the aircraft to the CBP / baggage claim area.

If you are flying BA in a premium cabin (business or F), you should get access to the AA lounge. But otherwise, you won't have lounge access. I'd recommend going to the outside viewing area (follow signs for the DL lounge, it is right next to it), and hang out there, maybe pick up something to eat/drink before heading out.
Thanks. I might just replace the AA AUS-PHX with a Southwest AUS-PHX cutting the connection time down to 2h (sounds that it is still plenty of time). If I remember the terminal is relatively small so Southwest and AA gates are all close to each other.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.