Last edit by: aztimm
AUS / Austin-Bergstrom International Airport

AA Forum: AUS-Bergstrom Internation Airport thread

BA Forum: Thread about AUS-LHR Service

Hertz at AUS: Austin Bergstrom Airport

Valet Parking at Austin-Bergstrom

AUS Ready for 747 Charters

International Arrivals at AUS

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

AUS Airport General Questions [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2021, 6:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by trainman74
I have a long layover at AUS coming up. Is it possible to easily get to the Whataburger next to the cell phone lot? It's a little hard to tell (because Google's street view and satellite imagery is old), but it appears to be walkable from the Hyatt Place. Any issue with using their shuttle to get there and back, or will they turn me away if I'm not a hotel guest?
How long is your layover?
There are some decent food options in the terminal. Security at AUS can be a mess. Even with precheck, you could have a bit of a wait.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 9:02 pm

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
Originally Posted by aztimm
How long is your layover?
There are some decent food options in the terminal. Security at AUS can be a mess. Even with precheck, you could have a bit of a wait.
2 hours 40 minutes, unless Southwest is having another operational meltdown.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 6:47 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
As aztimm mentioned, you can get to the Whataburger by walking. Likely 20 minutes one way. Security will be a problem, and I don't know if there is a place to stash luggage inside the terminal, so you may have to lug it around. Trying to use a shuttle, walk, then shuttle again might be an hour or more. The new places open in the terminal are much better. Would suggest Salt Lick BBQ (not the best in town but adequate) or even better Tacodeli. This was my place for breakfast tacos for the hospital team in the mornings. Second Bar and Kitchen was a go to for us when we lived in downtown Austin I would expect it to be good. Our kids had their wedding reception at Parkside downtown so can recommend Parkside in the airport, have not eaten there. Also Haymaker had a great hamburger at their anchor on Manor east of the University. That was a common stop for me after being on call at the hospital. Also good beer selection. I do not see burgers on the menu posted on google. Basically several of the new eateries in the airport are local, classic Austin spots, so you might take a look. Also, I assume you know the nutritional data on Whataburger's offerings. for instance There are 1160 calories in a Hatch Green Chili Bacon Burger from Whataburger. Most of those calories come from fat (55%).

Just sayin... And this just in

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/09/healt...ess/index.html
Old Nov 22, 2021, 8:37 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Fun area near gate 14 AUS

Imaginary gate with some amusing commentary from the gate agent
Old Nov 22, 2021, 8:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by boerne
I feel like something is missing here
MareLuce likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
So is there a new display or kids' fun area near Gate 14 now? Or just a gate agent who's practicing to be a stand up?

David
Old Nov 23, 2021, 11:01 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

There's a thread on Reddit about this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Austin/comm...tures_at_abia/
Old Nov 23, 2021, 11:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Ah, that makes sense now
Old Nov 23, 2021, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
There's a thread on Reddit about this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Austin/comm...tures_at_abia/
Ah, a display. Some FT folks would have great fun planning those interimaginary trips.

I can see the posts now: "Oh, the points we'd earn..."

David
Old Apr 7, 2022, 1:01 pm

Be aware of departure delays from AUS due to minimalist TSA stuff. Clear is your friend.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...l-17034638.php
Old Apr 7, 2022, 1:17 pm

I feel like AUS has insane TSA delays more often than not recently.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Be aware of departure delays from AUS due to minimalist TSA stuff. Clear is your friend.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...l-17034638.php
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
I feel like AUS has insane TSA delays more often than not recently.
I cleared security (PreCheck, no Clear) this afternoon and it took maybe 3 minutes. No line for check-in (AS).

Oddly, the terminal was quite busy, especially for the middle of the day on a Thursday. I left from gate 32, and nearly all of the seats toward the end of the terminal were taken. Of course you have limited seating near the end and a bunch of gates.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 1:39 am

I cleared security (PreCheck, no Clear) this afternoon and it took maybe 3 minutes. No line for check-in (AS).

Oddly, the terminal was quite busy, especially for the middle of the day on a Thursday. I left from gate 32, and nearly all of the seats toward the end of the terminal were taken. Of course you have limited seating near the end and a bunch of gates.
It seems like the early morning flights are when the craziness occurs. I agree later in the day flight departures don't seem to have the line problems. Growing pains, that may get worse because of these

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/07/cars/...rty/index.html
https://www.samsung.com/us/sas/News/...21FabExpansion
https://www.kvue.com/article/money/e...3-27a2397b785c
Old Apr 11, 2022, 11:02 am

Clear AUS

So hypothetically, we may have a nested TATL inside a RT to PHL. Today the clear guy gave my wife the 3rd degree about “where else are you going and how long are you stayin”. My wife the attorney said PHL only and not long. Never had this before. Was not a TSA person, clear logo on shirt. Anyone seen this before?
Old Apr 12, 2022, 8:09 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
I have read about the crazy lines at AUS. I usually fly mid-day without issue, but have an 8am flight in a couple weeks. I have CLEAR and Pre-Check. Will those get me around the crazy lines or should I plan to arrive several hours early?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.