Error Message when updating Wiki

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Error Message when updating Wiki

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2022, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by IBJoel
plug-ins and products are updated by someone without our (yours, mine, or tech's) input and we're all left wondering, "Who the Hell approved that?"
https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2795.txt
GW McLintock and IBJoel like this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Any further updates on fixage? Links embedded in wiki not selectable/clickable.

David
Old Dec 21, 2022, 11:51 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by DELee
Any further updates on fixage? Links embedded in wiki not selectable/clickable.

David
Could you link me to an example wikipost that has links?

My update is that I'm currently in a fight with a major product manager at IB because they did a bunch of stuff with zero input from people who use the product. Like the latest version of wikiposts not supporting revision history.
beltway likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Could you link me to an example wikipost that has links?

My update is that I'm currently in a fight with a major product manager at IB because they did a bunch of stuff with zero input from people who use the product. Like the latest version of wikiposts not supporting revision history.
Here's one that I posted earlier:

David
IBJoel likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 12:25 pm

Here's one that I posted earlier:
Links in the wiki work fine for me.

That said, unless a link is just a raw URL, there’s no way to tell it’s a link—no underlining, different font color, or other visual distinction is generated. This, too, is a change from the past, and most unwelcome.
Sisosig likes this.

Last edited by beltway; Dec 21, 2022 at 12:32 pm
Old Dec 21, 2022, 12:31 pm
Administrator

Originally Posted by beltway
Possibly because I just edited it to test out. When I originally looked at it, the links were indeed not working
Old Dec 21, 2022, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Possibly because I just edited it to test out. When I originally looked at it, the links were indeed not working
Yes - links now working. Was thinking that any software fixes would not require any further maintenance of an existing wiki and its links since it would be better if the developers would simply fix the wiki code and not force more manual activity across all of FlyerTalk.

David

That said, unless a link is just a raw URL, there’s no way to tell it’s a link—no underlining, different font color, or other visual distinction is generated. This, too, is a change from the past, and most unwelcome.
Completely concur with this.

David

Yes - links now working. Was thinking that any software fixes would not require any further maintenance of an existing wiki and its links since it would be better if the developers would simply fix the wiki code and not force more manual activity across all of FlyerTalk.

David
While the links from the wiki above now work - they _do_not_ open in another tab or window.

David

Last edited by cblaisd; Dec 21, 2022 at 1:52 pm Reason: merged poster's three consecutive posts
Old Dec 21, 2022, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I was able to edit the wiki for the LAX happy hour thread. Only issue that I see is that the timestamp for the update is still showing 1969?
Old Dec 23, 2022, 10:09 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Wikis continue to be super messed up. Lack of history, some still not showing up on mobile.

I just had a bizarre experience editing the wiki in this thread as well. I edited some text that was right around the cut-off when the wiki was collapsed (i.e. before you hit Show More). The text stayed fine when editing the wiki, but no matter what I did, when I saved the wiki, it kept getting truncated with an ellipsis in the same place. I eventually solved it by deleting that whole block of text, saving it, then adding it back. But super weird.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 10:49 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Wikis continue to be super messed up. Lack of history, some still not showing up on mobile.

I just had a bizarre experience editing the wiki in this thread as well. I edited some text that was right around the cut-off when the wiki was collapsed (i.e. before you hit Show More). The text stayed fine when editing the wiki, but no matter what I did, when I saved the wiki, it kept getting truncated with an ellipsis in the same place. I eventually solved it by deleting that whole block of text, saving it, then adding it back. But super weird.
We essentially need an entirely new release developed for wikiposts. They removed a bunch of features (revision history being arguably the biggest one) for some... unknown reason. I'll take a look at that thread you linked though, that seems like an outright bug. Was there any special formatting you did with the text?
Old Dec 23, 2022, 2:33 pm

I'll take a look at that thread you linked though, that seems like an outright bug. Was there any special formatting you did with the text?
You can see what I think is the same bug in the wiki at Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard. The collapsed wiki cuts off the text in the middle of a word—which is another problem in itself—and inserts a carriage return mid-word (anniversar CRLF y) when the wiki is expanded.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 10:25 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
We essentially need an entirely new release developed for wikiposts. They removed a bunch of features (revision history being arguably the biggest one) for some... unknown reason.
Very strange. Other than the challenges with infinite scroll on mobile, wikis were something I thought worked pretty well, for the most part.

I'll take a look at that thread you linked though, that seems like an outright bug. Was there any special formatting you did with the text?
It was bold and red, but I get the feeling that wasn't the cause...

The text was bold and red, but
You can see what I think is the same bug in the wiki at Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard. The collapsed wiki cuts off the text in the middle of a word—which is another problem in itself—and inserts a carriage return mid-word (anniversar CRLF y) when the wiki is expanded.
That's exactly the issue I was having. In my case, the cut was after a comma, but I think it was just a coincidence based on the number of characters that were displayed when the wiki was collapsed.
beltway likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 11:37 pm

Very strange. Other than the challenges with infinite scroll on mobile, wikis were something I thought worked pretty well, for the most part..
IMO wikis—which are apparently “Expert How-Tos and Guides” now—worked much better in the past. Much of the problem is the way that text formatting was materially degraded across the board a few years back. (An example: try indenting the bullet list in the sandbox wiki above. If it can be done at all, it’s far too hard/obscure.) But some parts are specific to wikis.

I’m not talking about the stupid way the editor appends another CRLF every time a wiki is edited, which is the least of the annoyances. It’s the fact that several things work very, very badly, starting with the supposedly WYSIWYG editor, which doesn’t accurately display the resulting formatting. And there’s a recurring issue where it is literally impossible to insert a CRLF between paragraphs. Need I even mention the fact that a FT thread URL inserted into a post, as I did above, autogenerates a link with the thread’s title, but this desirable behavior is lacking in the wiki editor?

It’s like working in a restaurant kitchen where periodically some genius decides that the knives need to be duller, the gas flow to the stove burners needs to fluctuate erratically, and the saucepans would work better with scorches on the inside. You can still prep & cook food, but it’s needlessly difficult.
KARFA likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 2:49 pm

Programs: HH D
Cancel will perform a Save Changes

If you edit a wiki and make a mess of it, then try to cancel... sorry for you, but your cancel is now 'saving the changes' anyway.

The issue happened on two different laptops, Chrome, Firefox, Edge, it makes no difference. Guess this started when most of the other issues were fixed recently.

Best work around is to close your browser (tab), I guess.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Sisosig
If you edit a wiki and make a mess of it, then try to cancel... sorry for you, but your cancel is now 'saving the changes' anyway.
This is inexcusable. People have been fired for less, and justifiably. Putting aside the sheer stupidity of some of the intentional changes, how the [EXPLETIVE] do you push such garbage, buggy code into production instead of doing basic testing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.