Wiki Posts
Search

The "The 13 Oct 21 FT 'Like' Feature - [now restored to prior version]" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2024, 9:44 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by IMH
That seems harsh, unless FT no longer generates any income.
Less that and more just corporate priorities.

So a little inside baseball:
  • FT does not generate more revenue than all the rest of travel combined, so it makes more sense long-term to have a single Likes product that is shared by all sites and no tech worker needs specific, separate knowledge on
  • No one that worked on the FT Likes is with the company or in our department anymore.
  • While the new team can devote a lot of time to trying to figure out any current bugs, the next time we have a site update or even a change in a minor code, there could be a new bug, which would then require more dev hours, who may be new and need to re-familiarize themselves with the product, taking time away from other tech projects
  • Since we have a different, standardized, completely working product to replace it, it makes way more sense to just switch over to that
  • Now I know you guys hate the design of the new product, so I've been holding it off. But if the Auto Communities tech team doesn't fix the design by the time FT Likes becomes completely broken, then we'll be stuck with that
  • As you may realize, fixing a relatively minor design issue for a single site that isn't even in their portfolio is not a high priority for them
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy, UA_Flyer and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 9:46 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Thanks, IBJoel . I obviously don't really like your answer, but I appreciate it.
Xyzzy, SamirD and IBJoel like this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
“understand” =\= “like”

(maybe need a new button to capture the difference)
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 2:50 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Talking

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
This has been going on for a long time (see upthread) and I think they decided it is[n't] worth fixing. The ARG:4 only affects you as the user (and me as a user), i.e., only you see yourself as ARG:4 and everyone else sees your proper handle. So I am inclined to agree that the resources are better spent elsewhere.

-J.
Yep, we've been ARGuing the merit of fixing it, but ARG, it's such a pain to fix it apparently...
Old Jan 26, 2024, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
ime it occurs randomly; also occasionally appears as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]

full disclosure, I’m not a software guy and haven’t had coffee yet this morning, so I’m totally spitballing here — if I’m not mistaken, it reverts to the expected display of “You” on subsequent FT visits, which suggests it may have something to do with an attribute of the current session that’s temporarily corrupted
This is an interesting observation! How can one recreate what you are seeing?
Old Jan 26, 2024, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Less that and more just corporate priorities.

So a little inside baseball:
  • FT does not generate more revenue than all the rest of travel combined, so it makes more sense long-term to have a single Likes product that is shared by all sites and no tech worker needs specific, separate knowledge on
  • No one that worked on the FT Likes is with the company or in our department anymore.
  • While the new team can devote a lot of time to trying to figure out any current bugs, the next time we have a site update or even a change in a minor code, there could be a new bug, which would then require more dev hours, who may be new and need to re-familiarize themselves with the product, taking time away from other tech projects
  • Since we have a different, standardized, completely working product to replace it, it makes way more sense to just switch over to that
  • Now I know you guys hate the design of the new product, so I've been holding it off. But if the Auto Communities tech team doesn't fix the design by the time FT Likes becomes completely broken, then we'll be stuck with that
  • As you may realize, fixing a relatively minor design issue for a single site that isn't even in their portfolio is not a high priority for them
Thank you so much for the insight. Tell everyone there at IB that Samir says hello (met everyone at ForumCon when it was still around, if anyone that remembers that is still around, lol).
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Can we please add the Like functionality to the OMNI/Games forum?

We want to like people who get Wordle in 1/6 or 2/6.
Originally Posted by IBJoel
Oh interesting. I'll check it out
IBJoel , any updates?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.