Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CCPA Compliance, Cookie consent, issues

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2020, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

CCPA Compliance, Cookie consent, issues

The new cookie consent interrogation that went live today is a serious pain in the proverbial, especially if your browser is set to clear itself on exit. Is this extended version strictly necessary?

Maybe it's an in-the-EU thing...
It doesn't seem work to too well on Android either.
chistery likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 1:29 pm
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by Johnnieboy
The new cookie consent interrogation that went live today is a serious pain in the proverbial, especially if your browser is set to clear itself on exit. Is this extended version strictly necessary?

Maybe it's an in-the-EU thing...
It doesn't seem work to too well on Android either.
It is a requirement for CCPA compliance.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Thanks. Is that because that is where FT is hosted, irrespective of where the user is?
Old Aug 19, 2020, 3:27 pm
Administrator

Thanks. Is that because that is where FT is hosted, irrespective of where the user is?
Yes, I'm pretty sure that's correct.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's correct.
Thank you.

I am still having problems with this new dialogue box on my mobile (Android 10).

On opening FT, if I don't manage to immediately scroll down quickly enough to hit the blue accept button on the previous grey cookies dialogue box (which still comes up as well), the new white dialogue box appears over the top of that and freezes. I can't change any settings in it or scroll down to hit accept. So I have to exit the site and try to be quicker next time...

Now I know I could just never clear my browser cache for this to be a one time problem, but it's still a problem.

Any ideas how to correct this?

Thanks!!
Old Aug 21, 2020, 8:04 am
Administrator

Thank you.

I am still having problems with this new dialogue box on my mobile (Android 10).

On opening FT, if I don't manage to immediately scroll down quickly enough to hit the blue accept button on the previous grey cookies dialogue box (which still comes up as well), the new white dialogue box appears over the top of that and freezes. I can't change any settings in it or scroll down to hit accept. So I have to exit the site and try to be quicker next time...

Now I know I could just never clear my browser cache for this to be a one time problem, but it's still a problem.

Thanks!!
No, unfortunately. You would just have to keep your cache intact.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 1:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Skywards Silver
Thank you.

Thanks!!
I tried to use FT on my iPad this morning and it appears to be impossible to access any of the buttons on the new cookie form, so currently stuck. Help please.
BTW it works ok on my much hated Windows 10 laptop.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As USA law does not apply where I am, so it should not be on my screen
USA law only apply in USA: not the complete world, no matter what USA politicians and/or lawyers think. They do not have jurisdiction.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califo...er_Privacy_Act
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 2:57 pm
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
As USA law does not apply where I am, so it should not be on my screen
USA law only apply in USA: not the complete world, no matter what USA politicians and/or lawyers think. They do not have jurisdiction.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califo...er_Privacy_Act
Right, but WE do business in California. We can't base the banner on your location. We don't have GPS coordinates on every user.
JDiver and TWA884 like this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We do business in California. I don't think it matters where the individual user is.
USA laws do not apply in Australia. In Australia only the Australian government can and does make laws.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 3:01 pm
Administrator

Originally Posted by jimthewhiz
I tried to use FT on my iPad this morning and it appears to be impossible to access any of the buttons on the new cookie form, so currently stuck. Help please.
BTW it works ok on my much hated Windows 10 laptop.
Are they not functioning for you or they are hidden? Try switching to mobile/desktop skin if you are on the other.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 2:48 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
On opening FT, if I don't manage to immediately scroll down quickly enough [...] the new white dialogue box appears over the top of that and freezes.
Same for me today, accessing FT on a PC for the first time this week. Windows 10, Firefox 79.0. The workaround involved going to a non-forum part of FT and responding rapidly. Not an acceptable level of usability by any stretch.

We can't base the banner on your location.
For the past couple of years FT has served me a GPDR notice whenever my IP address suggests that I'm in the EU.

Why not allow users to set all their cookie and privacy preferences in their profiles? My country of residence is already stored there for compliance reasons.

Last edited by IMH; Aug 23, 2020 at 9:03 am Reason: Windows 10 not 19
Old Aug 23, 2020, 8:09 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
Originally Posted by IMH
Same for me today, accessing FT on a PC for the first time this week. Windows 19, Firefox 79.0. The workaround involved going to a non-forum part of FT and responding rapidly. Not an acceptable level of usability by any stretch.

I have exactly the same problem using Win 10 with Firefox 79.0 (the latest version). It does not allow me to select any of the buttons on the splash screen and in effect I cannot access the forum.

Had to use Chrome just to be able to log in and post this.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 9:27 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by BarneyMcGrew
I have exactly the same problem using Win 10 with Firefox 79.0 (the latest version). It does not allow me to select any of the buttons on the splash screen and in effect I cannot access the forum.

Had to use Chrome just to be able to log in and post this.
Originally Posted by IMH
Same for me today, accessing FT on a PC for the first time this week. Windows 10, Firefox 79.0. The workaround involved going to a non-forum part of FT and responding rapidly. Not an acceptable level of usability by any stretch.

For the past couple of years FT has served me a GPDR notice whenever my IP address suggests that I'm in the EU.

Why not allow users to set all their cookie and privacy preferences in their profiles? My country of residence is already stored there for compliance reasons.
Can you guys try bypassing your cache to see if that works on the buttons working? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipe......_your_cache

I tried the same on Win10/FF and it worked OK.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 10:52 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
Can you guys try bypassing your cache to see if that works on the buttons working? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipe......_your_cache

I tried the same on Win10/FF and it worked OK.
I had tried doing that already and have just tried again - it made no difference whatsoever. The buttons are still not selectable and thus I cannot access the site on Firefox as I can't get rid of the 'splash' screen and thus I can't log in.

Having to use Chrome again just to respond to your post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.