Search

CCPA Compliance, Cookie consent, issues

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2020, 1:28 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by IBJoel
Still need a screenshot
Visually, nothing has changed since I posted a screenshot at your request back in August (post #19 above).
Old Oct 21, 2020, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Can someone please post a screenshot?
Still need a screenshot
The attached is what I am still getting from going straight to www.flyertalk.com. There was one day a couple of days ago when I got a full-size box with working links on that page, but it was very short-lived.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 21, 2020, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We also recommend you don't use incognito or clear browser data upon closing.
Originally Posted by IMH
Sorry, but recommending that users abandon basic security ("don't [...] clear browser data") really isn't going to fly.
I agree. Especially for a site like FT, which might be being accessed from all over the place. You ought to be encouraging people to take basic security steps of this kind, not deterring them from doing so.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 9:45 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
We're rolling out an update, but it has caused problems on other sites, so we aren't putting it on FT yet.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you for the fix. On Chrome, it is at least now possible to read FT - and even log in, if one chooses - without resorting to seriously roundabout routes.

The silver lining for some may have been an increase in thread views for a bunch of random unloved threads on random unloved boards, because copying their URLs was the only way of getting in to FT.
IMH and IBJoel like this.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 9:28 am
IMH

The Chrome fix sounds like good news. Using Firefox, I continue to take roundabout routes.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 11:22 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by IMH
The Chrome fix sounds like good news. Using Firefox, I continue to take roundabout routes.
Try clearing your cache/cookies for the site.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 3:01 am
IMH

For the record, nothing has changed for me since this problem was first reported. Cache and cookies regularly cleared. Firefox (now 82.02) and Windows 10.

Last edited by IMH; Nov 3, 2020 at 11:44 pm Reason: brevity
Old Nov 1, 2020, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If anyone is still getting a cookie preferences pop-up that has dead links, I've discovered something that may solve the problem for some.

The GDPR pop-up has a blue "I AGREE" button. However, the cookies pop-up sits over the GDPR pop-up and covers most of it. In the attached snip, you can see the edges of the GDPR pop-up to either side of the cookies pop-up.

What I've found is this: If the cookies pop-up's links are dead, the blue "I AGREE" button is not. If you move your cursor over the button, it turns into a hand and the button is clickable - even though you can't see the button because it's hidden by the cookies pop-up.

Once you have clicked the (hidden) "I AGREE" button in the GDPR pop-up, the cookies pop-up's links come live and can be clicked and the cookies pop-up cleared.
Attached Images  
IBJoel likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 1:17 am
IMH

That's interesting, Globaliser. For me, the GPDR pop-up is significantly narrower than the TrustArc pop-up (and thus completely covered).
Old Nov 2, 2020, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IMH
That's interesting, Globaliser. For me, the GPDR pop-up is significantly narrower than the TrustArc pop-up (and thus completely covered).
Might it be worth trying to guess the location of the "I AGREE" button on the GDPR pop-up to see whether it's live, and whether that then allows the cookies pop-up to come live?

I only found this when accidentally waving my cursor over bits of the cookies pop-up that were of no actual interest, and suddenly noticing that the pointer changed.
IMH likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 11:25 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by IMH
Might be a result of screen resolution
Old Nov 3, 2020, 11:43 pm
IMH

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Might it be worth trying to guess the location of the "I AGREE" button on the GDPR pop-up to see whether it's live, and whether that then allows the cookies pop-up to come live?
We have a winner. The GDPR pop-up was indeed hiding -- not visible, but clickable 'through' the inactive and frozen TrustArc pop-up. After I gave my blessing to the invisble GDPR terms, the TrustArc pop-up became scrollable and clickable.

Many thanks, Globaliser! Asking users to "try waving the cursor around a bit" should now join the list of last-resort suggestions kept up the sleeves of flummoxed support staff and people giving advice to non-techie friends and relatives.
Globaliser and IBJoel like this.

Last edited by IMH; Nov 4, 2020 at 11:42 pm Reason: GDPR, not GPDR.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IMH
Asking users to "try waving the cursor around a bit" should now join the list of last-resort suggestions kept up the sleeves of flummoxed support staff and people giving advice to non-techie friends and relatives.
I've found that this works on my tablet too.

Those instructions would have to be rather vaguer, though, on a tablet. It basically amounts to stabbing the cookie pop-up in random places until I hit the hidden "I AGREE" button underneath. Would look very odd if I were doing it in public.

I'm not sure whether to be frustrated or consoled by the fact that even though I have to go through this process, none of the third-party cookies will ever arrive on my browser anyway.
IMH likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 9:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Skywards Silver
I appreciate the attempts to find a work around, but why not just get it fixed. As far as I can see its just got worse and I have almost given up using the site at present as it still doesn't work on my IPad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.