Wiki Posts
Search

Feedback on FT new style, March 2018

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2018, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CPRich
So other than how it looks, and the content, nothing else is wrong?

Maybe I'll pass that on to my UX team - how the site looks isn't a big deal, focus on the other stuff.
There's nothing wrong with the box. The pages render faster than they did before, and much of the issues I was having are resolved. The font size is the biggest issue I have and it would be nice to have the white toned down a bit. 90% of the issues have been cosmetic. (Excluding the never ending ad hijacks on mobile.) The video was more in reference to the fact it wasn't a "Moved Cheese" but the fact that the complaints have mostly centred around the aesthetics. If there was more effort in to getting things to look right, the complaints here would probably end. But we're a few weeks in and several seemingly simple things haven't been fixed.

It isn't often always about the product, but the experience. The product can be absolute dreck, but if the experience is good, the end user will be happy.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 5:38 pm
No longer with Internet Brands
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Still can’t jump back to the FORUM after replying to a post. Here, in the Delta forum:
I am not seeing the issue -- can you explain?
Old Apr 5, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by lo2e
Was it by design to have three different shades of blue (plus the blue-ish graphic at the very top of the page) on the MyFT page?
1 and 3 are the same color, or at least supposed to be the same color, but it clashes with 2 which is just a horrendous color choice. There is also another blue that some, but not all, buttons switch to when you mouse over them. The quote post button being an example. I wish the blue the buttons change to was the default blue the website used, I think it is perfect. It isn't as jarring as the 2nd blue but it is also more attractive and will render better across all devices than #1/3.

Originally Posted by intuition
No, the desktop skin is meant to be used on desktop devices. It doesn't work very well on mobile. You can select what skin to use in you r personal settings under Setting&options/Edit options

Use zoom control in your browser (cmd minus and cmd plus).
But maybe you are on mobile device and using the desktop skin, then you are out of luck. The desktop design is meant for desktop devices and just doesn't work very well on mobile. Try the mobile skin.
Unfortunately, this isn't always applicable advice because there are multiple pages on FT where vastly different font sizes are used and most browser zoom controls are site wide. So if I zoom to 120% on one FT page, like the reply to thread page I'm currently on, it'll zoom to 120% on the trending threads page which makes it completely useless. It's especially unfortunate on the trending threads page because the forum directory needs zoom in order to be read.

Luckily my vision isn't abandoning me yet so I can make it work at default zoom. Feel bad for some of the old timers around here though.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by RumPatrol
Feel bad for some of the old timers around here though.
Hrmph. I get the distinct impression the font changes were done intentionally as a nod to recognizing the fact that the FT core readership is aging out; the default post font is way bigger than in the previous FT versions before it.
RumPatrol likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 12:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
I may have missed it being reported, but just noticed that hyperlinks in signature blocks aren't showing underlined either. Maybe fixing the others will fix that, maybe not?

See pasts by KARFA for an example.
jackal likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 1:52 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Is there any way of me reverting to how the forums worked last year?
I can’t use this new format, it just doesn’t function on my iPhone in a way that I can work with.
I struggle to enter text as the cursor disappears every time I enter something and it won’t let me edit posts I have made, as it refuses to let me scroll down to the bit I want to edit.

is there an easy way to revert to the old functionality as this is truly awful?
Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:51 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black

Unfortunately, this isn't always applicable advice because there are multiple pages on FT where vastly different font sizes are used and most browser zoom controls are site wide. So if I zoom to 120% on one FT page, like the reply to thread page I'm currently on, it'll zoom to 120% on the trending threads page which makes it completely useless. It's especially unfortunate on the trending threads page because the forum directory needs zoom in order to be read.
Yes you are right. It is not a universal fix, as some parts of the site has different font sizes. Personally, I never go to "trending" and stay 99% of the time in forums or thread pages, where a 133% zoom has made the pages perfect for me. They are uncluttered and easy to read and has very little "white space".

The problem in 'Trending' and some other pages is that the left column is too wide. Together with the ads on the right, a lot of the page width is occupied leaving too little space for the actual content. I supposed IB solved that by using the condensed font in a smaller size than on the rest of the pages. But just like you say, the zoom control is site wide, so when not all pages of the site is similar in size, you can't find a perfect zoom level.

The true problem with font sizes is that some people are now complaining that the fonts are way to big while some claims fonts are so small it is unreadable. This probably comes from people using the desktop skin on anything between smartphones and 4k 30" desktop, where resolution is one issue but also that mobile browsers rendes pages very differntly than desktop browsers. There is a mobile skin, but it seems people are reluctant to use it. So now we are getting a desktop skin trying to cover everything while satisfying no one.

Just my 2 cents.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by adobbing
Is there any way of me reverting to how the forums worked last year?
I can’t use this new format, it just doesn’t function on my iPhone in a way that I can work with.
I struggle to enter text as the cursor disappears every time I enter something and it won’t let me edit posts I have made, as it refuses to let me scroll down to the bit I want to edit.

is there an easy way to revert to the old functionality as this is truly awful?
I agree. The new format is absolutely AWFUL. It lags, it does not load correctly, and it is causing me to spend less time on the Flyertalk site. Please revert back to the version circa 2016. Again, the new site is absolutely AWFUL.
adobbing likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 5:02 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Couldn’t agree more!

I am spending far less time on the site and perhaps more tellingly, I am receiving notably fewer notifications of new posts to threads I am subscribed to.

This presumably would indicate that other people are also using less!

I am contributing far less, as it’s getting far too difficult to do so!
Surely the whole point of Flyertalk is to encourage contributions, rather than discourage them?
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 5:18 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
On my desktop screen, 1 and 3 look identical, but they definitely clash with 2.
1 and 3 are the same color, or at least supposed to be the same color, but it clashes with 2 which is just a horrendous color choice. There is also another blue that some, but not all, buttons switch to when you mouse over them. The quote post button being an example. I wish the blue the buttons change to was the default blue the website used, I think it is perfect. It isn't as jarring as the 2nd blue but it is also more attractive and will render better across all devices than #1/3.
Ok, not sure if it's a bit of an optical illusion, but 3 looks a little lighter in hue to me than 1 does. But I'll take both of your words on it that if you say they're the same, then they're the same.

I do think 1 and 3 really clash with 2, and when you add in the graphic at the very top, you now have several different shades of blue in the same space. Disgusting looking!
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Okay, not the myflyertalk list of tracked subscriptions is TINY, the font has gotten very small. No changes on my part. Is there some setting where this can be changed?
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:56 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Still can’t jump back to the FORUM after replying to a post. Here, in the Delta forum:
Scroll all the way down and it should be there.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:33 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I've been finding this very frustrating today. There is no length of block above one that does not trigger a vertical scrollbar, and any block that is more than four lines in length has at least one line that is obscured and requires scrolling to read, even though a longer block allows you to read the first five, six, seven or more lines before having to scroll down.
I have asked tech to fix this.
Globaliser likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:33 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by nmenaker
Okay, not the myflyertalk list of tracked subscriptions is TINY, the font has gotten very small. No changes on my part. Is there some setting where this can be changed?
No setting, but we are working on it.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I always used the normal (full site) on my phone, but now the mobile app is better than the current version. Says a lot from me, as I've always avoided the mobile app. The current version is definitely not as functional as previous versions. On the computer I have figured it out, but using the full version on my phone is so painful I don't even bother to look at FT anymore. And god forbid I want to respond from my phone. As soon you start typing, the text is hidden and you do it blind.

Is the new site format pretty? Yes. Is it functional? No.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.