ARCHIVE: 2017 Disruptive Ads / Advertisement on FT Reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE POST SCREENSHOTS of the FULL SCREEN and report your DEVICE TYPE, BROWSER TYPE AND VERSION, and COUNTRY where you are browsing from in your post.This thread is strictly for the reporting of disruptive ads, including unwanted popups, page hijscks, malware attempts, etc. related to ad content. Please refrain from discussion or speculation about technical issues if they are not reports as specified here.

Originally Posted by IBobi
We apologize for the bad ads. We hope in the new year to have a solution that handles them more proactively and quickly. Thank you for your patience!
We understand disruptive advertisements lessen the enjoyment of your FlyerTalk browsing experience. Please post all disruptive advertisement reports here; your full report (see above) will assist Internet Brands / FlyerTalk in handling these expeditiously. Admin / Tech attempts to respond to all reports speedily, but eliminating problem adverts may require communication with advertisements suppliers or devising technical solutions that may require time. (Internet Brands operates during customary and usual work hours on the U. S. West Coast; holidays, weekends, etc. are observed.)

To see how to include a screen shot in your post, once you have taken the screen shot follow the instructions "Inserting a photo or image from your device into a post:" in the first post in the thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...mage-post.html

NOTE: Internet Brands and FlyerTalk discourage the use of software that modifies your FlyerTalk browsing experience (e.g. ad blocking software). IB / FT declines all responsibility for the use of such software and can not provide support or assistance if such software is used. As well, we remind you IB / FT can only provide FlyerTalk free to members because of the financial support of advertisers; using ad blockers denies IB / FT income that would normally pay for your free community membership and browsing experience..

Posts suggesting or discussing use of ad blocking etc. software will be summarily deleted.

Link to Archive of older posts

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2017 Disruptive Ads / Advertisement on FT Reports

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2017, 7:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I think it’s mad at me for reporting it. It just did it to me four times in under a minute on another thread. And I got the ad and mandatory jump to another site within about a minute of trying Firefox. So it seems to be FT, not Chrome specific.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Dec 25, 2017 at 7:48 pm
Old Dec 26, 2017, 10:23 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by IBobi
We apologize for the bad ads. We hope in the new year to have a solution that handles them more proactively and quickly. Thank you for your patience!
Posts that are off topic or disruptive, that cast negative attributions or are attacks against IB or others are in violation of the Rules and will continue behind deleted

JDiver, Co-Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 27, 2017 at 9:04 am
Old Dec 26, 2017, 10:59 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond

Motorola Droid Turbo Max. Visiting plain OMNI.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 11:31 am
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
I am amazed that the issue with these incredibly annoying Pop Ups continues. It has now reached the point that I cannot even access FT on my mobile device as the Pop Ups take over every time I go to the site. I have never experienced this on any other site. I find it hard to believe that the IT team at FT does not have the skills to stop this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 2:10 pm
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Thanks Exerda, I have reported that ad.

As far as the ads "counting" as clicks, I can assure you they don't. We like you guys to stay on our pages
Old Dec 26, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do not use any sort of ad ******* on my aging iPad, but I have observed that my solution to the constant page reloads on that device (i.e. disabling Javascript in Safari) has the unfortunate side effect of disabling most of the site's ads. Would someone who does not have to disable Javascript to use the site please inform me when these problems are fixed so I might once more enjoy the bounteous ads that the site provides? TIA.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by IBJoel

As far as the ads "counting" as clicks, I can assure you they don't. We like you guys to stay on our pages
You're welcome!

Here's another instance, different URL (same hardware, viewing Omni/PR at the time).

If I get one of the fake virus ads, I'll post it. Got one earlier but forgot to screen shot it.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 9:41 pm

phony virus ads chrome browser Android

Old Dec 27, 2017, 2:57 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by lewisc

Classy...
Old Dec 27, 2017, 4:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I don’t know how these happen technically. They seem to be much more common on certain threads. Are people hacking the site to add these?
Old Dec 27, 2017, 6:44 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
No. They happen because ad providers add them.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by IBJoel

Disable ads on mobile devices and so many of these problems will go away. Why are you unwilling to do so until such time that you fix the situation?
Old Dec 27, 2017, 7:11 am

Got the same "four virus" hijack spam ad just a minute ago in the /PR forum, I believe within the tweets thread.

Motorola Droid Turbo Max, latest Chrome (not sure of the version #, but I updated it yesterday).

Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:38 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by GB
I am amazed that the issue with these incredibly annoying Pop Ups continues. It has now reached the point that I cannot even access FT on my mobile device as the Pop Ups take over every time I go to the site. I have never experienced this on any other site. I find it hard to believe that the IT team at FT does not have the skills to stop this.
Is it the skills to rectify the pop-ups, or is it a legally binding contract IB entered into with overreaching or incompetent content providers that requires legal action and settlement? I don’t know, but IBobi has stated we will see some of these problems go away close to New Year’s.

Now, let’s get back on topic and post useful information about disruptive ads. (Off topic posts may be summarily deleted.)

Thank you,

JDiver, Co-Moderator

NOTES: If you have a popup warning you of a virus on your device, absolutely ignore it.

“A search on BBB Scam Tracker found that 81 reports this year of similar scams using pop-up messages on phones. On its website, Apple advises its user if they get a pop-up ad or a page warning you about a problem with your device just simply close the pop-up ad, or navigate away from that page and continue browsing.Jul 27, 2017” ABC2 News

The likelihood of virus infection of iOS is very low, and Android is a “sandboxed “ OS also unlikely to be infected. There are products from reliable providers such as Symantec you can use if you’re worried about a virus on your device.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 27, 2017 at 9:35 am
Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:43 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
All ads have been reported. Thank you all for posting them.
Cynicor likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.