Report FT SLOWNESS on this thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Report FT SLOWNESS on this thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 1999, 6:16 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
I've bookmarked: http://www.flyertalk.com/boardsfr.htm both at home and work. Also tried while on the T-1, the old http://talk.webflyer.com ... with no better success.

I'll try PremEx's URL tomorrow in my office.

Old Nov 14, 1999, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (mostly earned on CO)
I'm also not experiencing slow page loads since FT 5.0 was installed. Using Windows NT 4, IE 5 over both a 56K modem and an ADSL connection.

I'm using www.flyertalk.com on the ADSL line, PremEx's URL on my laptop.
Old Nov 15, 1999, 10:27 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Today at work, everything is loading very fast. Doesn't matter what URL I'm using.

2:03pm Pacific time , lousy loading again. Webserver appeared to be running fine, as all other sites I went to loaded quickly.

[This message has been edited by Craig6z (edited 11-15-1999).]
Old Nov 17, 1999, 5:45 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I had really slow loading at the AC lounge with Internet Explorer 5 yesterday. They also had Netscape 4.7 and the pages loaded OK with it. My Explorer 4 works fine here.
Old Nov 17, 1999, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Speed has been great the last 2-3 days. Using Win98, cable modem and Opera browser gave 52 kbytes/sec d/l or 1-2 sec/page. Using IE5 took about twice as long. Some latency but now as fast as most all other sites. Good going WebFlyer staff!!

Maybe they bought a new battery.
Old Nov 20, 1999, 10:18 pm

I hope someone is still on this thread. For me, it is not a matter of slowness. I expect that with my two year old Macintosh Performa and a 56K modem connection and Netscape 3.01. But since returning from a trip November 10-14 I have not been able to establish a connection at all. I am able to connect from my work computers if I do a search rather than use old bookmarks.

I am very distressed to not be able to connect from my personal computer because I suppose I should not use my work computer for WebTalk now that they are asserting any frequent traveler points are theirs (and threatening polygraph exams).

The error messages come back with "broken pipe" or "server is refusing connection".Is there any way to fix this on my end? Did the upgrade result excluding older computers with older browsers?
Old Nov 23, 1999, 1:51 pm
Michael at WebFlyer

All you wonderful people...I apologize for the delay in getting back to you.

I would like you to know that I check this board everyday and that I am aware of your questions.

I'm also not going to offer you any excuses because you deserve much better than that...just as simple apology.

Suffice it to say that we are working on the numerous problems as fast as possible. We hadn't anticipated such a warm and caring audience. The board has sort of taken on a life of it's own and is growing faster than we can keep up with.

We are looking into investing in another BB system. One that is very stable and will cover everyones needs. It will hopefully include real time chat, etc. The biggest problem that we face at this time is legacy data...that is, the posts all you FleyrTalkers have already made. We want every post you have made to carry over to the new system no matter which BB we decide to go with. We are very close to settling on a new system and then it'll just be a matter of integrating the old content.

Thank you very much for your patience and your support.

------------------
ThanX...
Michael at WebFlyer

Old Dec 9, 1999, 3:00 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I don't know if people with standard modems constantly experience such slow loading, but I was very frustrated at AC lounges on new Pentium III computers using a 56K modem and FlyerTalk. It took a long time for each page to load when going from topic to topic. With cable modem it is instant.

Other sites at AC lounge seemed to be OK. Is the UBB software really that slow over the phone lines?
Old Dec 9, 1999, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am currently connecting at the LAS Rio Suites with a PII Sony 300 Meg laptop 56k modem actually connecting at 45.3k. Actual throughput 4.6-7.4 kbytes/sec for FT and most web sites. Quite satisfactory and OK with me.

Wish I could say the same for my blackjack results.
Old Dec 9, 1999, 7:49 pm

Michael at Web Flyer, take a look at WebBoard.
Old Dec 10, 1999, 10:27 am
Michael at WebFlyer

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions, there is some great advice up here.

Our server is definitely part of the problem. When we did the 5.0 upgrade we also did a server switch to our own dedicated server. This is fairly new to us and although we have a wonderful tech person in the form of Mr. A.K. Suska there are a number of issues that we are still trying to nail down. We will defintely keep your suggestions in mind.

------------------
ThanX...
Michael at WebFlyer

Old Feb 2, 2000, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Painfully Slow Today

Both FlyerTalk and WebFlyer have been painfully slow loading this afternoon. Up to 25 seconds for each page to load. What's up?
Old Feb 2, 2000, 4:33 pm
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
I did not notice anything different today than what I am used to, though I am on a 56K modem (PremEx - you said a few days ago that you have a slow internet connection, but 25 sec is painfully slow).

[This message has been edited by PG (edited 02-02-2000).]
Old Feb 2, 2000, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (mostly earned on CO)
It's been slow here, too, but so are other sites. I wonder if there's a bottleneck somewhere that's choking west coast Internet traffic? (Or is that even possible?)
Old Feb 2, 2000, 5:00 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

We're certainly looking into this, though every time we do we find a mixture of people who have slow loads and those that don't (such as the above comment) which would lead us to believe that the problem isn't special to our server, since if it was, all loads would be slow. Anyway, it doesn't matter, we want this to work for everyone and will see what we can do for more "power". Thanks for the note, which we really do appreciate. Cheers.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.