Reload this Page >

Report FT SLOWNESS on this thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Report FT SLOWNESS on this thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2001, 7:06 pm

It's pretty fast here, no problem today.
Old Mar 9, 2001, 11:04 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Very quick right now (1 pm EST), but it was slow earlier.
Old Mar 10, 2001, 9:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Very slow now...frustrating.
Old Mar 11, 2001, 7:51 am

My experience with this site is that generally everything comes up pretty quickly. What slows it down is the selection and then display of the banner ads at the bottom of the pages.

There doesn't seem to be a problem at work where I have a very fast connection, but at home or on the road where I have to rely on a modem, things can get bogged down a bit.

This is a problem that is not isolated to FT. I have noticed it with several other groups that either have a variable banner ad system (different banners every so often in the same space) or ones that need to access banners from another location.
Old Mar 14, 2001, 2:32 pm

Very slow for me right now. Anyone else?

I'm on a cable modem and other sites are coming in fast and furious.
Old Mar 14, 2001, 2:33 pm

Nice and fast ... off University multiple T3 lines.
Old Mar 29, 2001, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA MP Plat MM, *G;Global Entry; Hertz, Budget; Accor Gold, Marriott Gold
Flyertalk EXRELEMY SLOW

Since today, the flyertalk bulleting boards are extremely slow, to the point of unuseablility.

The main page builds up very fast, so does the main banner on top and any static elements. But theList of boards, or the list of topics inside a board takes so long, that usually my proxy times out the connection and I only get about 30-50% of the page drawn.
As an example, the main board list stops somewhere between G and K most of the time.

It seems to me that the UBB engine is too busy doing other things, while your HTTPD server seems to have sufficient resources to serve static content.

Please FIX this as ou makes flyertalk unusable!
Old Mar 30, 2001, 9:03 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (mostly earned on CO)
The slow speed you're experiencing might be a problem in the link between wherever you are and the FlyerTalk server.

Resonse time from SFO was great yesterday and today.
Old Mar 30, 2001, 9:14 am
dan at WebFlyer

matjes, sorry about the lag... yes, we've been wrestling with this for a while, and appreciate our audience sticking with us through the slow times.

We're working on another bulletin board solution that appears to have better optimization techniques which will hopefully alleviate this slowness...

Old Mar 30, 2001, 10:59 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally posted by dan at WebFlyer:
We're working on another bulletin board solution that appears to have better optimization techniques which will hopefully alleviate this slowness...
I hope you'll put some thought into getting rid of unnecessary stuff. This thread's page is currently about 1/3 code for the "Hop To" box. Who cares? 5k of redundant code being loaded for every single thread we look at is just an immense waste of bandwidth.
Old May 10, 2001, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
home.webflyer.com very slow or completely down

Hi webflyer people,

The home.webflyer.com server (I know it's actually hosted by urbanite and not by you folks) has been very slow if not completely down during the last couple of days. Could you guys investigate please? (i.e. complain that something bearing your name works so poorly? )

Thanks,
FewMiles..

------------------
FlyerTalkers' Resources on the Web: http://home.webflyer.com/fewmiles/
Unofficial Guide to AAdvantage: http://home.webflyer.com/fewmiles/AA/
Unofficial oneworld Info Desk: http://home.webflyer.com/fewmiles/oneworld/
Old May 10, 2001, 9:33 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes, it was a bit slow, particularly yesterday, for me!
Old May 10, 2001, 9:50 am
dan at WebFlyer

Actually folks, it looks like those pages will be going away soon.

Urbanite, the company that provides the service, has decided to radically change their business model, in light of the changing internet economy. This change has made it impossible for WebFlyer to keep offering this service, even if we were to start charging for it (and we don't want to do that).

I was actually establishing a list of our homepage members in order to blast out a notice of this today when I came across this post. I'll still send that notice out today or early tomorrow, but consider this an advance warning.

Free services seem to be dropping like flies, and I apologize for this sudden notice, but we were informed late in the game.

We have been informed that our homepages will be turned off May 19th. The fact that their servers seem to be suddenly crawling makes me a little nervous that things are already going on behind the scenes.

I would advise looking for a new free home or at least archiving your pages on your computers in case the performance continues to degrade or outright fail.

Old May 10, 2001, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dan, thanks for the quick reply and the warning. I will start searching for a new "home" for my website ASAP.

FewMiles..

[This message has been edited by FewMiles (edited 05-11-2001).]
Old May 11, 2001, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I managed to move all my website stuff to tripod.

Dan, thanks again for the heads up. On behalf of all the homepage users, please give Urbanite big heck for all this!

FewMiles..

------------------
FlyerTalkers' Resources on the Web: http://fewmiles.tripod.com/
Unofficial Guide to AAdvantage: http://fewmiles.tripod.com/AA/
Unofficial oneworld Info Desk: http://fewmiles.tripod.com/oneworld/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.