Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Problems Accessing FlyerTalk When Using A VPN" thread

Consolidated "Problems Accessing FlyerTalk When Using A VPN" thread

Old Jun 22, 22, 12:22 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond; MeliŠ & HH & Marriott & Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by tangfish View Post
FT is the only site Iím having this problem with [...], so Iím wondering if maybe thereís a configuration that is set to some extreme degree that is blocking nearly every VPN out there.
I'm also only having problems with FT, so wonder if you might be onto something.

Originally Posted by IBJoel View Post
Again, we can accommodate VPN users, but we need you to use a single IP that we can whitelist.
For many (most?) people that won't be realistic, although it will help some and that's appreciated.

To repeat a point made above: There are lots of different reasons for using a VPN, many of them both legitimate and sensible.
Old Jun 23, 22, 8:45 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by IMH View Post
I'm also only having problems with FT, so wonder if you might be onto something.

For many (most?) people that won't be realistic, although it will help some and that's appreciated.

To repeat a point made above: There are lots of different reasons for using a VPN, many of them both legitimate and sensible.
We just can't OK VPNs across the board because it leaves us too vulnerable from a security standpoint. It's especially a concern for higher-ups right now I'd imagine as Kronos was ransom attacked recently and we were doing manual time cards. I've gotten into practically shouting matches with other employees about this when I express access concerns everyone in this thread has, which I share.
Old Jun 23, 22, 9:58 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, AS Gold, HH Dia, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IBJoel View Post
We just can't OK VPNs across the board because it leaves us too vulnerable from a security standpoint. ...
I can semi-appreciate your concern, but why is it that FlyerTalk is the ONLY site of all that I visit with VPN turned on where denial of access happens? Would seem that Cloudflare is seriously overprotective compared to the services that other sites use.
IMH and Edvard like this.
Old Jun 24, 22, 11:25 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by jmd001 View Post
I can semi-appreciate your concern, but why is it that FlyerTalk is the ONLY site of all that I visit with VPN turned on where denial of access happens? Would seem that Cloudflare is seriously overprotective compared to the services that other sites use.
At $dayjob I know from experience that our login security posture systems take a dim view of attempted logins from public VPN IP addresses (which it usually refers to as an "Anonymous IP address"), it flags the user account as high risk, and sends the user into a cycle of 2FA challenges until they resume a pattern of more normal network access. $dayjob colleagues have learnt that keeping their Netflix region hopping away from their corporate network access makes life easier.

From the perspective of IB who host forums that have a history of being DDOS'd and forums spammed, due to the limitations of forum software it would seem to me they have no easy option to invoke a 2nd factor authentication from perceived higher risk logins, so they regrettably end up blocking access.
IBJoel likes this.
Old Jun 25, 22, 7:10 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, AS Gold, HH Dia, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by plunet View Post
... so they regrettably end up blocking access.
Thanks for the perspective and insight.
Old Jun 27, 22, 9:22 am

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
Cloudflare is involved in much of the internet. However, in my experience, only FlyerTalk and Ticketmaster donít like VPNs at such an extreme level.

Ticketmaster does this for many reasons including they want to unmask visitors as much as possible to retarget ads to them.

FlyerTalk doesnít have good (or presumably nefarious enough) reasons to be anywhere near so heavy handed on blocking the majority of VPNs. Plenty of websites including some of the most visited and targeted in the world both use Cloudflare and protect themselves against DDoS attacks just fine, while also allowing generally the use of VPNs.

When it comes to striking a reasonable balance between protecting against malicious bots and DDoS attacks - yet letting your users access the service without too cumbersome an amount of hassle - where thereís a will thereís a way. I hope the powers that be around here find the will to do something about the current state of the imbalance.

I miss being able to visit but the hurdle is now such that itís a rare thing for me to switch to a specific server just to do so, and so my FlyerTalk experience has become just skimming the topic titles via email notifications consumed as digests. But thereís no participation, community or ad revenue in thatÖ.
blairvanhorn and Edvard like this.
Old Jun 27, 22, 11:25 am

I often have to use a VPN when I'm abroad because some websites won't let you access from a foreign IP or they send you to their non-English language website. My credit union and my school's email server won't allow non-US IPs to connect.

But with FT it's the opposite. Every NordVPN server IP seems to be blocked and I can't access anything unless I turn off my VPN.
Old Jun 27, 22, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K
Today I am seeing that many VPN servers of the VPN provider I use (express VPN) have been blocked by FT.
Old Jun 29, 22, 7:34 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond; MeliŠ & HH & Marriott & Radisson Gold
I've just done an internet search that brought up a link to FT. I forgot I was using a VPN and clicked -- and was allowed to log in. That hasn't been possible in recent weeks -- from my point of view the change is definitely an improvement.

(I'm using "personalVPN" today, formerly witopia, and selected the Boston location.)

Search this Thread