Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

No ad / Ads - Premium subscription (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBobi
Wikipost instructions: this wiki post is locked, and may be edited by Administrators and Senior Moderators; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Currently, there is no paid Premium subscription to eliminate advertising from the FlyerTalk viewing experience, and at this moment (18 Nov 2014) there is no plan for a Premium subscription in the works.

Originally Posted by IBobi
Hi everyone,

As of now, we do not have a solution regarding Premium. What this means is that there is currently no plan for a Premium, ads-free product. It doesn't mean there won't ever be one, but the fact that it's not on the radar means it probably won't be happening any time soon.

Regarding ads, please *do not promote ad-blocking software on FlyerTalk*. I don't know that anyone particularly enjoys seeing advertising. But the fact remains that FlyerTalk is *free* to use, and that's because of advertising revenue. In addition, the use of adblockers causes us (me) no end of headaches, because it interferes with site functionality in such a way as to make it very difficult to determine if there is an issue with flyertalk.com, or with a single user's computer. The complaint comes in and must be researched either way.

Thank you all for your help,

Paul
HISTORY: A few years ago, Randy Petersen, owned a number of travel-related products and websites under Frequent Flyer Services (est. 1986), including FlyerTalk, WebFlyer, FlyerGuide (wiki) and Inside Flyer magazine (more recently, MilePoint and Boarding Area).

When the FlyerTalk Premium subscription was instituted, one could subscribe to Inside Flyer magazine and through it, to an advert-free version of FlyerTalk that also included an expanded message box for Private Messaging.

Randy Petersen sold FlyerTalk to Internet Brands March 2007 and Randy Petersen and FlyerTalk went their separate ways in November of 2010.

When Premium subscriptions came up for renewal, for a period of time the Premium subscription could appear to be renewed by paying once again via the Inside Flyer webform. Unfortunately, due to the separation of ownership, this did not extend the Premium FlyerTalk subscription, and previous Premium members were presented with advertising and saw a sudden diminution of their PM message box.

CURRENT STATUS: Admin has been working on a Premium, ad-free membership solution for over two years, but at this moment there is no Premium membership, nor is there any intent for such a product in the near future.

On a case-by-case basis, Administration has extended an ads-free experience with expanded PM message box to those (relatively few) members with a recent Premium subscription due date gratis. If you feel you have cause to request that interim free service because your Premium service expired recently, please post your request here. These should not be expected to be renewed in perpetuity.

Other posts relating to the future of Premium subscriptions and related issues may be posted here as well.

When (and if) the Tech and Admin departments have a Premium subscription solution at hand, it will undoubtedly be advertised or broadcast to all FT members. For now, there's no comprehensive solution.

Thank you for your understanding.

Print Wikipost

No ad / Ads - Premium subscription (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2011, 6:31 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
As the OP (one year ago today), I just followed the instructions yesterday to renew my FT subscription to get Premium Access. Nothing told me that it was out of date. Today I am getting ads, even though I followed the instructions and paid. Please either give me ad free access or refund my $12 (digital edition). Thank you.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:12 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Premium page has been fixed to not allow IF subscriptions, FYI.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Still has details about signing up for IF...

Enjoy a Premium FlyerTalk Experience and Help Support the Community!

Frequent flyers are nothing if not addicted to upgrades. So we would like to offer you an opportunity to upgrade your FlyerTalk experience.

Introducing FlyerTalk Premium -- everything you love about FlyerTalk with none of the advertisements. When you log in as a FlyerTalk Premium member you will have access to all of the same features and benefits you receive now, and when you are browsing the forums your screen will remain uncluttered for your viewing pleasure.

Getting your FlyerTalk Premium upgrade is easy - all you have to do is subscribe to the online edition of InsideFlyer magazine (a subscription only costs $12/year)!
As you may know, FlyerTalk was launched in 1998 as an online forum for readers of InsideFlyer. As the FlyerTalk community grew, it earned it's own Web address, but over the years InsideFlyer magazine has continued to serve as the one and only sponsor, picking up the tab for this valuable resource. By subscribing to InsideFlyer.com, you are not only gaining access to a premium FlyerTalk experience, you are supporting the organization that started it all.

And on top of all that, you will also gain access to the most useful frequent flyer publication available. With an InsideFlyer.com subscription, you will enjoy features that can be found nowhere else, such as:

Bonus Bulletin - A searchable collection of frequent travel bonuses featuring thousands of bonuses offered by programs worldwide.
Programs & Partners - Need to know who partners with whom? You'll find it here.
Special Awards - A listing of discounted awards.
Best Bets - The editor's monthly list of the top 10 most valuable frequent flyer offers.

InsideFlyer has been relied upon by frequent flyers since 1986 for the best advice when it comes to earning and burning miles. The editors of InsideFlyer have helped readers successfully manage their miles and points through all of the changes the industry has experienced in the past two decades.

Complete the steps below to start enjoying FlyerTalk Premium access today!

Step #1 - Subscribe to InsideFlyer magazine (Already a subscriber? Click here.)

Clicking on the link above will open a subscription page on the InsideFlyer.com Web site. Once you have completed the subscription process, close that window and come back to this page to complete your FlyerTalk Premium registration.

Step #2 - Register for FlyerTalk Premium Access You are logged in as FriendlySkies, to verify premium access for FriendlySkies provide your InsideFlyer.com username and password below:
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:24 pm

Yup looks like I jumped the gun a bit... hold tight!
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:26 pm

Done now -- thanks IBDick
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA Bronze (Ye Gods no), AA Gold (never used)
Maybe you should follow studentroom premium.. Coloured username, avatar, and a special forum
Old Sep 28, 2011, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Mikel at Webflyer
Your FlyerTalk Premium subscription ended today.

If you still subscribe to InsideFlyer you can renew your FlyerTalk Premium service here.
Now I'm completely confused. Ads started showing up for me today (or I noticed them today) and this link just now goes to a "coming soon" page. Am I doomed to a life of seeing ads on FT? Is there no way to block them any more?
Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:00 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by milepig
Ads started showing up for me today (or I noticed them today) and this link just now goes to a "coming soon" page. Am I doomed to a life of seeing ads on FT? Is there no way to block them any more?
What IB said on 8/22/2011:
-- there is no connection between the magazine subscription and FT Premium. We will change that link.

We are in the process of putting together an even better Premium package that will include Ad-Free browsing. Stay tuned!
Or you can just try the ....... Plus add-on, if using FireFox.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by lin821
Or you can just try the ....... Plus add-on, if using FireFox.
+100

Very useful software.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 2:51 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by soitgoes
No my PM box is totally full because I lost my increased quota.

Is there a solution?
I've also found that my PM box is (more than) 100% full since my Premium membership expired. I've searched this forum but couldn't find an answer to the above question.

Will I suddenly lose saved mail in my PM box?
Old Oct 3, 2011, 6:25 pm

I'll try to get an answer on what happens to the "excess" PMs once your box size increases again.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 1:43 am

Own goal?

Methinks FT has scored a bit of an own goal by getting rid of premium membership before the new scheme was in place.

If, a week ago, I had received an email inviting me to renew my premium subscription I would have done so without giving matters a second thought.

Instead I got an email telling me I will have to put up with ads until the new scheme is in place. I'm now running ....... Plus which achieves exactly the same as the former premium subscription, at no cost.

So - what incentive do I now have to renew my premium subscription, which a week ago I would have been happy to renew?
Old Oct 4, 2011, 11:03 am

In addition to ad-free access to the site, the previous Premium service also included, for instance, a much larger PM box.

New Premium services will have this as well as other features, and although we'd have preferred to roll it out prior to your subscription lapsing, we think it will be worth the wait

Paul
Old Oct 4, 2011, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
In addition to ad-free access to the site, the previous Premium service also included, for instance, a much larger PM box.

New Premium services will have this as well as other features, and although we'd have preferred to roll it out prior to your subscription lapsing, we think it will be worth the wait

Paul
Any word on when that will happen?
Old Oct 4, 2011, 12:07 pm

We are meeting today to discuss

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.