Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

No ad / Ads - Premium subscription (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBobi
Wikipost instructions: this wiki post is locked, and may be edited by Administrators and Senior Moderators; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Currently, there is no paid Premium subscription to eliminate advertising from the FlyerTalk viewing experience, and at this moment (18 Nov 2014) there is no plan for a Premium subscription in the works.

Originally Posted by IBobi
Hi everyone,

As of now, we do not have a solution regarding Premium. What this means is that there is currently no plan for a Premium, ads-free product. It doesn't mean there won't ever be one, but the fact that it's not on the radar means it probably won't be happening any time soon.

Regarding ads, please *do not promote ad-blocking software on FlyerTalk*. I don't know that anyone particularly enjoys seeing advertising. But the fact remains that FlyerTalk is *free* to use, and that's because of advertising revenue. In addition, the use of adblockers causes us (me) no end of headaches, because it interferes with site functionality in such a way as to make it very difficult to determine if there is an issue with flyertalk.com, or with a single user's computer. The complaint comes in and must be researched either way.

Thank you all for your help,

Paul
HISTORY: A few years ago, Randy Petersen, owned a number of travel-related products and websites under Frequent Flyer Services (est. 1986), including FlyerTalk, WebFlyer, FlyerGuide (wiki) and Inside Flyer magazine (more recently, MilePoint and Boarding Area).

When the FlyerTalk Premium subscription was instituted, one could subscribe to Inside Flyer magazine and through it, to an advert-free version of FlyerTalk that also included an expanded message box for Private Messaging.

Randy Petersen sold FlyerTalk to Internet Brands March 2007 and Randy Petersen and FlyerTalk went their separate ways in November of 2010.

When Premium subscriptions came up for renewal, for a period of time the Premium subscription could appear to be renewed by paying once again via the Inside Flyer webform. Unfortunately, due to the separation of ownership, this did not extend the Premium FlyerTalk subscription, and previous Premium members were presented with advertising and saw a sudden diminution of their PM message box.

CURRENT STATUS: Admin has been working on a Premium, ad-free membership solution for over two years, but at this moment there is no Premium membership, nor is there any intent for such a product in the near future.

On a case-by-case basis, Administration has extended an ads-free experience with expanded PM message box to those (relatively few) members with a recent Premium subscription due date gratis. If you feel you have cause to request that interim free service because your Premium service expired recently, please post your request here. These should not be expected to be renewed in perpetuity.

Other posts relating to the future of Premium subscriptions and related issues may be posted here as well.

When (and if) the Tech and Admin departments have a Premium subscription solution at hand, it will undoubtedly be advertised or broadcast to all FT members. For now, there's no comprehensive solution.

Thank you for your understanding.

Print Wikipost

No ad / Ads - Premium subscription (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2011, 6:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Is there an update on this?
Old Oct 24, 2011, 6:31 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by lin821

Or you can just try the ....... Plus add-on, if using FireFox.
....... does not help at all if you go to an internet cafe and use their computers -- which I often do when traveling.

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I've also found that my PM box is (more than) 100% full since my Premium membership expired. I've searched this forum but couldn't find an answer to the above question.

Will I suddenly lose saved mail in my PM box?
I dumped my saved messages when my membership expired -- and was not thrilled about it.

Quite honestly, the only reason I subscribed to Inside Flyer (which I almost never read) was to get the premium service. It would have made a lot more sense for IB to offer me the possibility of paying $12 and getting the premium service without Inside Flyer. If any extras were added later, they could just have put them on the subscription I would have bought now.

Taking it away, without giving us any opportunity to renew it immediately, was an extremely bad decision.

Last edited by IBobi; Oct 24, 2011 at 10:56 am
Old Oct 24, 2011, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Dovster
....... does not help at all if you go to an internet cafe and use their computers -- which I often do when traveling.

I dumped my saved messages when my membership expired -- and was not thrilled about it.

Quite honestly, the only reason I subscribed to Inside Flyer (which I almost never read) was to get the premium service. It would have made a lot more sense for IB to offer me the possibility of paying $12 and getting the premium service without Inside Flyer. If any extras were added later, they could just have put them on the subscription I would have bought now.
Same here. I can't say that I ever took more than 5 minutes to read Inside Flyer.

I'd happily just pay $12/year for ad-free service without any "extras."
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:04 am
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
We apologize. It was not so much a decision not to have a new ads-free experience as an underestimation of how much time it would take to replace the basic Premium membership.

Rest assured we are working on a permanent solution; it does involve building a mechanism for actually selling such a membership on the site, which previously did not exist and still does not -- you can't currently purchase anything on FT -- as the old premium membership was solely through InsideFlyer and its parent company, not FlyerTalk itself.

As we move forward on this there will likely be different benefits and a new pricing structure, building a Premium service that makes sense not for InsideFlyer and its readers but for FlyerTalk itself.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 1:12 pm

We apologize. It was not so much a decision not to have a new ads-free experience as an underestimation of how much time it would take to replace the basic Premium membership.

Rest assured we are working on a permanent solution; it does involve building a mechanism for actually selling such a membership on the site, which previously did not exist and still does not -- you can't currently purchase anything on FT -- as the old premium membership was solely through InsideFlyer and its parent company, not FlyerTalk itself.

As we move forward on this there will likely be different benefits and a new pricing structure, building a Premium service that makes sense not for InsideFlyer and its readers but for FlyerTalk itself.
Is there any way now that those who have a premium membership currently could see benefits like the additional PM space and lack of ads continue beyond their current expiration, since most would probably be willing to pay something for this benefit?

I think many probably don't realize that they can no longer have those benefits by renewing their Inside Flyer subscription and don't realize that they will disappear when their subscription to Inside Flyer is up for renewal.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 1:57 pm

That's what the actual issue is; there is not yet a way to sell those benefits to any user. But we're working on it. At the moment, they just expire.

We have changed the messaging so that people don't renew their IF subscription thinking they will get FT membership benefits.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 2:24 pm

That's what the actual issue is; there is not yet a way to sell those benefits to any user. But we're working on it.
How about if IB spends five minutes opening a PayPal account and then gives a year's worth of the premium service to anyone who sends in $12?
Old Oct 25, 2011, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Dovster
How about if IB spends five minutes opening a PayPal account and then gives a year's worth of the premium service to anyone who sends in $12?
That sounds easy enough. Better yet, I'll volunteer my PayPal account for their use, for a small fee.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:48 pm

Gee thanks for the offer, Kipper ;P
Old Oct 25, 2011, 1:08 pm

Gee thanks for the offer, Kipper ;P
Always happy to help.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Here's the problem that I have today:

Inbox contains 1,193 messages.
You have 2,124 messages stored, of a total 500 allowed.

I have ....... Plus running on my laptop. I subscribed for the InsideFlyer only to get the ad free version of FT when using other computers and a larger PM box.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:35 am

Understood. There are a number of members in that position unfortunately. Your PM box should expand and retain your old PMs when youn sign up for the new Premium service, provided you don't delete them to make space in the smaller box.

I don't have a date yet for when the new Premium will be up though
Old Dec 22, 2011, 9:43 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
That's what the actual issue is; there is not yet a way to sell those benefits to any user. But we're working on it. At the moment, they just expire.
How about you just extend the benefits for free to everyone that had a subscription that's expired this year? Then, when you finally get the new system in place, you can cut off the free access again and push us towards the premium service.

I don't have a date yet for when the new Premium will be up though
You guys have been talking about how awesome this is going to be for 7 months now. Do you have any updates that you can share with us, including a rough timeline for when it will be online? I'm amazed that you have many people that want to give you money, yet you can't even figure out a way to accept it.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
my inside flyer/flyertalk premium subscription ended yesterday, and my mailbox is 100% full because of it. i have ad-block (thank you, safari) so while the ft page layout looks somewhat different, i'm not subjected to annoying ads, but i would like not to have to delete my pm's going back to 2005. that led me to seek out this thread.

so, um, while reading this thread where questions about the end of premium service started (ahem) last year, i'm wondering why you guys can't seem to find a way to take money from people who obviously would like to give it to you. just askin'.

to my fellow flyertalkers in the same position, have you deleted hundreds of pm's or decided not to accept new ones?
Old Jan 1, 2012, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by karenkay
to my fellow flyertalkers in the same position, have you deleted hundreds of pm's or decided not to accept new ones?
I deleted them. There is no "search" ability for PMs so they really weren't doing me much good anyhow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.