Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

No ad / Ads - Premium subscription (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBobi
Wikipost instructions: this wiki post is locked, and may be edited by Administrators and Senior Moderators; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Currently, there is no paid Premium subscription to eliminate advertising from the FlyerTalk viewing experience, and at this moment (18 Nov 2014) there is no plan for a Premium subscription in the works.

Originally Posted by IBobi
Hi everyone,

As of now, we do not have a solution regarding Premium. What this means is that there is currently no plan for a Premium, ads-free product. It doesn't mean there won't ever be one, but the fact that it's not on the radar means it probably won't be happening any time soon.

Regarding ads, please *do not promote ad-blocking software on FlyerTalk*. I don't know that anyone particularly enjoys seeing advertising. But the fact remains that FlyerTalk is *free* to use, and that's because of advertising revenue. In addition, the use of adblockers causes us (me) no end of headaches, because it interferes with site functionality in such a way as to make it very difficult to determine if there is an issue with flyertalk.com, or with a single user's computer. The complaint comes in and must be researched either way.

Thank you all for your help,

Paul
HISTORY: A few years ago, Randy Petersen, owned a number of travel-related products and websites under Frequent Flyer Services (est. 1986), including FlyerTalk, WebFlyer, FlyerGuide (wiki) and Inside Flyer magazine (more recently, MilePoint and Boarding Area).

When the FlyerTalk Premium subscription was instituted, one could subscribe to Inside Flyer magazine and through it, to an advert-free version of FlyerTalk that also included an expanded message box for Private Messaging.

Randy Petersen sold FlyerTalk to Internet Brands March 2007 and Randy Petersen and FlyerTalk went their separate ways in November of 2010.

When Premium subscriptions came up for renewal, for a period of time the Premium subscription could appear to be renewed by paying once again via the Inside Flyer webform. Unfortunately, due to the separation of ownership, this did not extend the Premium FlyerTalk subscription, and previous Premium members were presented with advertising and saw a sudden diminution of their PM message box.

CURRENT STATUS: Admin has been working on a Premium, ad-free membership solution for over two years, but at this moment there is no Premium membership, nor is there any intent for such a product in the near future.

On a case-by-case basis, Administration has extended an ads-free experience with expanded PM message box to those (relatively few) members with a recent Premium subscription due date gratis. If you feel you have cause to request that interim free service because your Premium service expired recently, please post your request here. These should not be expected to be renewed in perpetuity.

Other posts relating to the future of Premium subscriptions and related issues may be posted here as well.

When (and if) the Tech and Admin departments have a Premium subscription solution at hand, it will undoubtedly be advertised or broadcast to all FT members. For now, there's no comprehensive solution.

Thank you for your understanding.

Print Wikipost

No ad / Ads - Premium subscription (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2013, 6:37 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
My premium subscription just ended today. Could somebody please re-enable the ....... and PM box increase? Thanks.
Done.
Old May 1, 2013, 12:52 am

My premium subscription just ended yesterday. Could you also please re-enable the ....... and PM box increase for me too? Thanks.

On a positive note for you iBobi, I believe I should be one of the last folks requesting this as I believe the Premium Subscriptions were only offered through the end of April 2011 and 2-yr Inside Flyer subscriptions were the longest subscriptions people could purchase at that time IIRC.
Old May 1, 2013, 5:42 am

Mine, too, please.

So far as I know, my Inside Flyer subscription is still good (at least, I'm still getting the magazine -- I think my subscription ends in April next year).

Thanks.
Old May 1, 2013, 10:50 am
Retired admin. Please direct issues to IBobi.

gregorygrady and Counsellor: You're both set with ad-free browsing
Old May 1, 2013, 11:10 am

Thanks, IBcash!
Old May 1, 2013, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Counsellor
Mine, too, please.

So far as I know, my Inside Flyer subscription is still good (at least, I'm still getting the magazine -- I think my subscription ends in April next year).

Thanks.
Incidentally, your IF subscription was from 2010 to 4/30/2013, so it ran out as of yesterday, at least according to subscription info through FlyerTalk. If you have a non-FT subscription, just contact IF directly

P.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 2:39 pm

Programs: AC*SE
I just received a warning e-mail that mine will be expiring shortly as well, could you adjust it before I even have to see those ads? or not until the premium membership expires?
Old Jul 5, 2013, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by CdnFlier
I just received a warning e-mail that mine will be expiring shortly as well, could you adjust it before I even have to see those ads? or not until the premium membership expires?
You're all set.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 12:20 am

Programs: AC*SE
You're all set.
Umm I'm now seeing ads for the first time in years... I think something didn't work!
Old Jul 8, 2013, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by CdnFlier
Umm I'm now seeing ads for the first time in years... I think something didn't work!
Try now.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
My premium subscription also just expired. Please enable the ad free for me. Happy to pay a subscription when you guys get the details worked out

Thanks
Old Jul 22, 2013, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by sierranevada
My premium subscription also just expired. Please enable the ad free for me. Happy to pay a subscription when you guys get the details worked out

Thanks
Taken care of!
Old Jul 22, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Thanks!
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
I can't believe this thread is still active.

I don't have a date yet for when the new Premium will be up though
The problem that many internet sites have is they can never figure out how to make money.

You guys have people willing to pay for your service. Yet you still can't figure out how to do something as basic as accept payments in a single region (I understand you're available worldwide, but accepting payments has to start somewhere). This blows my mind. Surely other users of vBulletin software have figured out how to do this?
Old Jul 25, 2013, 2:29 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
...Yet you still can't figure out how to do something as basic as accept payments in a single region (I understand you're available worldwide, but accepting payments has to start somewhere). This blows my mind. Surely other users of vBulletin software have figured out how to do this?
A solution was offered almost two years ago:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17328445-post37.html

And while it might take a few more than "five minutes," it took my company less than a week to begin being able to receive Paypal.

This is indeed utterly mystifying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.