Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Facebook Connect FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2010, 8:20 pm

Programs: /usr/bin
Link your Facebook account to your forum account! Click the logo to link your account!
No thank you.

How do I make it go away now?
Old Apr 6, 2010, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn
Yes, a big thank you to LRD!
Yes, thank you so much LRD for this. ^
Old Apr 6, 2010, 9:01 pm

Programs: QFF
Link your Facebook account to your forum account! Click the logo to link your account!
No. I don't have a facebook account and don't want one. Now please get rid of that annoying link.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 9:19 pm

Programs: Amanjunkie
what a useless idea

rather than fixing bugs that have plagued the FT forum (e.g. mobile page not displaying the airline programs), somebody came up with this brilliant idea? really ??

extremely poor judgment IMHO
Old Apr 7, 2010, 1:18 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Why is my history file being loaded with mystery webpages that I've never seen? Is the TSA spying on us?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 1:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan ,Starwood,Priority Club,Amex Platinum,Airmiles,CIBC Gold
Originally Posted by joelfreak
I don't understand why Flyertalk/IBB would WANT to use Facebook connect. Facebook eventually just wants all BB systems to go away, and for everyone to use FB. Why would you make it EASIER for them?
That is an excellent question!!!!
Any answers from the people who now run this board?
They all seem to be hiding!
This is an invasion of privacy and I will not be privy to it.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 1:56 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by LRD
If you don't want to see this new "enhancement" and you're using FF...get the ....... Plus Element Hiding Helper add-on and add this line to your Preference file:
Would anyone know what the custom filter entry in Safari ....... is, to get rid of Facebook?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:14 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by IB-Dick
There is a difference between security and privacy
True.

However, I don't feel "secured" and can't be safe in a virtual environment/world created by a founder who doesn't respect privacy. Maybe it's just me. Without privacy, how can anyone feel secured?

and we don't believe either are violated with out implementation of Facebook Connect.
And nobody on FT has made such public accusation toward IB. Not yet.

Unfortunately, you've mis-read the beefs and mis-judged FT crowd with your above statement.

However, if you do have security or privacy concerns, I encourage you to not use Facebook Connect on this site.
That is probably the best official reply from IB I've ever seen by far.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
What a completely useless move on the part of IB. What possible benefit could there be to them in making it easier for us to click away from FT and over to FB? Do they really think this will bring people the other way?

Maybe it will bring us a load of one post wonders, FB'ers who post one long rant and never return. I don't see it enhancing the ranks of FT, but I do see it draining eyeballs away from here.

I wonder if FB is throwing money at IB go get them to do this.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 7:37 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by LRD
Please add the friendconnect rule I noted in #23.
Thanks, LRD! I have no interest in linking to my FB account, and the navigation problems (two clicks to go back and then no ability to go forward) were very annoying problems. Unfortunately, ....... only solves this problem for my FF browsers.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by the_happiness_store

You really are making people search for the means to circumvent you enhancements. It is good to make people motivated.
I'm motivated to check back in a couple of days. A few days off from Flyertalk will do me (us) good.

Can someone PM me when the coast is clear.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:39 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
I wish I could add some constructive feedback and add something positive but actually I have to admit that I see no value in FB connect. The contrary holds true: It is annoying to have such a grey banner on the website.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Thanks for launching without IE support. convinces me NOT to do it. Now please remove the obnoxious header from my FT experience, Thanks.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by totti
I wish I could add some constructive feedback and add something positive but actually I have to admit that I see no value in FB connect. The contrary holds true: It is annoying to have such a grey banner on the website.
+1
Old Apr 8, 2010, 8:58 am
LRD

Programs: AA Plat/6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
For those of you that have been using my ....... Plus and ....... Plus Element Hiding Helper filters, I would like to offer some refinements.

Originally, I suggested that one could block the Facebook table with:
flyertalk.com##table[cellpadding="3"][cellspacing="0"][border="0"][width="100%"]
but that broke the Airport Code Lookup. So, I suggested:
flyertalk.com##div.tborder
which, unfortunately, broke the User Profile module.

So, I suggest that one turn-off filtering while using these two modules. Here's how to do that:

If you're using the first filter noted above, please add this exclusion filter to make the Airport Code Lookup module work:
@@http://www.flyertalk.com/acl/
If you're using the second filter above, please add this exclusion filter to make the User Profile module work:
@@http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/members/
(Many thanks to lin821 for providing feedback on my filtering project.)

The above changes should solve the cosmetic issue of the Facebook Link table showing on your screen. Now, if you would like to eliminate the background calls that FT makes to FB, (and, potentially make FT faster, more reliable, and more secure) you'll need to replace my previous suggestion:
friendconnect$domain=flyertalk.com
with
connect.facebook.com$script,domain=flyertalk.com
vbnexus$script,domain=flyertalk.com
This change is necessary because the FT kids changed their FB-link coding yesterday.

And, completely unrelated to Facebook, you might find the following filters will make your FT browsing "better" by eliminating unnecessary (IMHO) calls to partners:
flyertalk.com.js$script
doubleclick$domain=flyertalk.com
Of course, filters like these may have a financial impact on our FT hosts; I'll leave that discussion to OMNI participants.

But, back to aesthetics... if you would like to eliminate the FT banner, and free-up over an inch of screen space, please add these filters:
body-bg.gif$domain=flyertalk.com
flyertalk.com##div#header
flyertalk.com##div#footer

Last edited by LRD; Apr 18, 2010 at 10:47 am Reason: added filter for vbnexus script

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.