FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Support and Feedback (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback-386/)
-   -   Facebook Connect FAQ (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback/1071338-facebook-connect-faq.html)

IB-Dick Apr 6, 2010 10:40 am

Facebook Connect FAQ

Posted below you will find a link to an FAQ that should answer all of your main questions and concerns.

We hope that you will enjoy this new feature and welcome your feedback!

FAQ

Why are we doing this?
Our aim is to make it easier for new visitors to join our community and to make it easier for FlyerTalk members to share their FlyerTalk experiences with their Facebook friends.

How do I sign up?
If you don't have a Flyertalk account, or if you do have a Flyertalk account and aren't already logged in , click on the Facebook Connect button at the top of the page. This will send you to a Facebook page where you will be asked to log in to Facebook (if you aren't already) and ask you to confirm the connection. After you have confirmed, you will be brought to a page that will ask you to create a Flyertalk username. If you already have a Flyertalk account, enter your username and password on this page to link your accounts.

For users who have a Flyertalk account and are already logged in, click on the Facebook Connect button. This will bring you to the same page mentioned above that asks you to log in to Facebook (if you aren't already), and ask you to confirm the connection. After this is done, you will be brought to a screen where you will be asked to verify your Flyertalk password. (We do this to make sure you're really you!)

After your accounts are linked, you will be able to manage your Facebook Connect settings from MyFlyerTalk. The link to do so will be on the bottom of the left nav. In there, there are 3 settings. Here is a brief rundown as to what these do:

New Thread Feed - If this is set to 'yes', every time you create a new thread you will be asked if you want to post a link to the newly created thread from your Facebook Wall.
New Post Feed - If this is set to 'yes', every time you create a new post you will be asked if you want to post a link to the newly created post from your Facebook wall.
New Album Feed - If you is set to 'yes', every time you create a new album you will be asked if you want to post a link to the newly created album from your Facebook wall.

* Note to FireFox users: Due to a recent change in the Facebook API code, the above features don't currently work in Firefox and IE. It is not believed that this was done on purpose, and we expect that the Facebook team will be fixing this shortly. We decided to leave these features in the product because they still work in other browsers, specifically Chrome and Safari, and we believe they will once again work on FF soon.

Do my Flyertalk username and Facebook username have to be the same?
No, they can be completely different.

What about my passwords? Can they remain different?
There is no link between your FlyerTalk password and your Facebook password. If you link your FlyerTalk account to your Facebook account, you will be able to log in to FlyerTalk by signing in to Facebook, but no password information is shared between the two sites.

If I change my password on one site, does it affect the other?
Nope. Both passwords exist independently of one another.

Can you see my passwords?
Never. Both Facebook and FlyerTalk store only hashes of passwords, and never the passwords themselves. We also never share those hashes.

How much of my FlyerTalk posts and account information will be shared with Facebook?
By default, none. If you choose to, you can have FlyerTalk post updates to your Facebook profile when you create a new thread or reply to an existing thread. Other than that, we send none of your account information (email address, password, profile data, etc.) to Facebook.

How much of my Facebook account information and posts will be shared on FT?
None. Nothing that you do on Facebook will be posted to Flyertalk, and Facebook doesn't send us any of your personal information.

Can Facebook users who do not have a FlyerTalk account post on the forums?
Only if they register with FlyerTalk, either by creating a regular FlyerTalk account or through Facebook Connect.

Can Facebook users who do not have a FlyerTalk account view posts and threads in private forums?
Absolutely not. If a FlyerTalk user posts a link to a private forum on their Facebook account, anyone following that link will be denied access unless they have a FlyerTalk account with the appropriate permissions.

Can Facebook Connect users be banned if they break the forum rules?
Facebook Connect users are subject to the same rules as regular users and are subject to the same penalties.

Can I unlink my Flyertalk and Facebook accounts?
Yes, you can. However, if you created your Flyertalk account through Facebook Connect, then you will have to update your email address first. Since Facebook doesn't send us any of your personal information, the only email address we'll have on file will be a Facebook proxy address, and after you unlink your account that won't work. Since you won't be able to log in through Facebook anymore once your account is unlinked, you'll also need to provide us with a password. As of right now, all users will be required to change their password when they unlink they're accounts, even if they didn't create their account through Facebook Connect. This is simply because we don't have the ability to tell if the password hash in the database is the hash of a real password, or a random dummy password that was generated for a Facebook user. The link to unlink your accounts is in MyFlyerTalk.

What are the security concerns for FlyerTalkers by integrating with such a large site?
Since Flyertalk and Facebook won't be sharing any information, there should be no security concerns. Facebook is a large company with an excellent reputation for security, which is why we are comfortable using it as our third party authenticator.

Who do I contact if I am experiencing problems with Facebook Connect?
Problems with Facebook connect can be addressed in the Technical Issues forum.

Can we completely opt-out of this Facebook Integration?
Yes. You can disable Facebook connect in the site Options.

mahasamatman Apr 6, 2010 10:50 am

How about putting this at the bottom of the page istead of the top so it doesn't waste "useful" space? As it is, with everything on the top of the page (huge banner, ads, etc), posts don't even appear without scrolling down, and if you start adding all the social networks, posts will be even further shufled down.

KENNECTED Apr 6, 2010 10:53 am

Can this be connected to a FAN page instead of a personal page?

jimbo99 Apr 6, 2010 10:56 am

Surely the most "FAQ" right now is how to get rid of this nag line.

Shuttle-Bored Apr 6, 2010 10:56 am

Originally Posted by jimbo99 (Post 13719806)
Surely the most "FAQ" right now is how to get rid of this nag line.

Seconded.

LIH Prem Apr 6, 2010 11:08 am

Yes, I'm reading this to find out how to get rid of this thing that's wasting space in my browser. Can't you put it somewhere else so it's not on every flyertalk page?

-David

LRD Apr 6, 2010 11:08 am

If you don't want to see this new "enhancement" and you're using FF...

get the ....... Plus Element Hiding Helper add-on and add this line to your Preference file:

flyertalk.com##table[cellpadding="3"][cellspacing="0"][border="0"][width="100%"]

joelfreak Apr 6, 2010 11:16 am

We need a way to say "I have seen this nag line". I don't WANT everyone from Flyertalk to see my FB page, nor do I need my FB friends to read my FT posts...I don't want or need my entire life to be connected by 1 click. Facebook already has some massive security problems, and we don't need those being spread. Please allow us to shut this function off for our FT accounts.

lin821 Apr 6, 2010 11:20 am

Originally Posted by IB-Dick (Post 13719666)
What are the security concerns for FlyerTalkers by integrating with such a large site?
Since Flyertalk and Facebook won't be sharing any information, there should be no security concerns. Facebook is a large company with an excellent reputation for security, which is why we are comfortable using it as our third party authenticator.

(emphasis mine)

Riiiight! FTers should feel as comfortable with your chosen third party "authenticator" (whatever it means) when its founder claims "Privacy no longer a social norm" in January 2010.

ETA
:
Another fun read: Lyons: How Google & Facebook Violate Your Privacy - Newsweek.com

jimbo99 Apr 6, 2010 11:21 am

Originally Posted by joelfreak (Post 13719984)
Facebook already has some massive security problems, and we don't need those being spread. Please allow us to shut this function off for our FT accounts.

Don't worry.... the FAQ covers this:

Originally Posted by IB-Dick (Post 13719666)
...Facebook is a large company with an excellent reputation for security, which is why we are comfortable using it as our third party authenticator.

Gargoyle Apr 6, 2010 11:21 am

Originally Posted by joelfreak (Post 13719984)
We need a way to say "I have seen this nag line". I don't WANT everyone from Flyertalk to see my FB page, nor do I need my FB friends to read my FT posts...I don't want or need my entire life to be connected by 1 click. Facebook already has some massive security problems, and we don't need those being spread. Please allow us to shut this function off for our FT accounts.

+10

jimbo99 Apr 6, 2010 11:26 am

Originally Posted by LRD (Post 13719921)
If you don't want to see this new "enhancement" and you're using FF...

get the ....... Plus Element Hiding Helper add-on and add this line to your Preference file:

THANKS! This gets rid of the whole thing.

LRD Apr 6, 2010 11:32 am

Originally Posted by jimbo99 (Post 13720067)
THANKS! This gets rid of the whole thing.

If you liked that tip, try hiding these elements:

flyertalk.com##div#header
flyertalk.com##div#footer
And, add this to your regular ....... blocking rules:

body-bg.gif$domain=flyertalk.com
Together, these will get rid of the huge banner section, and add about another inch available to display real content.

jimbo99 Apr 6, 2010 11:39 am

Originally Posted by LRD (Post 13720122)
If you liked that tip, try hiding these elements:

And, add this you the regular ....... blocking rules:

Together, these will get rid of the huge banner section, and add about another inch available to display real content.

Yep.. great. I'm now ahead as a result of this facebook enhancement!

belynch Apr 6, 2010 12:04 pm

I've been looking for a new definition of idiotic. Thanks FT/IBB.

:rolleyes: