Facebook Connect FAQ

Old Apr 6, 2010, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by jan_az
For those of us using IE and not FF can you please please move this to the bottom of the page -

I dont want Facebook connect and dont want to be bugged about it every page of FT
Install IE7 Pro and turn on ad blocker.

http://www.ie7pro.com/
Old Apr 6, 2010, 3:18 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Does this new banner have anything to do with why clicks on FT threads/pages are now making calls to Google.com ? Obviously I can't redirect that to my localhosts file as with the other junk calls.

And thanks to the poster for the ....... filter. No more Facebook junk.

Last edited by cblaisd; Apr 6, 2010 at 3:27 pm
Old Apr 6, 2010, 3:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Well IB, so far no one posting on this thread is happy w/ your decision. There's also another group not happy either.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni/...m-account.html

Cheers.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 3:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan ,Starwood,Priority Club,Amex Platinum,Airmiles,CIBC Gold
I'm on an IMac and use Safari. As of today, when I click on FT and then click on a thread, I cannot use my back button to return to the main forum. Is anyone else having that problem? I get frozen in that thread and have to sign out. Any suggestions?
Don't like the Facebook idea either and will not use it.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 3:43 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by IB-Dick
With this implementation of Facebook Connect, we do not display a link to your Facebook account anywhere on this site.
Than you should have no problem with me asking you to remove it from EVERY PAGE I LOAD FROM FLYERTALK, since you don't gain anything from me telling you who I am on Facebook...
Old Apr 6, 2010, 3:46 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I don't understand why Flyertalk/IBB would WANT to use Facebook connect. Facebook eventually just wants all BB systems to go away, and for everyone to use FB. Why would you make it EASIER for them?
Old Apr 6, 2010, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by SamCat
I'm on an IMac and use Safari. As of today, when I click on FT and then click on a thread, I cannot use my back button to return to the main forum. Is anyone else having that problem? I get frozen in that thread and have to sign out. Any suggestions?
Don't like the Facebook idea either and will not use it.
Same here in Firefox on Win7. You have to click back TWICE, which is more than annoying! The fix suggested above using Ad Block Plus doesn't help.

GET RID OF THE ANNOYING FACEBOOK HEADER!!!
Old Apr 6, 2010, 4:42 pm

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
Originally Posted by joelfreak
We need a way to say "I have seen this nag line". I don't WANT everyone from Flyertalk to see my FB page, nor do I need my FB friends to read my FT posts...I don't want or need my entire life to be connected by 1 click. Facebook already has some massive security problems, and we don't need those being spread. Please allow us to shut this function off for our FT accounts.
I am another one who isn't convinced on how useful this new enhancement is going to be; I would have rather kept my FT and FB identity separate.

A lot of people who are on Flyertalk don't do Facebook.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
This is pure brilliance IB. ^

You really are making people search for the means to circumvent you enhancements. It is good to make people motivated. I got rid of FB now to figure how to take only one step back for each step forward.

Last edited by the_happiness_store; Apr 6, 2010 at 4:54 pm
Old Apr 6, 2010, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Bundy Bear
I am another one who isn't convinced on how useful this new enhancement is going to be; I would have rather kept my FT and FB identity separate.

A lot of people who are on Flyertalk don't do Facebook.
While I am not opposed to the addition of this function in and of itself (unlike most of the other posters here, apparently), I do have to echo this point: I don't think it will find much use here.

The vast majority of FlyerTalkers seem to prefer to remain anonymous and not maintain any links between their FT identity and real world identity, unlike many other forums out there, where members' real names and locations are openly shared. While some of my coworkers know I participate here, they don't know my handle and so can't specifically pin me down to anything I might say here. And I think I've done a pretty good job of obfuscating links to my real name on FlyerTalk, at least in public view. I think most people are in a similar situation, and so a link between an anonymous username and your Real World identity (mandatory on Facebook) is really not something I'm interested in, despite using both heavily. I suspect most others are in the same boat.

But for those who would enjoy this functionality, I don't have any problems with having it here. And you can even leave the banner up for a day or two, but do pull it down once members have had a chance to see it--maybe leave a little "Connect" logo in the same area as the login details, but the full banner could get a bit obnoxious.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 5:27 pm
LRD

Programs: AA Plat/6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by okazon69
... You have to click back TWICE, which is more than annoying! The fix suggested above using Ad Block Plus doesn't help.
Please add the friendconnect rule I noted in #23.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 6:01 pm
AHN

Programs: SK EBG
Originally Posted by SamCat
I'm on an IMac and use Safari. As of today, when I click on FT and then click on a thread, I cannot use my back button to return to the main forum. Is anyone else having that problem?
Same here, and hating it!

I really see no value in this. I don't want my facebook friends to see what I do on FT, and the vast majority of them would be utterly disinterested in the discussions here.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by LRD
Please add the friendconnect rule I noted in #23.
Thanks for all of the help. The anti IB brigade salute you.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Yes, a big thank you to LRD!
Old Apr 6, 2010, 7:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Wink

Originally Posted by jackal
And I think I've done a pretty good job of obfuscating links to my real name on FlyerTalk, at least in public view.
Well, I'm going to out you and let the world know that your real name is:

Horatio Finklebeiner

Sorry to do this but I felt compelled.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.