Wiki Posts
Search

TAP Air Portugal Offering Status Match

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2022, 1:59 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Sonny84
Hi...Anyone knows if TAP is currently running a status match with any OneWorld airline?
thanls
Check details provided at the beginning of this thread (you might have to browse first few pages) , everything is explained there

Last edited by fifty_two; Nov 23, 2022 at 2:43 am
Old Nov 30, 2022, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by southlondonphil
The syntax of this bit is rather awkward and confusing, probably due to translation issues from Portuguese -

What this means is that you cannot initiate a Bonus Miles to Status Miles conversion until you are within 5000 Status Miles of the target level e.g. to retain Gold you need to have already earned at least 45000 Status Miles in your collection year before the system will aloow you to top them up with a Bonus Miles conversion.

This year TAP are also running an alternative 'accounting period' for those struggling to meet renewal targets. Potentially most useful to those with mid-year anniversary dates, if you haven't met the renewal threshold by your natuaral 'collection year' end TAP will look at miles accumulated between 1st January and 31st December 2022 and if this total meets the threshold for renewal status will be maintained even if the number of miles earned during you actual collection year was less than the threshold.

Note that this is an either/or count, not in combination i.e if your collection year is June 21-22 you must meet the target either between June 21-22 or Jan-Dec 22, not Jun 21-Dec 22!

Following up on this -

So my LHR-LIS-CUN-LIS-LGW in J (Top Executive) last week earned me just under 24000 miles and brought me within 2000 miles of the magic 50K to retain Gold so I thought I would investigate Miles & Go's 'Convert Miles' option.

Oh Dear, Oh Dear! For the privilege of converting every 2000 of your 'Bonus Miles' (i.e. regular miles) into 1000 'Status Miles' TAP will happily charge you €70 !!

Conversions are only possible in multiples of 2000 Bonus/1000 Status miles so in my case, with just under 1800 Status Miles needed, it would cost me €140 to convert miles (that I have already, in one way or another, paid handsomely for) and if one needed 4000-5000 Status Miles it would cost you the full €350 plus 10000 of your hard-earned regular miles.

Err, No!

Fortunately I have another trip to Lisbon coming up before Christmas which will get me enough miles to meet the 50K threshold under the alternative Jan-Dec accounting period, but anyone looking at the conversion option to top-up a shortfall in Status Miles should be aware of the outrageous cost of doing so.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 2:34 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Oh Dear, Oh Dear! For the privilege of converting every 2000 of your 'Bonus Miles' (i.e. regular miles) into 1000 'Status Miles' TAP will happily charge you €70 !!

but anyone looking at the conversion option to top-up a shortfall in Status Miles should be aware of the outrageous cost of doing so.
Thanks for sharing , its priceless information (unlike price asked by TAP)

if one needed 4000-5000 Status Miles it would cost you the full €350 plus 10000 of your hard-earned regular miles.
Ok , so i guess it only make sense if someone is less than 1000 status miles from the threshold , otherwise €350€ is enough for a TAP return trip from/to some destinations and could get you similar amount of status miles

Last edited by fifty_two; Dec 1, 2022 at 2:41 am
Old Dec 1, 2022, 2:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
In some circumstances it may be better to buy a Club TAP Miles&Go package since they provide 50 to 400 Status Miles per month, depending on the package, in addition to bonus miles.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 4:05 am

Programs: Flying Blue Silver / TAP & Star Alliance Gold / Accor Hotels Gold / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Following up on this -
So my LHR-LIS-CUN-LIS-LGW in J (Top Executive) last week earned me just under 24000 miles and brought me within 2000 miles of the magic 50K to retain Gold so I thought I would investigate Miles & Go's 'Convert Miles' option.
Thank you very much for your contribution; very interesting!

I shouldn't need this to keep my status but it's good to know.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 4:36 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Gold / TAP Miles&Go Gold / IHG Diamond
Hello - I wanted to share my experience with this status match challenge, in the hope that someone has experienced a similar problem and solved it. I joined this status match challenge in February 2022. At the time I was told that in order to keep Gold status in 2023, I would need to fly 25,000 miles and take 4 TAP flights before the end of February 2023. I will meet these goals. However, on the app/website it says that to keep Gold I need to fly 25,000 miles or take 40 TAP flights before the end of August 2023 (though my current Gold status card says it expires at the end of March). So I emailed TAP to ask for confirmation, and was told 50,00 miles or take 40 TAP flights by the end of March 2023. Needless to say I am frustrated and confused. Anyone here had a similar problem?
Old Jan 1, 2023, 6:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
My reading of the posts upthread is that in the email you get announcing the status match/challenge, it does (or should) say not to take the online display as correct. So if the email says "both" then that's what applies. And this applies to the other cases upthread too. The "or" situation is for continuing members who can do one or the other, in the normal membership renewal process. The answer you got was correct for the usual renewal process, but that's not the same as the status match. So have a read upthread and all should be clearer, but you either do the 50k or 40 flights by March to get the full year renewal in the usual way, alternatively the later dated status match with the "and". Your card won't drop down between February and August. The February/March confusion is presumably just some sort of mis-reading.

Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the TAP Air Portugal forum.
Earthman and mjipennington like this.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 9:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by mjipennington
Hello - I wanted to share my experience with this status match challenge, in the hope that someone has experienced a similar problem and solved it. I joined this status match challenge in February 2022. At the time I was told that in order to keep Gold status in 2023, I would need to fly 25,000 miles and take 4 TAP flights before the end of February 2023. I will meet these goals. However, on the app/website it says that to keep Gold I need to fly 25,000 miles or take 40 TAP flights before the end of August 2023 (though my current Gold status card says it expires at the end of March). So I emailed TAP to ask for confirmation, and was told 50,00 miles or take 40 TAP flights by the end of March 2023. Needless to say I am frustrated and confused. Anyone here had a similar problem?
my email said 25k miles and 4 flights
If Tap don't honour that,they'll have flown me cheaply to a few places but won't get anymore business from me and obviously I'll be highlighting this as a scam
It's extremely unlikely in my opinion that the email version is incorrect as its surely tailored to the individual with reference to what they applied for and what was on offer at the time of the application, surely ?
Old Jan 3, 2023, 3:36 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Gold / TAP Miles&Go Gold / IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Earthman
my email said 25k miles and 4 flights
If Tap don't honour that,they'll have flown me cheaply to a few places but won't get anymore business from me and obviously I'll be highlighting this as a scam
It's extremely unlikely in my opinion that the email version is incorrect as its surely tailored to the individual with reference to what they applied for and what was on offer at the time of the application, surely ?
That is how I feel too. I have highlighted to them that they are changing the rules of the status challenge after people are accepted. They don't seem to care. That's why I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. I guess we will find out in the coming months. Earthman - when does your 12 months challenge period end?
Old Jan 3, 2023, 5:07 am

No-one in this thread has reported the email offer being changed or rescinded for worse conditions. Occasionally people beneift from other offers that improve the process (e.g. double status mile fare offers).
Old Jan 4, 2023, 8:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
I never received email confirmation of what I needed to attain in order to retain Gold after status match. I only received the following text below saying not to go by the 25K miles OR 40 flights indicated on the dashboard.

Renewal Conditions
Your new status will be valid for at least 12 months from the date of your Promotion. At the end of the Annual Miles Earning Period, your status will be regulated in accordance with the general regulations applicable to the TAP Miles&Go Programme.
While enjoying the benefits of the Status Match Campaign, that is to say, from the time of Promotion to the first Renewal, you are expressly excluded from the general Promotion, Renewal and Downgrading rules in force under the TAP Miles&Go Programme, even when possible application of the general rules will be beneficial for you.

We inform you that, due to technical reasons, the information you will find in your client area may be different from this. However, these rules will prevail for clients involved in the Status Match Campaign.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold
That is how I feel too. I have highlighted to them that they are changing the rules of the status challenge after people are accepted. They don't seem to care. That's why I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. I guess we will find out in the coming months. Earthman - when does your 12 months challenge period end?
my digital card says the end of May
My email says march 31st
Confusing? Yes
Old Jan 6, 2023, 12:57 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Silver / TAP & Star Alliance Gold / Accor Hotels Gold / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Hello,

Do you have an email saying that it is 25 000 miles and 4 TAP flights to renew your status? If you have it, I am afraid it was an error from TAP (communication to clients not updated).

There is two different rules for the Status Match campaign, the "old" one (2020) and the current one (2022):

The one issued on 03 August 2020 with these renewal conditions:
"3.4.2. On the expiry date of the status acquired through this Campaign, the Client / New Client will have the opportunity to renew their status until the end of their current Annual Miles Earning Period, on the condition that during the previous 12 (twelve) months they have simultaneously earned at least: (i) 25,000 (twenty-five thousand) Status Miles and 4 (four) TAP Air Portugal flight segments, for Clients with TAP Miles&Go Gold status; or (ii) 10,000 (ten thousand) Status Miles and 2 (two) TAP Air Portugal flight segments, for Clients with TAP Miles&Go Silver status. This first renewal will be valid for 1 (one) to 12 (twelve) months, depending on the renewal date of the Client’s / New Client’s Annual Miles Earning Period."
-> The one you mentioned

The one issued on 4 January 22 with these renewal conditions:
"3.4.2. At the end of the Annual Miles Earning Period, the Client’s / New Client’s status will be regulated in accordance with the general regulations applicable to the TAP Miles&Go Programme."
-> The current one

So it appears the rule has changed since beginning of 2022 and now it is 50 000 miles status or 40 TAP flights.
RafKa and fifty_two like this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 4:26 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Laudl13
So it appears the rule has changed since beginning of 2022 and now it is 50 000 miles status or 40 TAP flights.
Thanks , thats the information we all missed or didnt received .

Mine will finish in end of march 2023 , but i will pass over the threshold earlier , so i will soon find out and share it with you folks here

Unless you are flying often/only towards places where TAP has a "kind-of-monopoly" situation, or often from europe to brasil , then you can take your money elsewhere = TK has discretionary status match or if you live in europe A3 is not hard to get status with

If Tap don't honour that,they'll have flown me cheaply to a few places but won't get anymore business from me
Well , TP is well known for not managing a lot of things well , so thats the best course of action to take

No need to renew your club membership also and you can forget about TP

and obviously I'll be highlighting this as a scam
That is how I feel too. I have highlighted to them that they are changing the rules of the status challenge after people are accepted. They don't seem to care.
Even if there was a mistake , a quick email reminder would have helped , and its not hard to do , TP has sent bunch of email marketing campaigns about sales or whatever useless topics , so they can easily inform people about requirements for status match

FFPs are airline's cash cows , so i assume it was done deliberately , to motivate people to fly TP so they get more cash , but not enough to retain gold

Please let me know if i am wrong , but as i havent seen rules about softlanding , or even people getting silver if going over 30k but below 50k after status match year's end, so my only guess is that if someone doesnt get 50k he will essentially loose it all .

It was a clever sneaky move from their side to discretly change terms and conditons to limit the "damage" and avoid costing more money in 2023 while attracting people by publicly advertise incorrect / false informations
RafKa likes this.

Last edited by fifty_two; Jan 10, 2023 at 3:03 am
Old Jan 16, 2023, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by fifty_two
Thanks , thats the information we all missed or didnt received .
Unless you are flying often/only towards places where TAP has a "kind-of-monopoly" situation, or often from europe to brasil , then you can take your money elsewhere = TK has discretionary status match or if you live in europe A3 is not hard to get status with
On my side, I should achieve the 50 000 miles objective by mid-march, with 5 travels (20 flights total), 2 with TAP and 3 with others Star Alliance airlines.

I will post the summary of that once it is done and what is my feeling on this / how to optimize the gain of miles.
Earthman and fifty_two like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.