Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: TAP Air Portugal Airbus A330-900neo

GUIDE: TAP Air Portugal Airbus A330-900neo

Old Nov 26, 21, 2:47 pm
  #61  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MXP
Programs: SK*G
Posts: 2,886
Originally Posted by desafino View Post
My LIS-JFK was just swapped to a 330neo. Is it right that 3/5/7 AK are the "true" window seats?
And both my EWR segments in February got downgraded from 330neo to 321LR
gojko88 is offline  
Old Nov 26, 21, 3:00 pm
  #62  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: PVG, FRA, SEA, HEL
Programs: UA Premier Gold
Posts: 4,782
And both my EWR segments in February got downgraded from 330neo to 321LR
As the Schengen travel ban most likely will be reimposed within the next weeks, you wouldn't be able to take tis flight anyway - unless you have an US passport.
warakorn is offline  
Old Nov 26, 21, 4:06 pm
  #63  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MXP
Programs: SK*G
Posts: 2,886
That's speculative at best, and very far from "most likely".
mmff likes this.
gojko88 is offline  
Old Nov 30, 21, 7:02 pm
  #64  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,158
Originally Posted by gojko88 View Post
And both my EWR segments in February got downgraded from 330neo to 321LR
It seems that TP flies only the A339 to JFK. If aircraft type is a priority out of NYC, maybe JFK is your best bet?
gojko88 and Warriorconcept like this.
mmff is offline  
Old Dec 1, 21, 2:28 am
  #65  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MXP
Programs: SK*G
Posts: 2,886
A useful tip, but I'm connecting from to/from domestic UA flights, so EWR is more convenient, and I guess the "throne" seats in the A321LR aren't too bad. I'm just sad because I chose an earlier (afternoon) departure out of EWR specifically to try out the A330, whereas I could've gone for the evening one. Called TP to see if they'd rebook free of charge, but no chance.
gojko88 is offline  
Old Jun 25, 22, 1:32 pm
  #66  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,954
Originally Posted by mmff View Post
1E and 1F have the bassinet seats, you may be bumped out of those seats if there are babies on board. In addition, they are the closest to the galley, so noise and traffic is to be expected.
Is this still current and correct?

Also, any recent experience on the seats, service, F&B, etc.? The same 2nd rate experience as always?
sfvoyage is online now  
Old Jun 26, 22, 2:59 am
  #67  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 55,151
"Second rate" is going to be a value judgement. I would suggest the great majority of people who select these seats have an enjoyable trip, without being bumped and without really noticing noise from the galley area, which is some way forward, particularly once they've plugged themselves into the IFE system. Other travellers may really notice the noise, depends on your mindset really. I don't think these are bad seats.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old Jun 26, 22, 11:40 am
  #68  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,954
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
"Second rate" is going to be a value judgement. I would suggest the great majority of people who select these seats have an enjoyable trip, without being bumped and without really noticing noise from the galley area, which is some way forward, particularly once they've plugged themselves into the IFE system. Other travellers may really notice the noise, depends on your mindset really. I don't think these are bad seats.
I should clarify that my "second rate" remark wasn't particular to seats 1EF, but the overall J experience, which I had experienced a few years ago. The F&B was average, service was average, seat comfort was average: everything paled in comparison to the top tier European airlines (and, of course, Asian airlines). However, I didn't mind too much because TP was priced lower than the other European airlines for my itinerary. TP doesn't aspire to be top tier, which is reflected by their occasional promotional pricing, when you can find seats on your desired itinerary on your desired dates.
sfvoyage is online now  
Old Jun 26, 22, 12:02 pm
  #69  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 55,151
Originally Posted by sfvoyage View Post
I should clarify that my "second rate" remark wasn't particular to seats 1EF, but the overall J experience, which I had experienced a few years ago. The F&B was average, service was average, seat comfort was average: everything paled in comparison to the top tier European airlines (and, of course, Asian airlines). However, I didn't mind too much because TP was priced lower than the other European airlines for my itinerary. TP doesn't aspire to be top tier, which is reflected by their occasional promotional pricing, when you can find seats on your desired itinerary on your desired dates.
I would certainly go along with that. It has a number of unique selling points, the biggest of which is that it can be very cost effective, particularly if you are making a direct comparison with a fare on Iberia, Air France, Lufthansa, BA and so on. Secondly the fleet is almost completely new. Thirdly it has some very interesting routes combinations, and routes which no one else serves. But the downsides incliude some poor customer experiences compared to other airlines (website and when things go wrong). LIS isn't always a good connection experience, there again FRA, AMS, LHR also have problems at the moment. I'm not sure I would agree on the F&B side, particularly at the moment, since some of the other major transatlantic airlines aren't doing that well in this area at the moment. It is very Portuguese in tenor and I guess that's a personal choice as to whether that works for any particular traveller.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old Jun 26, 22, 12:23 pm
  #70  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,954
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I'm not sure I would agree on the F&B side, particularly at the moment, since some of the other major transatlantic airlines aren't doing that well in this area at the moment. It is very Portuguese in tenor and I guess that's a personal choice as to whether that works for any particular traveller.
I haven't flown TP post-Covid but have bookings in November. Pre-Covid, I remember being surprised at their all-Portuguese wine list. I don't drink that much (especially not while flying) and am not necessarily a big oenopile, and I do like some Portuguese wines. However, I thought it odd that they don't offer a real French champagne - the first time I've encountered that in a J cabin. All other airlines have always featured a french champagne in J, and TP's espumante served on my flights was unfortunately rather forgettable.

One thing that draws me to TP, besides the promotional sales, is the opportunity for a free stopover in LIS, as I like to visit Portugal whenever possible. On this note, while their free stopover program lists LIS or OPO, I have never been able to stop in OPO and don't believe that is even an option for TATL flights, as TP doesn't serve North America from OPO. Is there any exceptional routing where I can get a stopover at OPO between SFO and a European city (not Portuguese)?
sfvoyage is online now  
Old Jun 26, 22, 1:00 pm
  #71  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 55,151
Originally Posted by sfvoyage View Post
One thing that draws me to TP, besides the promotional sales, is the opportunity for a free stopover in LIS, as I like to visit Portugal whenever possible. On this note, while their free stopover program lists LIS or OPO, I have never been able to stop in OPO and don't believe that is even an option for TATL flights, as TP doesn't serve North America from OPO. Is there any exceptional routing where I can get a stopover at OPO between SFO and a European city (not Portuguese)?
Yes, there is a twice weekly Sunday and Wednesday service between Newark and OPO, it is currently booked to run to the end of October, and because of all that has happened in the last few years I'm not sure what happens in the winter (probably TAP isn't sure either). There are also some connections you can wangle via PDL - worth a visit in its own right via the codeshares with Azores airline SATA - TAP run plenty of services between PDL and OPO.
sfvoyage likes this.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old Jun 30, 22, 9:16 am
  #72  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: ANC, NYC
Posts: 217
OPO is a great place to clear passport control.

Also, the 330neos are incredibly quiet.
sfvoyage likes this.
desafino is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread