Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: TAP Air Portugal Airbus A330-900neo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GUIDE: TAP Air Portugal Airbus A330-900neo

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2021, 2:47 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by desafino
My LIS-JFK was just swapped to a 330neo. Is it right that 3/5/7 AK are the "true" window seats?
And both my EWR segments in February got downgraded from 330neo to 321LR
Old Nov 26, 2021, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
As the Schengen travel ban most likely will be reimposed within the next weeks, you wouldn't be able to take tis flight anyway - unless you have an US passport.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 4:06 pm

That's speculative at best, and very far from "most likely".
mmff likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by gojko88
It seems that TP flies only the A339 to JFK. If aircraft type is a priority out of NYC, maybe JFK is your best bet?
gojko88 and Warriorconcept like this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 2:28 am

A useful tip, but I'm connecting from to/from domestic UA flights, so EWR is more convenient, and I guess the "throne" seats in the A321LR aren't too bad. I'm just sad because I chose an earlier (afternoon) departure out of EWR specifically to try out the A330, whereas I could've gone for the evening one. Called TP to see if they'd rebook free of charge, but no chance.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by mmff
1E and 1F have the bassinet seats, you may be bumped out of those seats if there are babies on board. In addition, they are the closest to the galley, so noise and traffic is to be expected.
Is this still current and correct?

Also, any recent experience on the seats, service, F&B, etc.? The same 2nd rate experience as always?
Old Jun 26, 2022, 2:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
"Second rate" is going to be a value judgement. I would suggest the great majority of people who select these seats have an enjoyable trip, without being bumped and without really noticing noise from the galley area, which is some way forward, particularly once they've plugged themselves into the IFE system. Other travellers may really notice the noise, depends on your mindset really. I don't think these are bad seats.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
"Second rate" is going to be a value judgement. I would suggest the great majority of people who select these seats have an enjoyable trip, without being bumped and without really noticing noise from the galley area, which is some way forward, particularly once they've plugged themselves into the IFE system. Other travellers may really notice the noise, depends on your mindset really. I don't think these are bad seats.
I should clarify that my "second rate" remark wasn't particular to seats 1EF, but the overall J experience, which I had experienced a few years ago. The F&B was average, service was average, seat comfort was average: everything paled in comparison to the top tier European airlines (and, of course, Asian airlines). However, I didn't mind too much because TP was priced lower than the other European airlines for my itinerary. TP doesn't aspire to be top tier, which is reflected by their occasional promotional pricing, when you can find seats on your desired itinerary on your desired dates.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 12:02 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
I should clarify that my "second rate" remark wasn't particular to seats 1EF, but the overall J experience, which I had experienced a few years ago. The F&B was average, service was average, seat comfort was average: everything paled in comparison to the top tier European airlines (and, of course, Asian airlines). However, I didn't mind too much because TP was priced lower than the other European airlines for my itinerary. TP doesn't aspire to be top tier, which is reflected by their occasional promotional pricing, when you can find seats on your desired itinerary on your desired dates.
I would certainly go along with that. It has a number of unique selling points, the biggest of which is that it can be very cost effective, particularly if you are making a direct comparison with a fare on Iberia, Air France, Lufthansa, BA and so on. Secondly the fleet is almost completely new. Thirdly it has some very interesting routes combinations, and routes which no one else serves. But the downsides incliude some poor customer experiences compared to other airlines (website and when things go wrong). LIS isn't always a good connection experience, there again FRA, AMS, LHR also have problems at the moment. I'm not sure I would agree on the F&B side, particularly at the moment, since some of the other major transatlantic airlines aren't doing that well in this area at the moment. It is very Portuguese in tenor and I guess that's a personal choice as to whether that works for any particular traveller.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm not sure I would agree on the F&B side, particularly at the moment, since some of the other major transatlantic airlines aren't doing that well in this area at the moment. It is very Portuguese in tenor and I guess that's a personal choice as to whether that works for any particular traveller.
I haven't flown TP post-Covid but have bookings in November. Pre-Covid, I remember being surprised at their all-Portuguese wine list. I don't drink that much (especially not while flying) and am not necessarily a big oenopile, and I do like some Portuguese wines. However, I thought it odd that they don't offer a real French champagne - the first time I've encountered that in a J cabin. All other airlines have always featured a french champagne in J, and TP's espumante served on my flights was unfortunately rather forgettable.

One thing that draws me to TP, besides the promotional sales, is the opportunity for a free stopover in LIS, as I like to visit Portugal whenever possible. On this note, while their free stopover program lists LIS or OPO, I have never been able to stop in OPO and don't believe that is even an option for TATL flights, as TP doesn't serve North America from OPO. Is there any exceptional routing where I can get a stopover at OPO between SFO and a European city (not Portuguese)?
Old Jun 26, 2022, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by sfvoyage
One thing that draws me to TP, besides the promotional sales, is the opportunity for a free stopover in LIS, as I like to visit Portugal whenever possible. On this note, while their free stopover program lists LIS or OPO, I have never been able to stop in OPO and don't believe that is even an option for TATL flights, as TP doesn't serve North America from OPO. Is there any exceptional routing where I can get a stopover at OPO between SFO and a European city (not Portuguese)?
Yes, there is a twice weekly Sunday and Wednesday service between Newark and OPO, it is currently booked to run to the end of October, and because of all that has happened in the last few years I'm not sure what happens in the winter (probably TAP isn't sure either). There are also some connections you can wangle via PDL - worth a visit in its own right via the codeshares with Azores airline SATA - TAP run plenty of services between PDL and OPO.
sfvoyage likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 9:16 am

OPO is a great place to clear passport control.

Also, the 330neos are incredibly quiet.
sfvoyage likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 1:39 pm

Programs: MP Gold, AAdvantage
Flying EWR-OPO in J in January with wife. Which row of middle seats would be best - 1/3/5/7/9?
Also, does this plane board/deboard in front of J cabin or behind it?
Thanks!
Old Dec 22, 2022, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by WormGod
Flying EWR-OPO in J in January with wife. Which row of middle seats would be best - 1/3/5/7/9?
Also, does this plane board/deboard in front of J cabin or behind it?
Thanks!
I don't think there's a huge difference, but it's a night flight so the middle area (row 5) would be quieter. Embarkation and disembarkation would usually be door 2L, which is behind the Executive cabin. If OPO needs to disembark by bus (the non Schengen area is quite small) then it may end up being door 1L, but it's unlknowable how this will end up.
WormGod likes this.
Old May 25, 2023, 10:24 am

Programs: UA Gold, WN A-List, Marriott Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Which would you choose - 10AC (bulkhead in Comfort) for 95 EUR or a typical comfort window/aisle for 60 EUR? I am 6'4", so leg room is key for me, but I'm concerned that row 10 is right up against the lav. Anybody know if that lav is for business only (I think?) and if there's a separator so perhaps the line/galley isn't bothersome to those in row 10? I could also choose a "normal" (not comfort) seat with standard pitch for 40 EUR. It's an overnight flight, so would like to sleep as much as possible.

On the return, nothing available in bulkhead comfort, but 27HK (exit row in "standard" portion of plan) is available for an even more expensive 100 EUR/seat. Lavs are in front of that too, but perhaps more separated given huge emergency exits right there, but maybe even more annoying because I assume people congregate there for TATL flights. This is a late day flight (departs 5pm).

Maybe I'll keep it simple and just do the typical comfort seats both ways for 60 EUR to avoid being close to galley/lav. The extra 3 inches of legroom is pretty key for me for a 9 hour flight, even though I think that cost is kinda absurd and having more than 3" extra is even better usually...hmmmm.

Edit: After watching the below video, seems like row 27 would be annoying with a ton of people gathered in that area with the lavs and no separation whereas row 10 might be okay as I actually see a curtain potentially between the lav and seats (presumably those lavs are for business class only?). Although you'd still hear the flushing from the lav constantly perhaps since it's close.

Last edited by bluedog423; May 25, 2023 at 10:50 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.