Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Voting Ended - Motion Passed: Renaming Car Rental Programs/Partners & adding forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voting Ended - Motion Passed: Renaming Car Rental Programs/Partners & adding forum

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2015, 11:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm inclined to vote no for many of the reasons given in this thread. IMO the motion isn't well thought out in terms of either its scope (Uber-like services only or include other close substitutes?) or where such forum should be located on FT. If location-specific information continues to reside, as I believe it should, in the destination fora, I'm not convinced that a general Uber forum will have sufficient traffic--especially if people can't find it intuitively.
Old May 4, 2015, 12:21 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
If that was the case I wish you would have said something during the last month when we were crafting the motion. We kept waiting for more input and it would have been very nice to have heard your suggestions then.
Old May 4, 2015, 12:27 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Many crimes are "here to stay" . does the fact that crimes are going to occur therefore make it ok to support?

Surely that the forum , if created, would be actively supporting and encouraging the breach of FT's own TOS makes it not something that should exist regardless. Has it been approved to change the TOS to allow the support and encouragement of criminal activity ( and driving passengers without insurance is a crime in several countries at least ) ?

I would say that the creation of any forum to cover such topics should surely be deferred until such time that it is operating legally
I do not disagree with you; and I certainly would not want to support a motion that condones illegal activity...

...but there are two things to keep in mind:
  1. I have already posted that I knew little about services offered by such entities as Uber and Lyft; and that I have never used those services
    Originally Posted by Canarsie
    Despite the fact that I have never used their services, this is not about me.
  2. This issue of illegal activity was not brought to my attention until you posted in this discussion
Regardless, I still voted no on the motion; so the point became moot with me anyway...
Old May 4, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CMK10
If that was the case I wish you would have said something during the last month when we were crafting the motion. We kept waiting for more input and it would have been very nice to have heard your suggestions then.
I did question what the scope should be: national car services such as Carey, SuperShuttle, rental car companies where you get a car and driver, etc. I don't recall the early discussion being very specific about where the proposed forum would be placed in FT. I still don't see anything in the motion about what is to be done with existing threads about Uber in destination fora such as China.
Old May 4, 2015, 1:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
To add grist to the mill, when traveling I sometimes use private driver services such as those offered by Wayan Suetayasa in Bali, of http://www.hiddenbali.com, Filippo Biasini of http://www.rome-tours.org in Rome, both private, licensed individuals / sole proprietorships.

In London, I've used "minicab" services from companies. In New Zealand, the driving services provided by Lode and Sandi Notredame of http://www.amazingnz.com.

Where would these fit in?
Old May 4, 2015, 2:54 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I voted yes, and here is why:
There are so many apps, tips, and tricks for transport out there that it's just not convenient to place these in the destination forums. For instance, there is a app which I found out by mistake (not on FT where it should be) called taxify. It's a uber-like app which works in 11 cities (10 in Europe, one in South Africa). I used the app to get around Vilnius, and instead of haggling everywhere, dealing with weird meters, the app allowed me to grab a cab without any issues and I had a choice of paying by car or by card.
Another app that I used in Vilnius is etaksi which works across Lithuania and I can select which cab companies I want to use. It's similar to taxify but it's mainly cash based. In Poland, there are some android apps like zlap-taxi which allows you to pick a city and it lists all the cab companies, their numbers, and rates. Some apps go across countries like Uber. Having this info in one location I think is easier then digging thru the destination forums (which doesn't seem to have this info to begin with).
Old May 4, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by rwoman
How about this?

Information Desk

The information desk forum exists to send questions to the place where they stand most chance of being answered, i'm suggesting we should have a system for sending specific people to answer particular questions.

Originally Posted by jason8612
I voted yes, and here is why:
There are so many apps, tips, and tricks for transport out there that it's just not convenient to place these in the destination forums. For instance, there is a app which I found out by mistake (not on FT where it should be) called taxify. It's a uber-like app which works in 11 cities (10 in Europe, one in South Africa). I used the app to get around Vilnius, and instead of haggling everywhere, dealing with weird meters, the app allowed me to grab a cab without any issues and I had a choice of paying by car or by card.
Another app that I used in Vilnius is etaksi which works across Lithuania and I can select which cab companies I want to use. It's similar to taxify but it's mainly cash based. In Poland, there are some android apps like zlap-taxi which allows you to pick a city and it lists all the cab companies, their numbers, and rates. Some apps go across countries like Uber. Having this info in one location I think is easier then digging thru the destination forums (which doesn't seem to have this info to begin with).
That is a good point but I think that is information that would add value to the destination forums rather than being better placed in it's own forum. For me destination forums are the obvious place to look for information of any type regarding a particular city.

Also, given that threads regarding specific cities are kicked out of DiningBuzz, surely it is illogical to create another forum devoted to a general subject which sucks in threads related to specific cities.
Old May 4, 2015, 3:39 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by exilencfc
That is a good point but I think that is information that would add value to the destination forums rather than being better placed in it's own forum. For me destination forums are the obvious place to look for information of any type regarding a particular city.
I think that's a good point when the city you're dealing with is New York, but have you seen some of the other destination forums? South, Midwest etc. are really lightly trafficked.

Also, it can be confusing knowing which forum to go to for a city such as Omaha.
Old May 5, 2015, 4:07 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
I think that's a good point when the city you're dealing with is New York, but have you seen some of the other destination forums? South, Midwest etc. are really lightly trafficked.

Also, it can be confusing knowing which forum to go to for a city such as Omaha.
That is definitely a good point, I must admit that I focus on the European destination forums which tend towards high traffic levels. But, as I said above, adding information to a destination forum will helpfully help it attract traffic.
Old May 5, 2015, 4:42 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...

How is it confusing to know to use a destination forum for city-specific information?

Shouldn't TalkBoard be considering how to drive traffic to more lightly used forums, especially if they aren't going to do their annual usage review and consider closing any forums?
Old May 5, 2015, 7:53 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Admin Question: Was there a site wide announcement of this vote?
Old May 5, 2015, 7:58 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
If we focused on utilizing the Destinations forums properly, it might drive more traffic there. UBER postings in the destination forums can be one way of helping the process. We should find ways to utilize the current structure (if it can work) before worrying about new forums.
Old May 5, 2015, 8:30 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Mary2e
What in the world do ride services have to do with rental cars? Why mix them together?
Because the two are often substitutes for each other, and because innovations like Zipcar may blur the lines further. Our forum structure should accommodate technological evolution.
Old May 5, 2015, 8:38 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by wharvey
I recall seeing senior moderator Prospero post a site-wide announcement presumably on CD's behalf.

If we focused on utilizing the Destinations forums properly, it might drive more traffic there. UBER postings in the destination forums can be one way of helping the process. We should find ways to utilize the current structure (if it can work) before worrying about new forums.
Completely agree and always favor trying to use existing forums rather than created ever more.
Old May 5, 2015, 9:28 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by wharvey
Originally Posted by tcook052
I recall seeing senior moderator Prospero post a site-wide announcement presumably on CD's behalf.
The vote for this motion was also featured in the latest issue of the TalkMail newsletter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.