Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Voting Ended - Motion Passed: Renaming Car Rental Programs/Partners & adding forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voting Ended - Motion Passed: Renaming Car Rental Programs/Partners & adding forum

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:42 am

My 2 cents:

I never pipe in on talkboard matters either, but I would love to see a forum for ride share services. I don't really care where you put it. This type of forum would really helps me in my travel planning to know what's available and how good the particular service works. For instance there are alot of countries out there that have very specific taxi apps instead of Uber services and it would be nice to find a central forum to find all of that info. I don't see why it's such a big deal to try it out and if it flops it flops.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by goteed1
My 2 cents: This type of forum would really helps me in my travel planning to know what's available and how good the particular service works. For instance there are alot of countries out there that have very specific taxi apps instead of Uber services and it would be nice to find a central forum to find all of that info.
On that basis, though, doesn't that argue for having the discussion be in the specific geographic forums?

Then we wind up with three categories of places for discussions of ridesharing - a central ridesharing forum, the geographic forums and the loyalty program forums. To my mind, that makes critical mass of discussion even less likely.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Off-topic from actual forum discussion, but bit of history & clarification that seconding a motion means an automatic yes vote (it doesn't).

Originally Posted by bdschobel

Obviously, I'm going to vote in favor of this motion, having seconded it.

Bruce
While bdschobel has said he'll vote for this because he seconded it, it should be noted that in the past there have been TB members who seconded a motion who didn't vote in favor of the motion. They thought the motion had enough merit to get a second & bring it up for a vote, but didn't mean that they supported it per se.

Cheers.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Oppose.

What in the world do ride services have to do with rental cars? Why mix them together?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:57 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Oppose.

What in the world do ride services have to do with rental cars? Why mix them together?
Ride services have absolutely nothing to do with rental cars. Mary2e is right.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:37 pm

On that basis, though, doesn't that argue for having the discussion be in the specific geographic forums?
I think the idea is that if I'm looking for information about a ride share service that may or may not exist in a certain country, it's like looking for a needle in haystack at this point. And even if I post a query, it would probably stand a better chance of getting answered in a specific forum dedicated to that subject.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by goteed1
...I don't see why it's such a big deal to try it out and if it flops it flops.
Neither do I, and I appreciate the reinforcement of my position. People act like opening a forum that flops is some sort of terrible tragedy. It's not. But this one is very, very unlikely to flop, in my view. Uber and its kin are getting bigger and bigger every day. Having a central, consolidated place to learn about these services is going to be very useful. And that was the original request from users, too.
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Off-topic from actual forum discussion, but bit of history & clarification that seconding a motion means an automatic yes vote (it doesn't).

While bdschobel has said he'll vote for this because he seconded it, it should be noted that in the past there have been TB members who seconded a motion who didn't vote in favor of the motion. They thought the motion had enough merit to get a second & bring it up for a vote, but didn't mean that they supported it per se.
I think it's pretty strange to make or second a motion and then vote against it, UNLESS you changed your mind as a result of the discussion. I suppose that could happen here, but I doubt it.

Bruce
Old Apr 28, 2015, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
Oppose.

What she said. I don't really see the synergies between car hire and taxis/black cars/ride sharing (perhaps a pros/cons discussion between renting a car vs. using public/private transportation in a specific situation, but that's about it).

If we want to move such discussions off the geographic forums or Travelbuzz, perhaps a new top-level that would incorporate fora for taxis, black cars and network transport companies?

Last edited by empedocles; Apr 28, 2015 at 6:10 pm
Old Apr 28, 2015, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I would suggest that to the extent that destination specific posts re: Uber, etc. are placed in the general discussion board, that the title and redirect stay in the new forum for an extended time period, i.e., months.

Otherwise, we'll probably end up with a forum with very few posts and have created a recipe for extinction.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:29 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Oppose.

Is hell freezing over again?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by bdschobel
Having a central, consolidated place to learn about these services is going to be very useful.
What will the moderation policy be around posts re: ridesharing companies?

Are the mods going to automatically move posts about partnerships from the loyalty forum of the relevant partner to the parent ridesharing forum?

That's the piece that I care about. If there's news about, e.g., a Hyatt/Lyft partnership, I should be able to read about it in the Hyatt forum and not have to monitor the ridesharing board.

I think (I might) speak for the unwashed masses who tend to only read the boards directly relevant to their travel patterns and don't browse much beyond that. For instance, I never read the destination forums. If I have to regularly cruise another forum to find out information that affects my participation in a loyalty program, I'm not going to do it.

Greg
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:50 pm

I understand that the plan for this new forum is to centralize the discussion of "Ride Services, including Uber and Lyft". However, I don't really understand, in a specific sense, what will be posted there. To quote Prospero from the pre-vote discussion forum:
Originally Posted by Prospero
Not at all.

Topics relating to earning SPG points are covered in the SPG forum
Topics relating to ground transportation are covered in the destination forums
Topics relating to Uber/Lyft/Sidecar loyalty, safety et al have been covered in ten TravelBuzz threads over a span of four years.

The status quo is perfectly intuitive as demonstrated.
It seems that all discussion of ride services have a home under the current system.

Is the plan for this new forum to be a place to discuss general Uber, Lyft and other ride service topics and news (e.g. "Concerns over Uber's safety grow with its popularity", "Lyft may expand to 100 cities globally in 2015", "Uber secures Series D funding")?

Will new topics currently covered in Destination forums be moved to "Ride Services, including Uber and Lyft"? And, will existing threads be moved and merged from Destinations to Ride Services in order to create mega-threads for each specific destination?

Will threads addressing cross-program promotions (e.g. SPG and Uber) remain in their respective threads or move to the "Ride Services, including Uber and Lyft" forum?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:41 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm inclined to be against this, but I'm willing to be convinced.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:24 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

One of the reasons why I was first considering voting for this motion was based on the opinion offered by a moderator of the TravelBuzz forum, who inadvertently started this discussion...
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I decided to research exactly where that discussion began and who initiated it — and lo and behold, it was initiated by one of the moderators of the TravelBuzz forum:
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
Finally, we are seeing many more threads in TravelBuzz on hired-driver automobile transportation services: taxis, app-based services (Lyft, Sidecar, Uber, etc.) and limos. I'd like to suggest that this whole area of hired-driver services may now deserve its own space on FlyerTalk, with forum divisions as might be apt.
Now, I am not suggesting that what he posted should automatically be taken as though it were carved in stone; but perhaps he provides an equally compelling argument as to why a new forum should be created.

I am reading the thoughts of everyone who posted and taking everything into consideration while I continue to view this proposal objectively, as I always do...
...and now another moderator of the TravelBuzz forum has spoken...
Originally Posted by obscure2k
+1 . I agree with Prospero 100%, therefore I feel no need to further expand on my reasons for opposing this motion.
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Ride services have absolutely nothing to do with rental cars. Mary2e is right.
Both are respected colleagues who apparently have opposing views pertaining to this issue — and that is okay...

...but I am also reading what everyone else is posting as well on both sides of the debate over whether or not there should be a separate forum for “ride services”; and I favored starting off with general discussions posted in the rental car forum — but now I am not so sure about that, given the objections posted in this discussion.

Not to be a contrarian; but I currently do not favor the creation of an independent ride services forum at this time and will likely vote against it, as the need for such a forum on FlyerTalk just does not seem to be strong enough, in my opinion.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:07 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I support the idea of a dedicated Ride Services forum, but not the placement of the forum in the Car Rental Programs area. I think the fundamental self-drive / chauffeur-driven distinction makes the placement unintuitive.

I think that FlyerTalk should be proactive in creating forums for which there is not yet established discussion, but it's not enough to create a forum, post a single announcement, sit back and wait for it to be discovered and used. FT seems deficient in internal promotion. We have a large established audience, and we need to systematically publicize and promote under utilized forums (old or new). Every Administrator, Moderator, TalkBoard member, and prolific poster can help attract traffic.

Here are some tools which could be used:

• FlyerTalk home page
  • System-wide announcements
  • Individual forum announcements
  • Talk Mail
  • FlyerTalk News
  • FlyerTalk Facebook page
  • FlyerTalk Twitter feed
  • Frugal Travel Guy blog

In passing I note this article from the homepage of Flyertalk's sibling site FrequentFlyer.com

Free Uber Rides, Discounts for Cap One Cardholders

Last edited by mia; May 1, 2015 at 8:14 am Reason: typographical error.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.