Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Voting Ended - Motion Passed: Renaming Car Rental Programs/Partners & adding forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voting Ended - Motion Passed: Renaming Car Rental Programs/Partners & adding forum

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2015, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I saw the site-wide announcement, but I don't remember exactly when it appeared.
Old May 5, 2015, 11:53 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I guess I missed the announcement... I would have assumed announcements would stay up for the duration of a vote.... not everyone checks FT daily and might miss that there is a vote taking place.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I saw the site-wide announcement, but I don't remember exactly when it appeared.
Old May 5, 2015, 2:29 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

A site wide announcement went up shortly after the launch of this thread. It was set up to expire after 7 days, which is consistent with the soft policy of giving a reasonable (but not prolonged) notice period.

If TalkBoard anticipates an extended deliberation period for this or any other motion, a follow up announcement can be set up during the final days of the voting period. This has been done with previous motions.
Old May 5, 2015, 3:28 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I voted Yes. I want FlyerTalk to be the number one site for customer discussion of Ride Services of all sort as they evolve. That can't happen, IMHO, if the discussion is fragmented.
Old May 5, 2015, 5:09 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by nsx
I voted Yes. I want FlyerTalk to be the number one site for customer discussion of Ride Services of all sort as they evolve. That can't happen, IMHO, if the discussion is fragmented.
No one is saying it isn't, but as canarsie (and others have mentioned) renaming Car Rental Forums & adding a forum unrelated to such doesn't necessarily make it the best way to go about it.

Quite frankly (and I expect CMK to bash me on this although it is not aimed at him), the motion should have been floated for longer than 14 hours to get the input re: the 2 co-mingled topics before it actually became a motion. I've seen a few things happening rapidly or getting co-mingled & I don't think that helps FT overall.

Like canarsie & rwoman & MSP (and the FTers who have contributed to this thread), I don't think many are against the idea per se but there were legitimate questions/concerns raised that weren't addressed & thus the motion isn't necessarily the optimal solution, which is why I'd encourage the remaining TB member to vote no (although for all I know said person has already voted yes & this is moot).

Cheers.
Old May 5, 2015, 11:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I don't think "bash" is a fair word, but I do need to correct a falsehood in your post. This motion was "floated" for far over 14 hours.

The motion was drafted April 20th, we posted about it publicly and waited for more feedback. It was redrafted April 24th, one member offered to second and the drafter said he wanted more feedback. Later on April 24th, a straw poll was taken amongst us discussing different approaches. On April 26th, a majority of TB had chimed in, yet we still waited another day until April 27th to put the motion to a vote.

I'd also like to point out that several of the people who voted no were not active at all in suggesting their points during those long gaps between drafts and the motion's creation. I understand people may not like the motion, but please take my word for it that it was not rushed.
Old May 6, 2015, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by CMK10
I'd also like to point out that several of the people who voted no were not active at all in suggesting their points during those long gaps between drafts and the motion's creation. I understand people may not like the motion, but please take my word for it that it was not rushed.
As identified in the private forum thread and acknowledged when I posted in this thread, I was away for the Navy followed by the London Marathon weekend.

Six exceedingly busy days followed by a very hectic weekend meant I missed most of your thread and was playing catch up from the 27th. I would've likely raised the same concerns then but was obviously diverted elsewhere.

I believe having a Ride Services forum IS relevant to FT. I just agree with those who believe putting it with rental cars is not the right place.
Old May 6, 2015, 8:04 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Sorry for delaying this process slightly - just back from a UA GF ICN mistake fare trip.

I voted yes. nsx put it best so I'll just use his words:

Originally Posted by nsx
I agree with those who have concerns as to whether the car rental forum is the right place for it, but after all it's just a recommendation to the Community Director. If she thinks it fits better somewhere else that's her call.

To me, the priority is getting this forum going.
Old May 7, 2015, 1:28 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Motion Passed

Originally Posted by Motion
TalkBoard recommends renaming the heading "Car Rental Programs/Partners" to become "Car Rental Programs and Ride Services"

TalkBoard recommends creation of a new forum at the top position under that heading entitled "Ride Services, including Uber and Lyft".
On May 6th, 2015, Talkboard succeeded to pass 6-3-0:
"Renaming Car Rental Programs/Partners & adding forum"

Voting Yes: bdschobel, CMK10, dchristiva, jason8612, kokonutz, nsx
Voting No: Canarsie, MSPeconomist, rwoman
Old May 7, 2015, 11:11 am

I may be in the minority, but I still am confused about what posts will be made in the new forum.

Are we moving all existing discussions from Destinations and creating mega threads in the new forum? Or will destination specific "ride sharing" posts still remain in the Destination forums?

Is this new forum for just general ride share discussion? If so, I think it's going to look very similar to Travel News. From what I can tell, there is not too much general discussion about ride sharing programs. Everything is specifically tailored to a certain local market, and therefore discussed in the Destinations forum.

I have a fear that this new forum is going to look like the Budget Middle East and African Airlines forum.
Old May 8, 2015, 5:23 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by scottpenderson
Are we moving all existing discussions from Destinations and creating mega threads in the new forum? Or will destination specific "ride sharing" posts still remain in the Destination forums?
I hope location-specific discussions still only happen in destination forums. If needed/wanted, any poster could create a "Master Thread" of sorts in the new forum that would contain links to location-specific threads in the destination forums.
Old May 8, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lo2e
I hope location-specific discussions still only happen in destination forums. If needed/wanted, any poster could create a "Master Thread" of sorts in the new forum that would contain links to location-specific threads in the destination forums.
I do hope so too, but the fact that this wasn't specified in the motion was one of my concerns in voting no.
Old May 11, 2015, 2:51 pm
Community Director Emerita

The new forum can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ride-...uber-lyft-747/

Description is lacking. My ears are open.
Old May 11, 2015, 5:50 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K

What did TB recommend as description? That normally goes along with forum creation. Or did that fall onto the punting over to you, let the CD figure it out we've seen lately?

Cheers.
Old May 11, 2015, 5:55 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K

Speaking only for myself, I don't think the title requires any elaboration. Plenty of FT's forums lack a description line for this reason.

I suppose the motion could have stated explicitly that we prefer no description line, but I thought omitting mention of the description made that statement for TB. I don't know what the other Yes voters think about that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.