Reload this Page >

Organization of Airline Programs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Organization of Airline Programs

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:48 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bollyfan
ok PVDtoDEL. You are posting a lot more than me, so obviously your opinion is having more importance.

Maybe I am jumping too far ahead (there is some such phrase in English, for
ज़्यादा गुस्सा).

The point is that these people should be respecting our opinion and not just doing their own thing. I am not seeing anybody supporting this name change except for that mean lo2e. So then why is it happening?

Regards,
Radhika
Post count doesn't mean much - it just means that I have wasted more time on the computer in front of FT than you have

ज़्यादा गुस्सा would be translated by me as "overreacting," and yes, I think you are overreacting. I liked the old name quite a bit, and I really hope they change it, but I don't think it is necessary to get riled up the way you are.

Cheers,
Rohit
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
It would be nice if they changed it but realistically I don't think it would happen as to FT the overall symmetry is more important. I can see where they are coming from so I guess its not likely to change.

However we should respect that everyone has their opinion and this is the right forum to express it. Which is what everyone has done politely.

Radhika don't worry about some people on FT. They normally get this way once they have a badge below their name. Gives them some sort of FT superpower which us without tags don't have. Best to ignore them.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:03 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lallyr
It would be nice if they changed it but realistically I don't think it would happen as to FT the overall symmetry is more important. I can see where they are coming from so I guess its not likely to change.
I don't know about that - I can't think of a reason why TB/Carol/anyone else would have a problem with naming the forums Airlines of ____ instead of ____-based Airlines, assuming that they are all symmetrical and organized. Perhaps they naturally prefer the latter option, but we, the actual posters on the forum, clearly prefer the name AoI better...
Old Apr 22, 2012, 2:43 pm
Ambassador, New England
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by lallyr
Radhika don't worry about some people on FT. They normally get this way once they have a badge below their name. Gives them some sort of FT superpower which us without tags don't have. Best to ignore them.
Perhaps you're unaware what "Ambassador" on FlyerTalk means. I don't have any "superpower", I'm merely someone that has volunteered to help with the upkeep of one forum (in my case, the New England forum). I can't edit anyone's posts (that's for a moderator), I have no control over what the Talkboard does, I am merely a member that cares about all of FT in general, and specializes in one forum in particular. If you want to become an ambassador yourself, all you have to do is ask the Community Director to become one. All I did was ask to be of help to the community. No need to pass an exam or be anything but a member who cares.

In this, the Talkboard forum, I am merely a member representing my own opinion(s). You can feel free to respectfully agree or disagree with my opinions, as I have respectfully agreed or disagreed with all of the ones stated here. Not once have I said that anyone didn't have the right to express their opinion on the name of the forum, I just simply don't agree, based on my admittedly rather outside-looking-in view since I'm not a regular there. Ultimately it is not my decision nor yours to decide the name, it is up to the moderators, TalkBoard, and Community Director. I trust their judgment, and IMHO in the almost 11 years of time I have spent here on FlyerTalk, very few decisions have been made without careful thought and consideration for the betterment of FlyerTalk on the whole. Do I agree with every decision? Of course not. But I trust that the ones making them are at least trying to do the right thing in the global picture with the decision.

That said, I'm bowing out of the conversation so that those who do have the power to make such decisions can look through and decide what (if anything) to do. IMO we're all beating a dead horse on either side at this point. If I ruffled a few feathers by stating my opinion, then my apologies. But I stand behind my position and opinions as I'm sure you stand behind yours.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by lo2e
Not once have I said that anyone didn't have the right to express their opinion on the name of the forum, I just simply don't agree, based on my admittedly rather outside-looking-in view since I'm not a regular there. Ultimately it is not my decision nor yours to decide the name, it is up to the moderators, TalkBoard, and Community Director.
Perhaps however that is why some feathers appear to have been ruffled.

I am much more of a lurker than a poster in AoI, but over the years have learned a lot of information there and hopefully have also been able to share some information as well with others through my admittedly infrequent posts. I have also engaged in PMs with people along the way about a variety of topics, and feel part of the community even if I am not always a regular poster there.

My question to you was because you seemed to have a definite opinion on the subject, but I didn't have the sense that you really understood the nature of that particular forum.

I value the fact that FT even has a Talkboard, and that one can give input to Talkboard. The geographic fora were recently reordered, and our feedback was solicited for that change. I truly believe that we were heard, and our feedback was considered, and changes were made. Now some are asking for additional changes, and I believe that they too are being heard, even if it may not ultimately result in the change they desire.

Your intial question was certainly valid, but I also believe that the passion demostrated by several of the forum regulars was also valid, and perhaps an attempt to support the original name for the forum and why they wish for a return to that name.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 7:25 pm

You can feel free to respectfully agree or disagree with my opinions, as I have respectfully agreed or disagreed with all of the ones stated here.
I beg to disagree:

<sarcasm>

Oh, I see... standardization for the sake of organization is WAY worse than non-standardization for the sake of... an easy acronym?

</sarcasm>

Does that sound like respectfully stating your opinion? To be honest, it is probably the rudest reply I have ever seen on the TB forums, usually one where courteous, free discourse is always encouraged (unless it involves mods of course ).

I trust their judgment, and IMHO in the almost 11 years of time I have spent here on FlyerTalk, very few decisions have been made without careful thought and consideration for the betterment of FlyerTalk on the whole.
I agree. The CD, the TalkBoard, the mods, they all work very hard to improve FlyerTalk, for the betterment of the user experience.

Normally, when decisions are made about forum name changes, there is weeks and weeks of discussion beforehand, allowing for the best decision to be made with the input from TB members, the CD, Mods, and the users. In this case, I guess CD felt that this decision would be uncontroversial, just going ahead with the change without taking user input.

When it turned out that this was a controversial decision, we came here to this forum to voice our opinion. That's one of the great things about FlyerTalk - we can freely discuss an issue like this, which isn't possible on most boards.

While I'm not quite sure what the chances are of having it changed back, I hope that the CD, Talkboard, and all other relevant parties do give changing it back a chance.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 9:43 pm

Airlines of India was a much better name in my opinion.. ^
Old Apr 23, 2012, 2:10 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
I request that the TalkBoard changes it back.

P.S (what exactly is the TalkBoard)
I don't know what this TalkBoard is...
It's all in this 3-post sticky thread with details:

What is the TalkBoard and How are New Forums and Other Suggestions Considered?

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Normally, when decisions are made about forum name changes, there is weeks and weeks of discussion beforehand
That's not accurate. See the following recent examples:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...-vs-forum.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...t-program.html

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
... We could begin with the locale as has been done in the Hawaii example: India based airlines; Russia based airlines.
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Airlines of India has been renamed India based airlines.

The new Russia and CIS based airlines also follows this format
We like it as AoI, and TalkBoard should change it back. If Moderator has power, then he should change it back. Leaving it like this I am not liking at all.
- I can't think of a reason why TB/Carol/anyone else would have a problem with naming the forums Airlines of ____ instead of ____-based Airlines, assuming that they are all symmetrical and organized. Perhaps they naturally prefer the latter option, but we, the actual posters on the forum, clearly prefer the name AoI better...
If I am not mistaken, our Community Director made the change on April 4th, 2012 and has final say in this matter, not TalkBoard.

Maybe for those who feel so strongly about the new name for India-based Airlines Forum should communicate directly with Carol, our Community Director, and see if she would reconsider her way of standardizing location- and/or country-based fora?

BTW, I am truly baffled. Can the AoI camp explain to this "outsider" the differences between "Airlines of India Forum" and "India-based Airlines Forum", other than AoI can't be the acronym no more? And yes, per the alphabetical arrangement of Airline Programs on FT, India-based Airlines Forum is no longer the 4th forum from the top.

I do get the sense of community part in AoI but what exactly are changing other than a different name? It's not like we are calling this orange an apple from now on. Are the forum frequenters of AoI going to change the way they participate India-based Airlines Forum because of the name change? The AoI regulars do find and still frequent India-based Airlines, right? It's not like the airlines of India themselves had changed, unlike the recent merge of UA/CO where two groups of elites are forced to settle in the new United Mileage Plus (Consolidated) Forum under new FFP terms.

I don't have the answer but is India-based Airlines Forum any different since April 4th , 2012?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by lin821
Fair point.

If I am not mistaken, our Community Director made the change on April 4th, 2012 and has final say in this matter, not TalkBoard.
Indeed, the CD has the final say in every matter. I think that if TB recommended that the name be changed back, she would probably be fine with it though. I have written to her to better understand her position on this issue
BTW, I am truly baffled. Can the AoI camp explain to this "outsider" the differences between "Airlines of India Forum" and "India-based Airlines Forum", other than AoI can't be the acronym no more? And yes, per the alphabetical arrangement of Airline Programs on FT, India-based Airlines Forum is no longer the 4th forum from the top.

I do get the sense of community part in AoI but what exactly are changing other than a different name? It's not like we are calling this orange an apple from now on. Are the forum frequenters of AoI going to change the way they participate India-based Airlines Forum because of the name change? The AoI regulars do find and still frequent India-based Airlines, right? It's not like the airlines of India themselves had changed, unlike the recent merge of UA/CO where two groups of elites are forced to settle in the new United Mileage Plus (Consolidated) Forum under new FFP terms.

I don't have the answer but is India-based Airlines Forum any different since April 4th , 2012?
Airlines of India is a name that has grown on the members of our forum over the years. It's a fitting name that stands for the content, the community, the people of our forum. Many of us have grown an attachment to the name.

India-based airlines just doesn't have the same ring to it.

It's just subjective preference I guess - but the point is that many members from our community like the name AoI better.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
It's just subjective preference I guess - but the point is that many members from our community like the name AoI better.
This is entirely our point. If it doesn't bother you which way it shows then let the people who frequent it have their say.

Its a discussion. Basically we liked it the old way (who frequent the forum) the ones who rarely even have any input it in like it the new way.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 9:22 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Just as a heads-up, folks, we are currently discussing this issue in the private TalkBoard forum.

These changes were made without our input which is certainly within FT protocol. We are an advisory board who the Community Director can use or s/he can make decisions without our input.

So depending on how the TB members feel about the issue and/or if the Community Director goes along with the majority opinion will decide how this ultimately concludes.

Like others have said earlier in this thread, I too believe that the forum regulars should have direct input into how their forums are named or renamed.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:53 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Here is part of what I just posted in the private TB forum:

I will say that this is an abject lesson in how even little changes can upset your customers/constituency. Allowing folks to at least have input allows better acceptance of change even if one doesn't necessarily like it. Not a sermon, just a thought.

Too bad Smisek hadn't already learned this lesson.

My general feeling is that there should be consistency in format. But posters ought to have some input into the preferred, consistently applied format for naming forums based on countries/regions.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by AJLondon
As Mrs Slocombe* would say, I am quite unanimous in my indifference to the name of the forum. The content is what floats my boat.
I doubt Mrs. Slocombe would be referring to content. I'm sure, however, we'd hear about her pussy.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 9:39 pm

Thanks to the TB members who shared updates; I appreciate that this is being discussed, even if the outcome doesn't ultimately differ from what it is now. (But still hoping that the quirky forum will retain it's quirky name in the end )
Old Apr 23, 2012, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, as Cholula notes, I did start a thread in the TB forum. And, FWIW, I've put forward the suggestion that it should either be 1) changed so that the 3 fora in question (Hawaii, Russia area, and Indian) get renamed to "Airlines of xxxx" or 2) that they be moved towards the bottom near the "Other xxxx" forums.

I agree that the Airlines of xxx is a more logical name - but not for the "feeling' behind it, but more so for the practicality of it.

I think that these "lumped" airline fora should be placed together - as a newbie wouldn't know where to go to find India-based airlines or Russian-based airlines on their own.

I think that the Hawaii-based airlines made sense as that forum was right next to the Hawaiian Airlines forum - so logically located for those seeing info. For India & Russia though, the new format is actually, IMHO, the least logical way of grouping. No new FT'er that doesn't know that the India/Russia forums exist will easily find or stumble upon these 2 fora.

IMHO, it should be changed back to how it was previously as the first preference. Second preference is to turn them all to "Airlines of xxx". And the current set-up isn't even really a preference, IMHO, as I really don't believe it to be a logicial once. Sometimes consistency actually doesn't make sense for the user experience, IMHO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.