Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Organization of Airline Programs

Organization of Airline Programs

 
Old Mar 28, 12, 11:41 am
  #1  
Ambassador, New England
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Maineiac, USA
Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Posts: 2,554
Organization of Airline Programs

I was poking around in "Airline Programs" today and noticed something that looked a bit strange to me, and perhaps to others....

In addition to the myriad airline-specific forums, there are also "Airlines of India", "Hawaii-Based Airlines", and the "Other x FFP"s. Is there a reason(s) why:
  • "Airlines of India" is not called "India-Based Airlines" to match Hawaii?
  • "Hawaii-Based Airlines" is not called "Airlines of Hawaii" to match India?
  • Why those two are not down toward the bottom of the page where the other location-specific forums are?
lo2e is offline  
Old Mar 29, 12, 1:02 pm
  #2  
Community Director
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 29,633
You raise an interesting point, a timely one as Talkboard is considering Airlines of Russia. We could begin with the locale as has been done in the Hawaii example: India based airlines; Russia based airlines.
SanDiego1K is offline  
Old Apr 4, 12, 1:32 am
  #3  
Community Director
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 29,633
Airlines of India has been renamed India based airlines.

The new Russia and CIS based airlines also follows this format, thanks to your comment:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/russi...-airlines-703/
SanDiego1K is offline  
Old Apr 4, 12, 4:09 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SEA
Programs: AS 75K, TK ELPL (*G), BA Gold (OWE), Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Posts: 7,370
I have an objection. As an Airlines of India regular, I strongly prefer the AoI name to "India Based Airlines."

Perhaps we should have an "Airlines of Hawaii" forum and an "Airlines of Russia and the CIS" forum.
PVDtoDEL is offline  
Old Apr 4, 12, 6:31 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Home
Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Posts: 7,636
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL View Post
I have an objection. As an Airlines of India regular, I strongly prefer the AoI name to "India Based Airlines."

Perhaps we should have an "Airlines of Hawaii" forum and an "Airlines of Russia and the CIS" forum.
But if I am not mistaken, "Hawaii", unlike India or Russia, is not a country by itself.
lin821 is offline  
Old Apr 4, 12, 8:23 am
  #6  
Ambassador, New England
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Maineiac, USA
Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Posts: 2,554
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL View Post
I have an objection. As an Airlines of India regular, I strongly prefer the AoI name to "India Based Airlines."

Perhaps we should have an "Airlines of Hawaii" forum and an "Airlines of Russia and the CIS" forum.
Sorry for my ignorance, but other than the words "of" and "based", what's the difference?
lo2e is offline  
Old Apr 4, 12, 11:18 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SEA
Programs: AS 75K, TK ELPL (*G), BA Gold (OWE), Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Posts: 7,370
Originally Posted by lo2e View Post
Sorry for my ignorance, but other than the words "of" and "based", what's the difference?
The forum just moved from the top of the list to in the middle. Forum regulars are used to just opening up FT and clicking the link. Now we have to go digging through forums about random, unimportant () airlines like Iberia and JAL. That's the selfish reason.

Then, the fact that we're very used to calling it the AoI forum. IBA doesn't quite have the same ring, ya know?

I can dig up plenty of other reasons. Many are shallow, but all are valid - after all, the purpose of TB is to improve the user experience for the members. We, the regulars of the AoI forum, are requesting that the forum's name not be changed. I trust that this will be taken into account
PVDtoDEL is offline  
Old Apr 4, 12, 11:20 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SEA
Programs: AS 75K, TK ELPL (*G), BA Gold (OWE), Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Posts: 7,370
Originally Posted by lin821 View Post
But if I am not mistaken, "Hawaii", unlike India or Russia, is not a country by itself.
Hawaii is not a country. I am entirely unsure why this is relevant. After all, right now there is an India based airlines forum, and a Hawaii-based Airlines forum (note capitalization and punctuation).

Unlike India, Hawaii is not a country by itself. That has absolutely no effect on the titling of forums.
PVDtoDEL is offline  
Old Apr 4, 12, 12:27 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Home
Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Posts: 7,636
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL View Post
Hawaii is not a country. I am entirely unsure why this is relevant. After all, right now there is an India based airlines forum, and a Hawaii-based Airlines forum (note capitalization and punctuation).

Unlike India, Hawaii is not a country by itself. That has absolutely no effect on the titling of forums.
Maybe I got it wrong but I believe both the Russia and India based airline fora are taking the ""country-specific" approach. That's the relevance I see in the new titles. In your suggestion of a "Airlines of Hawaii" would have been inconsistent with that idea and logic.

Maybe our Community Director can chime in and tell us how and why she chose the wording/rewording of these country-based fora.
lin821 is offline  
Old Apr 4, 12, 1:12 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SEA
Programs: AS 75K, TK ELPL (*G), BA Gold (OWE), Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Posts: 7,370
Originally Posted by lin821 View Post
Maybe I got it wrong but I believe both the Russia and India based airline fora are taking the ""country-specific" approach. That's the relevance I see in the new titles. In your suggestion of a "Airlines of Hawaii" would have been inconsistent with that idea and logic.

Maybe our Community Director can chime in and tell us how and why she chose the wording/rewording of these country-based fora.
I just don't get what you mean.

There is currently a forum titled "Hawaii-based Airlines"
I fail to understand what the difference between that and "Airlines of Hawaii" is, other than the fact that it would allow consistency and still allow AoI forum regulars to keep our beloved name.
PVDtoDEL is offline  
Old Apr 8, 12, 12:31 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,816
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL View Post
...still allow AoI forum regulars to keep our beloved name.
I have to agree. The syntax of 'AoI' somehow to me was a reflection of that forum and content. It has to my mind a special ring to it, just as that board has always been a little 'unique' and its own little world here on FT. (Or that could just be my fondness for the country itself and for the forum speaking!)
exbayern is offline  
Old Apr 18, 12, 3:51 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,695
Originally Posted by exbayern View Post
I have to agree. The syntax of 'AoI' somehow to me was a reflection of that forum and content. It has to my mind a special ring to it, just as that board has always been a little 'unique' and its own little world here on FT. (Or that could just be my fondness for the country itself and for the forum speaking!)
I support Airlines of India instead of India-based airlines. As previously hightlighted, Hawaii is not a separate country unlike India or Russia.
zoonil is offline  
Old Apr 19, 12, 2:44 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Fairmont Platinum
Posts: 11,347
Originally Posted by zoonil View Post
I support Airlines of India instead of India-based airlines. As previously hightlighted, Hawaii is not a separate country unlike India or Russia.
+1 on this too. It was much better when it was Airlines of India.
onlysuites is offline  
Old Apr 19, 12, 6:36 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: HYD/CHI
Posts: 790
Originally Posted by zoonil View Post
I support Airlines of India instead of India-based airlines. As previously hightlighted, Hawaii is not a separate country unlike India or Russia.
Originally Posted by lallyr View Post
+1 on this too. It was much better when it was Airlines of India.
I too vote for Airlines of India.
hyderago is offline  
Old Apr 19, 12, 9:48 am
  #15  
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Asia
Programs: Yes!
Posts: 15,458
As Mrs Slocombe* would say, I am quite unanimous in my indifference to the name of the forum. The content is what floats my boat.





*Ref: "Are You Being Served?".
AJLondon is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread