Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit-Card-Question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2008, 2:45 am

Programs: LH SEN only nowadays, AF & AY basic. Radisson Blu fan :-)
EURO Cards

Does anybody know of a Euro-Currency Credit Card for swiss residents that lets you earn M&M miles? All companies I looked at so far either exclude €-cards from any promotions or don't offer them at all.

I need to expense in €, so a CHF-Card somehow doesn't make much sense. And getting a card with no benefits at all is just not appealing

Thanks!
Old Aug 18, 2008, 4:31 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
The only idea I had but I'm no expert is to get an account at a German Sparkasse which participates in the Miles&More program and issue miles earining credit-cards. I looked at the website of the Sparkasse Lörrach (across the Rhine from Basel) which has special deals for Swiss customers but they don't participate in Miles&More.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 4:58 am

Programs: LH SEN-2013, PC Platinum, HH Silver, MR
I am ZRH-based, have a bank account with a German bank and a LH Miles & More credit card (fee waived for SEN). Works like a charm. If Sparkasse Lörrach works for you, you may just open an account there, order the LH M&M credit card and arrange for direct debit (Lastschriftverfahren) of the credit card bill.

I'm happy to recommend you! YHPM ...

QMConsultant

Last edited by QMConsultant; Aug 18, 2008 at 6:52 am Reason: addition
Old Aug 18, 2008, 10:37 am
formerly Fly-Swiss

Programs: SQ
you can have a EUR Amex card from Amex in Switzerland. They don't sell it actively on their website, but you can call them and ask for one. Paying the bill every month might be a bit of a hassle as direct debit doesn't work for this one and you need to pay Amex Frankfurt.... at least for now..
Old Oct 4, 2008, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH
Miles & More Milemaker credit cards with the new ValuePack - Silver

From the SWISS M&M Homepage
Take advantage now of Miles & More Milemaker credit cards with the new ValuePack

As a Miles & More Frequent Traveller and holder of a Miles & More Milemaker credit card you can now take advantage of the new ValuePack.

Save: with an annual flight voucher worth CHF 180.
Enjoy: access to SWISS Lounges. You can obtain up to 5 lounge vouchers annually at a price of CHF 35 each, which grants you admission to SWISS Business Class Lounges.
Experience: great destinations with SWISS. You receive attractive flight offers at special fares.
And of course: earn valuable miles for each purchase*.
Take advantage of ValuePack and order your Miles & More Milemaker credit card today. By doing so, you pay only half of the annual fee in the first year.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 6:29 am

discount on m&m amex plat?

I cancelled my m&m amex plat card after 1 year and spending about 20kchf on it. swisscard now offered me a reduced annual rate of 500chf - has anyone been able to negotiate a better deal? thanks.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 7:11 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
500 CHF is no special deal, everybody gets the card for this price in the first year, see offer here: Link

I think it used to be 400 CHF in the first year, but I guess they had to raise the price because of the new "ValuePack" (Link) including a 300 CHF flight voucher you get with it.

The rate people (including myself) would usually get offered after cancelling was CHF 350 (50%) off - you might want to call them and ask if you are in fact interested in using the card again.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 3:27 pm

any update on good cc deals?

We just moved to Switzerland, are SEN, and need to get a CHF credit card. Any updates on the best cc to get, and any current promotions?

Based on M&M website, the MileMaker Gold bundled Amex & Mastercard option may be a good, except for the 2.5% forex fee (although others have pointed out here that the net difference is not big when compared to the with Corner Card, which I'm not familiar with.)

Last edited by sfvoyage; Jan 19, 2009 at 3:49 pm
Old Jan 19, 2009, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Fly-Swiss
you can have a EUR Amex card from Amex in Switzerland. They don't sell it actively on their website, but you can call them and ask for one. Paying the bill every month might be a bit of a hassle as direct debit doesn't work for this one and you need to pay Amex Frankfurt.... at least for now..
Is this still the case? Any other option for getting a EUR cc in Switzerland with direct debit, online access, and other usual & useful features?
Old Jan 20, 2009, 5:07 am

Programs: SQ PPS Solitaire - BA GGL - AF Plat - LH Senator - EK Gold
being Senator you can get the Corner Bank Miles and More Visa/Mastercard Gold for free

I have successfully applied for the Milemaker Amex/Visa AND the Corner Bank Miles and More MasterCard for free being Senator. Personally I prefer the Corner Bank cc since you have a online access and it's much easier to handle with.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 7:01 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by bchl
I have successfully applied for the Milemaker Amex/Visa AND the Corner Bank Miles and More MasterCard for free being Senator. Personally I prefer the Corner Bank cc since you have a online access and it's much easier to handle with.
Same here, and I agree. I use the Amex (higher $/miles ratio) for charges in CHF, and the Corner Bank card for everything else. I don't think theres a mileage earning CC in EUR out there, only a neutral one from Swisscard. But why would you need one anyway?
Old Jan 20, 2009, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by airoli
I use the Amex (higher $/miles ratio) for charges in CHF, and the Corner Bank card for everything else. I don't think theres a mileage earning CC in EUR out there, only a neutral one from Swisscard. But why would you need one anyway?
I guess I really don't. I thought, for travels around Europe, it'd be nice to have a EUR cc to avoid the forex fee. But if I only lose 1-2%, it'd be better to use the Corner Bank card and get some miles out of it. (Not to mention, if I were to get a EUR cc, I'd need a EUR bank account to settle the EUR cc bill.)
Old Jan 21, 2009, 1:47 am

Programs: LH/LX
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
I guess I really don't. I thought, for travels around Europe, it'd be nice to have a EUR cc to avoid the forex fee. But if I only lose 1-2%, it'd be better to use the Corner Bank card and get some miles out of it. (Not to mention, if I were to get a EUR cc, I'd need a EUR bank account to settle the EUR cc bill.)
But in different countries they are sometimes playing the "we charge you directly in CHF" game. With a very bad conversion rate
Old Jan 21, 2009, 3:36 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Hennessy
But in different countries they are sometimes playing the "we charge you directly in CHF" game. With a very bad conversion rate
They certainly try, but you have the rigth to be charged in local currency, don't accept any excuses. They may only offer you a choice between local and "home" currency.

That's part of the agreement between the merchant and the credit card companies. Notify your card issuer if a merchant is telling you otherwise.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 1:07 am

I hope I won't be considered digging out this thread from the death - but I couldn't find another one about Swiss Credit Cards.

Anyway, Coop is now offering 20 CHF when getting their SuperCard Plus till the end of December. Must be a new customer.

* Dieses Angebot gilt bis 31.12.09 und nur für neu ausgestellte Hauptkarten (max. 1 Gutschrift à CHF 20.- pro Neukarteninhaber). Die Gutschrift der CHF 20.– erfolgt ca. 4 Wochen nach Erhalt der Gratis-Kreditkarte. Das Angebot gilt nicht für bestehende Kunden einer SUPERCARDplus.

I think it's also new that they offer both, Mastercard and Visa (Think before it was only Mastercard) for their free of cost Creditcards.

20 CHF doesn't sound like much but free is always good

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.