Wiki Posts
Search

Credit-Card-Question

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2008, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH
Thumbs up Diners Club

Did it as you told me and applied for the card. I have no miles in BA (yet), but it is really an exelent deal. 250 CHF and you get a free flight.
Old May 27, 2008, 10:07 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
I have to say I am shocked at how credit suisse treat their customers compared to the real american express people in Brighton.

Earlier on today, a family member called Swisscard to complain about the fact that his Swiss Amex Plat is rejected in 75% of the places he tries to purchase something at in Switzerland or France. Additionally, he tried to put in a complaint about a merchant passing on the 3% CC transaction fee to the customer (is this allowed in CH? It isn't with Amex in North America).

His main gripe was that for 480CHF more than the gold visa, there was not much opportunity to get extra miles seeing that the card wasn't accepted in many places.

In both cases, the agents were rude and one even told him to just cancel the card. The types of responses, tonality and wording which they used would certainly not be tolerated if it were an Amex run call center.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? Also what happens once you cancel your card in regards to the yearly fee? Is this refunded at all in regards to how many months were used since your renewal?
Old May 27, 2008, 11:25 am
formerly Fly-Swiss

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by GVA
I have to say I am shocked at how credit suisse treat their customers compared to the real american express people in Brighton.

Earlier on today, a family member called Swisscard to complain about the fact that his Swiss Amex Plat is rejected in 75% of the places he tries to purchase something at in Switzerland or France. Additionally, he tried to put in a complaint about a merchant passing on the 3% CC transaction fee to the customer (is this allowed in CH? It isn't with Amex in North America).

His main gripe was that for 480CHF more than the gold visa, there was not much opportunity to get extra miles seeing that the card wasn't accepted in many places.

In both cases, the agents were rude and one even told him to just cancel the card. The types of responses, tonality and wording which they used would certainly not be tolerated if it were an Amex run call center.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? Also what happens once you cancel your card in regards to the yearly fee? Is this refunded at all in regards to how many months were used since your renewal?
It's true that Swisscard people are rude and don't know anything about client services. However, Amex cards are accepted almost everywhere. I use it on a daily basis without any problems. Maybe the magnetic strip doesn't work you should get it replaced.
Old May 27, 2008, 12:16 pm

Programs: LH SEN-2013, PC Platinum, HH Silver, MR
I can chime in here - my AMEX card has never been rejected so far, works like a charm! I would ask for a replacement, it may be a technical problem with your card.

QMConsultant
Old May 27, 2008, 12:52 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by QMConsultant
I can chime in here - my AMEX card has never been rejected so far, works like a charm! I would ask for a replacement, it may be a technical problem with your card.

QMConsultant
I don't think we are talking about technical problems here (or are we?), but about the fact that in a lot of places in Switzerland, Amex simply is not accepted. Take Migros for example and a lot of "real" and online retailers as well.
Old May 27, 2008, 1:49 pm
formerly Fly-Swiss

Originally Posted by goliath
I don't think we are talking about technical problems here (or are we?), but about the fact that in a lot of places in Switzerland, Amex simply is not accepted. Take Migros for example and a lot of "real" and online retailers as well.
Month on month, I think I have about 10% of my spendings that have to go on the visa because amex is not accepted. I know it's not ideal but still ok.
Old May 27, 2008, 3:07 pm

Programs: LH SEN-2013, PC Platinum, HH Silver, MR
Originally Posted by Fly-Swiss
Month on month, I think I have about 10% of my spendings that have to go on the visa because amex is not accepted. I know it's not ideal but still ok.
Well, but don't you know *before* applying for AMEX that the CC might not be as well accepted as e.g. Mastercard or Visa? For this reason, one does have more than one kind of CC ...
Old May 27, 2008, 3:27 pm
formerly Fly-Swiss

Originally Posted by QMConsultant
Well, but don't you know *before* applying for AMEX that the CC might not be as well accepted as e.g. Mastercard or Visa? For this reason, one does have more than one kind of CC ...
Yes I did know before but you get also more miles with the amex. Whether you take the amex platinum (CHF 700) or gold (CHF 300), there is a visa that comes with it. On the acceptance side, there is nothing Swisscard can do. This is between American Express and the Swiss retailers who will complain forever about the tax they pay on amex purchases.... shortsighted view if you ask me.
Old May 28, 2008, 2:46 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
I think Amex and Swisscard know that AX acceptance in Switzerland is not great, and therefore they ususally bundle the AX with an MC or VI (as in the "milemakers") to make sure that you always have a fall-back option. Just yesterday night I ate at a nice restaurant in Switzerland that refused my Amex, but happily took my MC. Second time this week.

Migros and Coop in certain places (where they expect a lot of foreigners, such as stations and airports) now accept AX, but in other branches they don't.
Old May 28, 2008, 3:26 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by airoli
Migros and Coop in certain places (where they expect a lot of foreigners, such as stations and airports) now accept AX, but in other branches they don't.
In my experience, Coop fully accepts Amex, every Coop retail location I've been to so far has accepted Amex. I always use Amex at Coop to "double-dip" on miles (miles + Superpoints) .

But with Migros, as you say, there are very few locations (like ZRH airport, ZH Shopville).
Old May 28, 2008, 6:53 am

Programs: LH M&M
Corner Card: 15000 miles to be won

Just got this in the e-mail

http://www.cornercard.ch/ch/html/de/..._jubi_old.html

Good luck
Old May 29, 2008, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up BA Diners Card

Originally Posted by bchl
or you get the BA Diners Card
I just got the Card, after less than one week. I am impressed.
BTW, it does not tell me the limit I have ...
Old May 30, 2008, 2:03 am

Programs: SQ PPS Solitaire - BA GGL - AF Plat - LH Senator - EK Gold
Originally Posted by chumbawumba
I just got the Card, after less than one week. I am impressed.
BTW, it does not tell me the limit I have ...
you DON'T have a limit with a Diners Card since it's a charge card So by end of each accounting period you will have to pay off everything.

BUT you can't just go out and spend 100'000 CHF once since the system will block you immediately. For bigger expenditure (like buying an expensive Swiss watch or even a car), you should call the customer service first and pre-inform them that you are going to charge a lot to the card
Old May 30, 2008, 2:18 am
formerly Fly-Swiss

Originally Posted by goliath
In my experience, Coop fully accepts Amex, every Coop retail location I've been to so far has accepted Amex. I always use Amex at Coop to "double-dip" on miles (miles + Superpoints) .

But with Migros, as you say, there are very few locations (like ZRH airport, ZH Shopville).
Generally the biggest Migros accept it. Coop has a specific agreement with Amex. Although they don't take visa in the smallest shops they do accept Amex and MC (since their own card is a MC).
Old May 30, 2008, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Talking Phone number on Diners Club

At the rear, it says: +41 1 835 44 44 as the phone number - on a new card.
BTW, how can I book the enhanced insurance package?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.