Search

Locked in transit zone at ZHR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, Delta, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Often1
In this instance, it appears that:

1. The passengers arrived at ZRH roughly on schedule.
2. The onward flight to DMW was roughly on schedule.
I know You very knowledgable but You are mistaken here. Both statements are incorrect.
Language was not an issue since there was NO ONE to talk to. That was the problem.
Swiss rep admitted to me that Passport control could care less. Certainly they could have called someone to assist but chose not to. Everyone rushed to go home or to hotel. It was 10 pm.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:06 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by ellylex
I will make sure Swiss punishes them for staying in transit zone... (I do not know at this point how to reply to Your comment).
?
A person living in Zurich and knowing the airport does not mean that he knows what has occurred there that night.
But we do know the catches of connection travel and try to assess the situation as good as the given information allows us to.
I was not there - I do not know. I relied on the information given to me by passengers and by staff on the ground. Information is contradictory. Yet, regardless, I had an absolutely different question here - I did not ask for judgement or investigation. I asked a question and received trolling from many.
If repliers wanted to assist - they woudl have guided me how to find out the reason for delay. No one did. Suddently that is irrelevant to helpers here. Anyway, thanks for the input - I will proceed myself, relying not on imagination and nonsense but on facts.
The delay of the ZRH-LHR flight was due weather in LHR and ZRH, as well as heavy traffic at both airports (mainly LHR as the inbound flight arrived only 30 min late)
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:10 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I know You very knowledgable but You are mistaken here. Both statements are incorrect.
Language was not an issue since there was NO ONE to talk to. That was the problem.
Swiss rep admitted to me that Passport control could care less. Certainly they could have called someone to assist but chose not to. Everyone rushed to go home or to hotel. It was 10 pm.
Customs are open until 11 pm. (Maybe they were closed earlier in D, but would still be open in E, infront of the train I mean)
But once they close they are closed. switzerland is pretty dead after 11pm and after 12am the trains stop running.
I mean at 1 am in the villages the street lights go out.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
... Nonetheless, they still could have made their connection, but apparently did not for reasons which we do not know (although one might presume a language barrier here which led to a failure both at passport control and then when OP called in and was told that it was the passengers' fault).
NO, they could not have made connection! I keep repeating the same info over and over.

Phew, I was simply venting out and was frustrated by behavior of phone rep from South Africa - he made it up, trying to brush me off and blaming passengers. I knew everyone would pick this up and start trolling. It was awful customer service - that is what I complained here. It was sarcasm about passengers fault.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:16 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I apologize but I must have missed the answer to my question.

I do not know what everyone found confusing here. The fact that flight was delayed to Zurich and passengers missed flight to Moscow. The fact that they were instructed to go to transfer desk during the flight but could not reach it since it was in another terminal requiring Shengen visa? The fact that they were stuck in transit zone for 15 hours not being able to go to transit hotel because it was full? The fact that there was NO ONE (thank You for correcting me) from SWISS there to assist?

If all of that was confusing to readers yet they made conclusions and replied here, BUT did not answer MY question.
The flight was delayed yes, but the connection could still have been made. (pax fault)

The Transfer Desks are in the non shengen area in Dock D as well as in Dock E and can be reached without passport control. (pax fault)

Yes, it is normal that nobody is available at ZRH airport in the night. So after they missed the flight and failed to go to the transfer desk in time there was nothing that could have been done anymore.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nick Art
Customs are open until 11 pm. (Maybe they were closed earlier in D, but would still be open in E, infront of the train I mean)
That is precisely what I am curious to understand. Was there a transfer desk in D or actually was there someone there?
Since reps knew that there is Passport control between terminals and understand that some passengers may not have Shengen visa - that is failure on behalf of Swiss.

One supersvisor gave me strange information in my opinion, he stated there is a way to passby Customs by using train. But it doesn't make sense - it is illogical. If one can bypass Customs or Passport Control (doesn't matter how to call them), then "security" is a joke. Unless, we spoke about 2 different controls indeed.

The only thing I know that passengers followed instructions and followed signs to Transfer Desk. I did ask them how did they know where to go. They replied "there were signs". Thus if there is Transfer Desk in D - why did signs lead them to Passport Control to go to Terminal E. It doesn't make sense to me.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

The delay of the ZRH-LHR flight was due weather in LHR and ZRH, as well as heavy traffic at both airports (mainly LHR as the inbound flight arrived only 30 min late)
That is not true! The flight was late by 2 hrs, not 30 minutes!
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:31 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

We’ve come to the point were I drew a god damn map. The red circled area is where your friends arrived. The yellow circled area is the gate they should have went to. The green circled area is the transfer desk and the blue arrows are the path to it.
bawm and YuropFlyer like this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:33 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

That is not true! The flight was late by 2 hrs, not 30 minutes!
The inbound flight means ZRH-LHR so the delay was not caused by the aircraft arriving late in LHR... The aircraft arrived only 30 minutes late in LHR and then the delay happened there in LHR.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

The flight was delayed yes, but the connection could still have been made. (pax fault)
I do not undestand how to react to such comments. At first You state that flight wa slate by 30 minutes, which it not true at all. It was late by 2 hrs.
Also You and others state that passengers could have made the connection which is not true as well.
I would love to see how one can make a connection when one flight arrives at 21.53 , while the other one is scheduled to depart at 21.45.

I have never met anyone who can teleport themselves. I guess all of the commentators here have this gift of teleportation. Lucky people.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

We’ve come to the point were I drew a god damn map. The red circled area is where your friends arrived. The yellow circled area is the gate they should have went to. The green circled area is the transfer desk and the blue arrows are the path to it.
While I understand language difficulties can cause problems, not knowing the correct gate number for your connecting flight is a pretty spectacular blunder.

But I somehow doubt these facts will get in the way of an epically misguided rant
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:37 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I do not undestand how to react to such comments. At first You state that flight wa slate by 30 minutes, which it not true at all. It was late by 2 hrs.
Also You and others state that passengers could have made the connection which is not true as well.
I would love to see how one can make a connection when one flight arrives at 21.53 , while the other one is scheduled to depart at 21.45.

I have never met anyone who can teleport themselves. I guess all of the commentators here have this gift of teleportation. Lucky people.
They arrived at 21:48.
The flight to Moscow was delayed and waited and left at 23:12. Now If my maths are correct this leaves roughly 1 hour and 24 minutes inbetween the two flights.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

The inbound flight means ZRH-LHR so the delay was not caused by the aircraft arriving late in LHR... The aircraft arrived only 30 minutes late in LHR and then the delay happened there in LHR.
I do not understand why we need to discuss the flight that arrived to London? You are trying to show why the flight back to Zurich was late? I do not see relevance of this to the situation.

The only thing that I was able to establish that there were indeed numerous delays the days before. Hundreds of people were stuck. But what happened on May 31 - I can not establish. There were no other passengers in transit zone.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

They arrived at 21:48.
The flight to Moscow was delayed and waited and left at 23:12. Now If my maths are correct this leaves roughly 1 hour and 24 minutes inbetween the two flights.
And?
So I guess You again insist that passengers are total idiots who heard/saw instructions given during the flight to Zurich for them to go to Transfer Desk upon landing? Three people hallucinated and saw Moscow on the list (along with other cities) while in fact the aircraft was waiting for them. Sounds logical. (sarcasm)
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:47 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I do not understand why we need to discuss the flight that arrived to London? You are trying to show why the flight back to Zurich was late? I do not see relevance of this to the situation.

The only thing that I was able to establish that there were indeed numerous delays the days before. Hundreds of people were stuck. But what happened on May 31 - I can not establish. There were no other passengers in transit zone.
I already told you the delay was because if weather.
So your friends could fly from LHR to ZRH the plane first had to fly to LHR. Now a possibility could have been that that flight was late so the return flight was late too (because the plane wasn’t there yet). This was NOT the case and I wanted to let you know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.