Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Locked in transit zone at ZHR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2018, 1:25 am

You gave confusing and partial information...yet treated every attempt to get to the bottom of it with rudeness.... I am unsure of WHAT you were actually seeking TBH Well..your friends got home....so at least THAT worked out.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 1:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ellylex
Thank You for Your investigation and conclusion that passengers absolutely dumb and blind. Your comments are appaulling!

Yet, Swiss admitted to me over the phone that Transfer desk was in Terminal E. I made numerous phonecalls and asked many questions how all of this occurred.

I am not surprised with comments here, yet every time I am hopeful that there would be one person who would reply with an answer to my question. Unfortunately, that did not occur.

The facts are that there was NOONE in Terminal D to assist. The connection was missed because flight was delayed to ZHR. And all of Your speculations how passengers decided to miss connection themselves are absurd, when Swiss isn't denying that.

I am glad that Swiss does have intelligent and decent employees who do not deny the facts contrary to the commentators here.

Thank You again.

PS I am sorry, but it is tiresome and frustrating to rebute nonsense and false conclusions and irrelevant questions.
You have been given very useful information from an initially confusing opening post. You choose to ignore this advice because it is not what you want to hear. Your friends obviously made a mistake because we can see where the relevant flights arrived to and departed from, so unless the Moscow flight departed early, it really isn't the airline's fault. I think part of the problem was your friends went to a transfer desk in E they didn't need to, since the Moscow flight was next door to the inbound LHR.

Finally NOONE is not a word. It is 'no one'.
airoli, bawm, deniah and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
What was the full route/airlines and what passports do they hold?
Guessing UK was an airside transit.
Are the people familiar with travel?
What language do they speak?
Simple questions not answered by the OP
Only LHR-ZHR-DME all on Swiss?
Air Rarotonga likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 2:04 am

Programs: AC*SM, M&M SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Thank You for Your investigation and conclusion that passengers absolutely dumb and blind. Your comments are appaulling!
On the contrary, YuropFlyer's post was thoughtful and factually-based. It's a shame you can't see it for what it is, and hope to learn something from your friends' experience. On the learning note, Zurich's airport code is ZRH and the word you wanted to use for YuropFlyer's comments is "appalling" (although I completely disagree with your assessment). Regardless, the facts he laid out are as they are, having walked the various paths he mentions hundreds of times myself.

bawm
Old Jun 2, 2018, 2:36 am

If the passengers require assistance as it seems in this case, it would be wise to pre-book a transfer service in the future.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 3:33 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
There was an announcement during the flight to ZHR for people transiting to a list of cities to go to Transfer Desk upon arrival. […] Noone has mentioned that it is in Terminal E […]

[…] they found out what happened to other passengers who missed their flight. They were met by SWISS at Transfer Desk in Terminal E and were given hotel accomodations at least.
I see two options here:

a) they were the only ones who missed the announcement to go to the Transfer Desk in Terminal E

or

b) all the other passengers were lucky enough to find out themselves to go to the Transfer Desk in Terminal E.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 6:14 am

So instead of taking our input we've been taking hours to write and trying to give us feedback on what happened on the ground, you've decided to go the "you're all wrong, you don't nothing" way.

Well, enjoy that path.

You'll not get further helpful advise on it, though, at least not from myself.

I think we've gathered enough information here anyway on our own from the little pieces you gave, and since you refuse to actually give a more detailed view of what has happened, there is nothing to add here from my side.
bawm and windchaser777 like this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 8:23 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Thank You for replying.

It is not their fault for missing the connection. Even Swiss did not make such a ridiculous comment except one arrogant customer service agent from South Africa.
But it is... The lack of knowledge, preparation as well as the lack to properly communicate with the staff seem to be the main reason.
The only thing they would have needed to do was enter the airplane right next to them. Since it was one ticket they had received their ticket for ZRH-DME at LHR already. No need to go to the transfer desk at all.

On a legal point of view unless the DME flights boarding was already closed when they arrived (which it was not), Swiss doesn’t owe you anything. So it’s pretty nice of Swiss to have rebooked them on the next flight (free of charge?).

Which while there is one in Dock E there is also one in Dock D. And as stated above going from E to D and in reverse you do not need to go through passport control.

It was one ticket, they were in the UK as You have assumed, they transited thru UK as well.
But they never entered the UK I assume. they just transited through the LHR airside zone. The same would have been possible in ZRH (but not needed as mentioned above).

They followed instructions to go to Transfer Desk given during the flight, but noone told them that it is in different terminal (E) and there is a passport control. Other passengers apparently had Shengen visas and were able to go thru, while my friends - were stopped. There were NO SWISS agents at the terminal D to assist them and passport control agents could care less. Everyone quickly left the Terminal D and airport was "closed".
They wouldn’t have needed to go to the transfer desk. Which while there is one in E there is also one in D. Again: No passport control. Those other passengers went to A/B or left the airport.
Once again this is due to the lack of communication I suppose.

They have spent 15 hours at the airport. You are the only one who thinks otherwise.
I’m just stating that you are not supposed to be in the airport between 23:00 and 05:00. Obviously your friends slept there.

I think yuropflyer pretty much sumed it up perfectly. I agree to everything he said and I think the people here who basically live in Zurich Airport maybe know a thing or two about it.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
My friends who do not speak English were flying today LHR-ZHR-DME on Swiss, but their journey started in LAX the day before on United.
What compensation can they seek at this point?
What a sick world... your friends need help and all YOU think is about compensation

They followed instructions to go to Transfer Desk given during the flight, but noone told them that it is in different terminal (E) and there is a passport control.
How did your freinds understand the instructions given, when they don't speak english? There are transfer desks in Terminal D/E and A. The one in Terminal A is open the mostof the time, the others not.

There were NO SWISS agents at the terminal D to assist them
Yes, that's OK. Swiss outsourced all the ground handling worldwide with handling agents. You won't find any Swiss agent on the ground. In ZRH, Swissport will do the work for LX.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, Delta, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
What a sick world... your friends need help and all YOU think is about compensation
Another brilliant comment from a healthy individual! Bravo!

PS The only sick person here is You. I have spent 8 hours on the phone and did everything to assist them. And I do that for strangers. I am sure You would not spent a second assisting anyone unless You got paid - just like Your sick comment here.

Last edited by ellylex; Jun 3, 2018 at 3:28 pm
Old Jun 3, 2018, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Simple questions not answered by the OP
Only LHR-ZHR-DME all on Swiss?
Really?! Not answered?! If You have read the post - You would have seen that all of this info was stated initially.
All of the repliers have selective vision here and good imagination.

I will repeat for You - YES, 2nd and 3rd segments were on SWISS. Now what - that You have confirmation?
I already read idiotic replies how passengers should have jumped into the plane to catch flight to DME while SWISS gave instructions to go to transfer desk.

Last edited by ellylex; Jun 3, 2018 at 3:35 pm
Old Jun 3, 2018, 3:37 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Really?! Not answered?! If You have read the post - You would have seen that all of this infor was stated initially.
All of the repliers have selective vision here and good imagination.

I will repeat for You - YES, 2nd and 3rd segments were on SWISS. Now what - that You have confirmation?
I already read idiotic replies how passengers should have jumped into the plane to catch flight to DME while SWISS gave instructions to go to transfer desk.
You still haven’t given us the booking class or answered my question about what kind of gate they arrived in.
And yes, they should have gone straigth to the plane (if it was still boarding), else they should have gone to the transfer desk (which they did not go to because they didn’t find the way without passport control. (I personally on my first connection flight had studied the airport map for hours to know the way by heart, but that’s a bit overkill maybe)

Now this can happen, especially when you have inexperienced travellers who do not speak the native language of the airport or english very well. In no way are we thinking that your friends are atupid or deserved what happened. Sleeping in an airport is horrible and especially feeling helpless and everybody ahould be spared from that experience.

But you should stop seeing every comment as insult. We here travel a lot and hence there is some stuff that is really daily routine for us but for other people it is not. Like connecting flights. Hence we try to help and answer your questions here with the beat of our knowledge. If you disagree then that is your right, but just keep in mind that every comment here is probably representing the honest opinion of the writer on the matter, who is just trying to answer the question as good as he can.

Now if we could all tone down a little and return to being co structive that’d be great.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nick Art
I’m just stating that you are not supposed to be in the airport between 23:00 and 05:00. Obviously your friends slept there.

I think yuropflyer pretty much sumed it up perfectly. I agree to everything he said and I think the people here who basically live in Zurich Airport maybe know a thing or two about it.
I will make sure Swiss punishes them for staying in transit zone... (I do not know at this point how to reply to Your comment).
A person living in Zurich and knowing the airport does not mean that he knows what has occurred there that night.

I was not there - I do not know. I relied on the information given to me by passengers and by staff on the ground. Information is contradictory. Yet, regardless, I had an absolutely different question here - I did not ask for judgement or investigation. I asked a question and received trolling from many.

If repliers wanted to assist - they woudl have guided me how to find out the reason for delay. No one did. Suddently that is irrelevant to helpers here. Anyway, thanks for the input - I will proceed myself, relying not on imagination and nonsense but on facts.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As is often the case when the person posting was not present, the information provided is incomplete, fragmented and sometimes inaccurate.

In this instance, it appears that:

1. The passengers arrived at ZRH roughly on schedule.
2. The onward flight to DMW was roughly on schedule.

There was plenty of time to make the connection. But, the passengers wound up trying to go through passport control, but lacked the proper visas and therefore could not do so. Nonetheless, they still could have made their connection, but apparently did not for reasons which we do not know (although one might presume a language barrier here which led to a failure both at passport control and then when OP called in and was told that it was the passengers' fault).

Thus, when the passengers did no show, they were stuck on the "wrong" side of passport control, apparently spent the night on that "wrong" side and were then rebooked.

In these circumstances, there is no compensation due under EC 261/2004 and unlikely to be any customer service gesture forthcoming either. It is not LX's fault and LX won't accept it.

This is a public board, so it is worth noting that if one is assisting people who do not speak the local language(s), it is helpful for them to carry a printed copy of their itinerary as well as a paper showing the mobile number of someone who does speak the local languages and can act as an interpreter. The paper ought to also include the language they do speak. By way of example, if these passengers are Russian-speaking, that is hardly a tough language to handle at ZRH, but may be tough when the timing is tight, as it apparently became here.

The point has already been made than people who have language, visa, and other challenges should perhaps consider more direct routings.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
You have been given very useful information from an initially confusing opening post. You choose to ignore this advice because it is not what you want to hear. Your friends obviously made a mistake because we can see where the relevant flights arrived to and departed from, so unless the Moscow flight departed early, it really isn't the airline's fault. I think part of the problem was your friends went to a transfer desk in E they didn't need to, since the Moscow flight was next door to the inbound LHR.

Finally NOONE is not a word. It is 'no one'.
I apologize but I must have missed the answer to my question.

I do not know what everyone found confusing here. The fact that flight was delayed to Zurich and passengers missed flight to Moscow. The fact that they were instructed to go to transfer desk during the flight but could not reach it since it was in another terminal requiring Shengen visa? The fact that they were stuck in transit zone for 15 hours not being able to go to transit hotel because it was full? The fact that there was NO ONE (thank You for correcting me) from SWISS there to assist?

If all of that was confusing to readers yet they made conclusions and replied here, BUT did not answer MY question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.