Suggest FT add “Like” button [implemented 9 Aug 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The new "Like" "button"

When you click on the "Like" button, it registers the handle of the user liking the post in a horizontal box immediately below the "Like" button. "Liking" a post also optionally sends a notification to the post owner. "Like" notifications appear in Your Control Panel in My FlyerTalk.

To turn the notification function on or off, look in Your Control Panel and Settings & Options under Messaging & Notification:

Likes Notifications:
  • Enable Likes Notifications
  • Disable Likes Notifications

NOTE: Editing a post causes the "Likes" to disappear for a short period of time. They are restored after that pause.

To report issues, problems etc. please visit this thread in the Technical Support and Feedback forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback/1863159-new-like-button-information-issues-discussion.html

LIST OF SUGGESTIONS, PROS and CONS discussed in thread:

Please add all your suggestions since implementation, August 9 2017:
  1. Modify Like button to take up less real estate - ie, put the button w/ the other buttons & likes under signatures or list only if hover
  2. Allow members to completely turn off the ability to see likes
  3. Use Helpful instead of Like
  4. Completely eliminate Like button
  5. Do not display handles of those who Liked the post

"Some FTers are supportive of like/helpful button. Some are not. Some on both sides of the issue have questions, concerns and/or need more info. This wiki attempts to highlight them in bullet format/"cliff notes" version from the 566 posts made in prior Talkboard thread, which had 700 posts. More detailed information regarding the pros/cons/questions/concerns/info can be garnered by reading the entire thread, where FTers on both sides of the like/helpful button have been eloquent/provided valuable input. When TalkBoard last polled FT members, the result of the poll was in favour of introducing likes (by a considerable margin)

Pros:
* Make Flyertalk more modern/more like Facebook, LinkedIn and many other social media sites
* A like/helpful button would minimize unnecessary replies such as +1.
* Streamlines posts
* The value add of showing likes, helpful votes, etc. is that it can surface good content and get more views for it
* Positive feedback incentivizes quality content/FTers will post more
* Some people won’t take time to write a thank you but will post a like
* Those with more likes/helpfuls are considered knowledgable

Cons:
* Makes Flyertalk more like Facebook/dumbs it down
* FT had rating system here years ago and it did not go well
* System can be gamed/cliques develop
* Clutters up posts/takes up valuable screen space
* Will not eliminate +1s/+1s also provide positive feedback
* Posts that have inaccurate info can also get likes/doesn't mean poster is knowledgable
* If FTers post info & it doesn't get likes/helpfuls, less incentive to post more
* Some who might have posted info in the past will now just post like, so less information provided to other FTers.

Questions, concerns about how it will work, and/or information based on brief internal trial already done (trial done last time it came up for discussion)
* If implemented, can FTers who prefer not to utilize the like/helpful button turn it off so that they don't see it at all?
* Is there a software way to separate likes of posts from posters? (Limited trial indicates no; don't know if software can be changed to do so)
* Can a post/day count be implemented before implementing for FTers, similar Omni/CC? (Yes)
* Can certain forums have it turned off such as Omni? (No, current software is it's either all forums or none)
* If a sitewide trial is created, what are the metrics for success or failure?
* What is the goal of this/how will the data be used?
* If customization of current software is required, will this take away from development on other projects such as a better mobile app?
* Will or can there be a dislike/unhelpful button?
* What happens if a post that is "liked" gets its content edited and ends up having a different meaning than it initially had at the time the post was "liked"?
* Can threads or individual posts deemed helpful be bookmarked/saved?"

IBobi responded to theses comments and questions here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28664495-post59.html

Print Wikipost

Suggest FT add “Like” button [implemented 9 Aug 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by TWA884
Actually, in the linked thread, 725 members voted in the poll and the results were approximately 60/38, not 50/50. In the political world, that would have been a landslide.
Actually in that poll, the results were going the other way (against) except for a 24-hour period during Xmas holidays when there was a surge of votes (not what one would expect on a random day during the week between Xmas & NYE ) when it flipped & then it went back to the slow method of votes posting.

It should also be noted that the poll was written as having a helpful button at IB's request (something that was brought up as a suggestion on this thread as well by FTers) vs. a like button. I served on TB the times like was brought up for discussion & am quite familiar with it, including the comments in the 700 post thread where people actually posted their views & those were always 50/50, to the point that IBobi even said in this thread that there had never been a consensus on the topic.

Like is now here to stay, as IB has never walked back anything it's done, even when FTers have lodged complaints w/ their often clunky implementations of items. One can only hope that they do take the input in this thread into consideration, although we know they're not totally going to do that.

Because if they were, then opt-out would be an option, just as it is w/ signatures. Again, it boggles my mind that a 'win-win' situation such as opt-out that would meet the needs of FTers both for/against like wouldn't be implemented. It also boggles my mind that FTers wouldn't support an opt-out vs. telling other FTers who prefer not to see like to 'get over it'.

Cheers.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 7:06 am

No one likes being told to get over it. Hurts to be on the losing side LOL.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by zitsky
There have been items that I voted on as a TB member where some were for & against & I had to use my best judgment, along w/ input from FTers, when voting. Some were happy/some weren't w/ TB decisions, but I didn't say to those who were not happy w/ a decision (or its implementation if it didn't go smoothly at first) to 'just deal w/ it' or 'get over it'. That doesn't add anything to the FT experience & is dismissive of FTers & their input.

Cheers.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
There have been items that I voted on as a TB member where some were for & against & I had to use my best judgment, along w/ input from FTers, when voting. Some were happy/some weren't w/ TB decisions, but I didn't say to those who were not happy w/ a decision (or its implementation if it didn't go smoothly at first) to 'just deal w/ it' or 'get over it'. That doesn't add anything to the FT experience & is dismissive of FTers & their input.

Cheers.
I'm on the side against the like button in case I didn't make that clear. I'm one of the losers. All I can do is laugh about it. FT is now Facebook Travel (TM).
GUWonder likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Only sore losers exist. Now where's that best airline lounge massage?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:39 pm

FT is now Facebook Travel (TM).
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Actually in that poll, the results were going the other way (against) except for a 24-hour period during Xmas holidays when there was a surge of votes (not what one would expect on a random day during the week between Xmas & NYE ) when it flipped & then it went back to the slow method of votes posting.
Russia?
obscure2k and TWA884 like this.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 11:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Russia?
No, that post by SkiAdcock wasn't referring to Russia. SkiAdcock's mentioning of "during the week between Xmas & NYE" makes it obvious that the reference isn't to Russia.

My bet is that the plurality of Like button votes during that week -- which may have been a product of lobbying (of sorts) -- were a US product.

Tammany Hall?

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 7, 2017 at 2:21 am
Old Sep 8, 2017, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
cliquishness and adversarial piling on via Like signaling...I encounter the Like feature being used less to help me find useful information than to signal other things.
I feel the same way.
In this thread there is a sense of Us vs.Them; we got more Likes than you guys; we're gonna win; we won/you lost.
I dislike this.
fransknorge likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
So is there going to be a way to turn off this useless feature?

I don't understand why anyone would even waste time to click the like button. To those of you who use it: why? What do you think you are accomplishing by doing so?
GUWonder likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 11:44 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by Herb687

I don't understand why anyone would even waste time to click the like button. To those of you who use it: why? What do you think you are accomplishing by doing so?
Useless for you.

Appreciation of good quality posts for others.
nkedel, JonNYC, obscure2k and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Appreciation of good quality posts for others.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Herb687

I find it entirely odd in this day and age that someone could actually make a statement like this. Really? You can't even understand it?

If one really has such little exposure to the modern Internet in 2017 that he or she can't understand the psychology behind clicking "like," I guess there will be no convincing him or her of its value.

But give this article a read and maybe it'll give some insight into why it works: https://marketingland.com/psychology...acebook-135599
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:49 am
Suspended

[deleted quote of now-deleted content]

Do moderators or others in FT/IB positions of privilege on FT see a count of how many times in the aggregate any individual FTer has had posts liked across FT? And do they see how many times in the aggregate any individual FTer has used the Like feature to Like a post?

Last edited by cblaisd; Sep 14, 2017 at 12:53 pm
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Do moderators or others in FT/IB positions of privilege on FT see a count of how many times in the aggregate any individual FTer has had posts liked across FT? And do they see how many times in the aggregate any individual FTer has used the Like feature to Like a post?
Moderators: absolutely not.

IB admins and Carol: maybe, but it depends how IBxAnders' team coded the tool, and being familiar with how they work, I would expect that no, they did not code anything like that in because it was never part of the spec for the job.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.