Suggest FT add “Like” button [implemented 9 Aug 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The new "Like" "button"

When you click on the "Like" button, it registers the handle of the user liking the post in a horizontal box immediately below the "Like" button. "Liking" a post also optionally sends a notification to the post owner. "Like" notifications appear in Your Control Panel in My FlyerTalk.

To turn the notification function on or off, look in Your Control Panel and Settings & Options under Messaging & Notification:

Likes Notifications:
  • Enable Likes Notifications
  • Disable Likes Notifications

NOTE: Editing a post causes the "Likes" to disappear for a short period of time. They are restored after that pause.

To report issues, problems etc. please visit this thread in the Technical Support and Feedback forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback/1863159-new-like-button-information-issues-discussion.html

LIST OF SUGGESTIONS, PROS and CONS discussed in thread:

Please add all your suggestions since implementation, August 9 2017:
  1. Modify Like button to take up less real estate - ie, put the button w/ the other buttons & likes under signatures or list only if hover
  2. Allow members to completely turn off the ability to see likes
  3. Use Helpful instead of Like
  4. Completely eliminate Like button
  5. Do not display handles of those who Liked the post

"Some FTers are supportive of like/helpful button. Some are not. Some on both sides of the issue have questions, concerns and/or need more info. This wiki attempts to highlight them in bullet format/"cliff notes" version from the 566 posts made in prior Talkboard thread, which had 700 posts. More detailed information regarding the pros/cons/questions/concerns/info can be garnered by reading the entire thread, where FTers on both sides of the like/helpful button have been eloquent/provided valuable input. When TalkBoard last polled FT members, the result of the poll was in favour of introducing likes (by a considerable margin)

Pros:
* Make Flyertalk more modern/more like Facebook, LinkedIn and many other social media sites
* A like/helpful button would minimize unnecessary replies such as +1.
* Streamlines posts
* The value add of showing likes, helpful votes, etc. is that it can surface good content and get more views for it
* Positive feedback incentivizes quality content/FTers will post more
* Some people won’t take time to write a thank you but will post a like
* Those with more likes/helpfuls are considered knowledgable

Cons:
* Makes Flyertalk more like Facebook/dumbs it down
* FT had rating system here years ago and it did not go well
* System can be gamed/cliques develop
* Clutters up posts/takes up valuable screen space
* Will not eliminate +1s/+1s also provide positive feedback
* Posts that have inaccurate info can also get likes/doesn't mean poster is knowledgable
* If FTers post info & it doesn't get likes/helpfuls, less incentive to post more
* Some who might have posted info in the past will now just post like, so less information provided to other FTers.

Questions, concerns about how it will work, and/or information based on brief internal trial already done (trial done last time it came up for discussion)
* If implemented, can FTers who prefer not to utilize the like/helpful button turn it off so that they don't see it at all?
* Is there a software way to separate likes of posts from posters? (Limited trial indicates no; don't know if software can be changed to do so)
* Can a post/day count be implemented before implementing for FTers, similar Omni/CC? (Yes)
* Can certain forums have it turned off such as Omni? (No, current software is it's either all forums or none)
* If a sitewide trial is created, what are the metrics for success or failure?
* What is the goal of this/how will the data be used?
* If customization of current software is required, will this take away from development on other projects such as a better mobile app?
* Will or can there be a dislike/unhelpful button?
* What happens if a post that is "liked" gets its content edited and ends up having a different meaning than it initially had at the time the post was "liked"?
* Can threads or individual posts deemed helpful be bookmarked/saved?"

IBobi responded to theses comments and questions here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28664495-post59.html

Print Wikipost

Suggest FT add “Like” button [implemented 9 Aug 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2017, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Why is not there a dislike button? Like slashdot, reddit
Slashdot, Reddit, Stack Overflow, etc use a downvote/upvote system to show how to order (and whether to hide) responses, rather than being an in-order discussion system.

The downvote makes sense in that context, but it's a completely different dynamic from a discussion board, and an upvote is a very different thing from "like" in this context -- which (while I support it, minus the cr*ppy visual implementation we actually got) pretty much is just a way of giving people an alternative to posting "Thanks!" / "+1" / "^^^"

People have talked about "gaming" the likes system, and frankly, I don't see where a simple "like" (or "thanks") is game-able. It's when it turns into effectively an upvote (or an upvote/downvote) that we need to worry about gaming. And no thank you on that.

I actually think "Like" or "Thanks" is a good way to both remove non-substantive messages from threads, and help occasional users who don't post feel engaged -- both good things.

A "downvote" "don't like" doesn't make sense in this context except maybe on OMNI/PR (how many non-substantive disagreement posts do we see there? It might actually improve the signal to noise ratio), and with a few exceptions we're not really a social board so the other more nuanced responses from Facebook's "reactions" seem a bit pointless (it might make sense on the non-bad OMNI and a few other places, but in general...)

Also, *lol* if IB can't manage to get a basic "Like" function to look decent and fit in with the overall design of the site on the first try, complicating it further seems like a horrible idea at least until the "Like" function is fixed (and probably not even then... if it ain't baroque and all that ).

Originally Posted by muji
Many of us would like to disable the Likes feature.
Can the method for doing so be posted for us?
Pretty easy if you engage in one of those "do not talk about fight club" things if you know what I mean. If you don't, local rules forbid explaining further.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 4:13 pm

I'm not necessarily opposed to a like button but that banner of who liked it needs to go and like yesterday.
nkedel and GUWonder like this.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 11:05 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
It seems that on this theead, the likes have become an upvote system, used to enforce ones own position on the matter.
GUWonder and KENNECTED like this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 6:34 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by intuition
It seems that on this theead, the likes have become an upvote system, used to enforce ones own position on the matter.
... without cluttering the thread with +1 posts. @:-)
Old Aug 14, 2017, 6:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by nsx
... without cluttering the thread with +1 posts. @:-)
No, just cluttering the thread w/ disruptive viewing w/ the current like iteration

Also it's totally naive to think that because like has been implemented that +1s are going away. FTers will use the method they most prefer, whether that be +1 or like. I would say +1s are, at the moment, less disruptive, because they're not in the middle of a content post & don't have a banner stretching across the entire post.

Cheers.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by anabolism
I'm curious why you think it will be helpful in that situation? My guess is that the "noise" posts are just as likely to be "like"d as the useful ones. Perhaps more so.

Also, since there is no way to view a thread that hides un-"like"d posts, how would it be helpful even if only the useful posts were "like"d?
Well, I'm not saying that I think that every useful post will be 'liked' even once, much less many times. I'm also not saying that every 'well-liked' post will be useful - a witty post is going to be liked regardless of totally relevant content.

Because of that, I wouldn't even be interested in a way to filter out unliked posts. I want to read it all, but think it might be helpful in helping me scan when going through a long thread looking for stuff that's pertinent to my situation. I don't mind it being used as an 'agree' button on opinion posts, I think I'd rather have that than setting up many different buttons.

I just think it's a good extra sorting feature, and if it can be turned off for anyone it irritates, then I'm more interested in talking about how to fine tune it than debating whether or not to have it.

Along those lines: I've been trying all night to be really annoyed at the amount of space it takes up, but I just haven't gotten there. I admit that it seems as though they should have planned for it all to fit in line with the existing buttons, perhaps making it fairly small and unobtrusive where one has to click to actually see a list of names of 'likers.'

Relatedly, I hate mouseovers, so if y'all end up implementing something like that, please require a click and not a mouseover. I'd opt-out over that, and I've come to rather like it.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
No, just cluttering the thread w/ disruptive viewing w/ the current like iteration
And are mostly just saying "I agree with this position" and probably not indicating that "I found this comment helpful".
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by synergistic
Relatedly, I hate mouseovers, so if y'all end up implementing something like that, please require a click and not a mouseover. I'd opt-out over that, and I've come to rather like it.
It's my understanding that mouseovers are on their way out of good web design as they are not good for mobile. But I'm not a web designer, so this is a second-hand impression.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by IBobi

No it isn't. All we are rolling out now is the ability to "like".
This was in response to asking about IB's earlier mention of a "sort by likes function". To me, the ability to sort by likes, although not a feature I would probably use, seemed to at least have some logic or utility to it.

As it stands now, it's hard to see what substantive purpose there is in the "like text" function. It doesn't change the manner in which threads or posts are displayed. All it does is show how many likes a post has while reading through the thread...but what actual benefit does that provide? If a post is useful, or entertaining, or informative, or [insert benefit here], then the presence or absence of "likes" won't change that.

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Can we just be clear that this, in its current 1995 iteration, is neither a button nor an icon?

It's the word "like" stuck over on the right side. It's as if IB only has a copy of FrontPage and HTML 2.0 to work with regarding this board.
The more I've seen the feature the past few days, the less and less I care for the implementation. It's clunky and visually distracting.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Not happening.

Is there an option to remove their visibility on the full desktop mode? Turning off seeing FT member signatures in posts is possible, or at least it used to be.
I wondered the same thing - if we can turn off seeing signatures, why can't we turn off seeing the "Tom, Dick, and Harry liked this..."? Everyone who wants to see that can still do so, and those who choose not to won't see it - just as with signatures. I'm still not sure if I'll use the feature or not, but this would seem to satisfy those who do use it and those who don't wish to do so.

IB has stated that the ability for individuals to turn it off would "defeat the purpose". But I would imagine people who would opt-out wouldn't have used the feature in the first place.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by 84fiero
IB has stated that the ability for individuals to turn it off would "defeat the purpose". But I would imagine people who would opt-out wouldn't have used the feature in the first place.
Some of those who would opt-out may have used the feature if but not for opting-out.

IB clearly wants FTers to use the feature. And as FT is IB's playground, it's IB's rules at the FT playground.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Hello and good day...cblaisd and JDiver, Co-Moderators
Moderators, several members have mentioned that there is a way to disable the Like feature.

I'd like to disable it (since it is quite visually distracting for me), but it has been alluded that doing so would be against FT rules.
Is that the case?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by muji
Moderators, several members have mentioned that there is a way to disable the Like feature.

I'd like to disable it (since it is quite visually distracting for me), but it has been alluded that doing so would be against FT rules.
Is that the case?
I'm not aware of any way of disabling the "Like" function, not any prohibition against doing so (assuming there is a way to disable it).

Some have discussed ad blocking software, and that is prohibited (so such references have been deleted as off topic and irrelevant). But it's unlikely such software could address the "Like" function, so discussing these is not relevant at best.

Using ad blocking software deprives IB of the very income that allows FlyerTalk to exist as a free Board.

JDiver, Co-Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 15, 2017 at 8:44 am Reason: Add after moderation actions
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:44 pm

I absolutely HATE this like button. It's bad enough I have to look at adds, including hijacking adds. I find this new like button extremely distracting. My eye goes to that instead of the text of the message. I hate, hate, hate it. You really should have a way to turn it off, and yes I did read your message.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by JDiver
[color="navy"]I'm not aware of any way of disabling the "Like" function, not any prohibition against doing so (assuming there is a way to disable it).

Some have discussed ad blocking software, and that is prohibited (so such references have been deleted as off topic and irrelevant). But it's unlikely such software could address the "Like" function, so discussing these is not relevant at best.
The "like" display can be disabled fairly simply on many browsers, without resorting to ad-blocking or other plug-ins.

Many browsers have the ability to use a "user style sheet" or "custom style sheet" or similar term. This is a set of rules for displaying web content that users can create on their own devices. The rules let you adjust how page elements are displayed (such as changing the font, color, position, etc.), including hiding certain elements.

As an example, if a user were to have a custom (or user or local) style sheet that contained only the following, it would cause the "like" element to be hidden:

Code:
/* Hide flyertalk 'like' button */
div[class="vbseo_buttons"][id^="lkbtn"] {
    display: none !important;
  }
As an aside, some ad-blocking plug-ins work by blocking all content from a set of black-listed domains. Such plug-ins wouldn't block the "like" feature, since that is inherently part of the content from flyertalk.com. However, other ad-blocking plug-ins work by in effect overriding the style sheet for the site, hiding the display of certain elements, such as in-line frames that contain content fetched from a set of black-listed domains, or all Flash content, or all pop-up or pop-under content. This type of ad-blocking plug-in could, in theory, block the "like" feature from appearing. I mention that only for clarification.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by anabolism
The "like" display can be disabled fairly simply on many browsers, without resorting to ad-blocking or other plug-ins.
Another FTer mentioned this to me as well. <redacted>

Since the majority of the responses on this thread are negative towards the current incarnation of like on FT, one hopes that the 'opt-out' option will be implemented. Those who want to see/post likes can do so. Others who don't want to see it won't have to muck around w/ changing browsers or other solutions. Again, a win-win for everyone. I can't imagine why a win-win wouldn't be wanted.

Cheers.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 15, 2017 at 7:00 pm Reason: Edited for conformity

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.