Suggest FT add “Like” button [implemented 9 Aug 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The new "Like" "button"

When you click on the "Like" button, it registers the handle of the user liking the post in a horizontal box immediately below the "Like" button. "Liking" a post also optionally sends a notification to the post owner. "Like" notifications appear in Your Control Panel in My FlyerTalk.

To turn the notification function on or off, look in Your Control Panel and Settings & Options under Messaging & Notification:

Likes Notifications:
  • Enable Likes Notifications
  • Disable Likes Notifications

NOTE: Editing a post causes the "Likes" to disappear for a short period of time. They are restored after that pause.

To report issues, problems etc. please visit this thread in the Technical Support and Feedback forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback/1863159-new-like-button-information-issues-discussion.html

LIST OF SUGGESTIONS, PROS and CONS discussed in thread:

Please add all your suggestions since implementation, August 9 2017:
  1. Modify Like button to take up less real estate - ie, put the button w/ the other buttons & likes under signatures or list only if hover
  2. Allow members to completely turn off the ability to see likes
  3. Use Helpful instead of Like
  4. Completely eliminate Like button
  5. Do not display handles of those who Liked the post

"Some FTers are supportive of like/helpful button. Some are not. Some on both sides of the issue have questions, concerns and/or need more info. This wiki attempts to highlight them in bullet format/"cliff notes" version from the 566 posts made in prior Talkboard thread, which had 700 posts. More detailed information regarding the pros/cons/questions/concerns/info can be garnered by reading the entire thread, where FTers on both sides of the like/helpful button have been eloquent/provided valuable input. When TalkBoard last polled FT members, the result of the poll was in favour of introducing likes (by a considerable margin)

Pros:
* Make Flyertalk more modern/more like Facebook, LinkedIn and many other social media sites
* A like/helpful button would minimize unnecessary replies such as +1.
* Streamlines posts
* The value add of showing likes, helpful votes, etc. is that it can surface good content and get more views for it
* Positive feedback incentivizes quality content/FTers will post more
* Some people won’t take time to write a thank you but will post a like
* Those with more likes/helpfuls are considered knowledgable

Cons:
* Makes Flyertalk more like Facebook/dumbs it down
* FT had rating system here years ago and it did not go well
* System can be gamed/cliques develop
* Clutters up posts/takes up valuable screen space
* Will not eliminate +1s/+1s also provide positive feedback
* Posts that have inaccurate info can also get likes/doesn't mean poster is knowledgable
* If FTers post info & it doesn't get likes/helpfuls, less incentive to post more
* Some who might have posted info in the past will now just post like, so less information provided to other FTers.

Questions, concerns about how it will work, and/or information based on brief internal trial already done (trial done last time it came up for discussion)
* If implemented, can FTers who prefer not to utilize the like/helpful button turn it off so that they don't see it at all?
* Is there a software way to separate likes of posts from posters? (Limited trial indicates no; don't know if software can be changed to do so)
* Can a post/day count be implemented before implementing for FTers, similar Omni/CC? (Yes)
* Can certain forums have it turned off such as Omni? (No, current software is it's either all forums or none)
* If a sitewide trial is created, what are the metrics for success or failure?
* What is the goal of this/how will the data be used?
* If customization of current software is required, will this take away from development on other projects such as a better mobile app?
* Will or can there be a dislike/unhelpful button?
* What happens if a post that is "liked" gets its content edited and ends up having a different meaning than it initially had at the time the post was "liked"?
* Can threads or individual posts deemed helpful be bookmarked/saved?"

IBobi responded to theses comments and questions here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28664495-post59.html

Print Wikipost

Suggest FT add “Like” button [implemented 9 Aug 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:15 am
Community Director Emerita

I've been following all the discussion on the "like" button while also observing how it is used as I am reading across FlyerTalk. So far, I am satisfied as to how I see it being used. It's being used appropriately, to express appreciation for informative posts. I have yet to see it being used in any way that is adversarial which was an appropriate concern given shenanigans of many years ago.

Here's an example of an unexpectedly positive way it is being used. We have a particularly busy forum where folks have found a way to express support for correct information, rather than piling on when someone posts something that isn't. For example, poster A posts something that doesn't make sense. Poster B responds with correct information. Many likes than ensue for Poster B. The entire thread doesn't have to be consumed with posts explaining why A was incorrect. It's a very tidy way for folks to spot good information.

Then there is the visual aspect of the button. Do I like it? No. I agree with many of the negative comments on this aspect of the feature. I hope that Internet Brands indeed comes up with improvements when the new software update rolls out.

Carol
Community Director
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I view it as a way to thank someone without having to post and take up more thread space.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:21 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
If you don't like the "Like" button then do come up with something a little more substantive than trying to use that as the reason. It's such a non-event if someone "likes" a mod's post.
I actually do like the "Like" button. It is useful in some situations.
However I am not the one making the FT rules, IB does and either they abide by their own rules or they change them. It is not a non-event.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 5:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
This (like) is water under the bridge/there's no going back, but

IMO this should have been made public before it was ever implemented & asked for input. It's really sad that it wasn't. And that was something that Talkboard offered that doesn't really exist now. An opportunity to get input before something goes live.

I (heart) the CommunityDirector. Always have/always will. But this is also an example of something she thought would help FT & then IB totally bungled the implementation & quite frankly, the CD can only hope that IB actually implements the suggestions. There's no guarantee that they will.

We already know they won't eliminate like at all. It would be a cold day in hades where IB has ever walked back anything. And for those who said please allow an 'opt-out' - IBobi said several pages ago that's not going to happen.

So basically the bottom line is it was implemented whether most FTers wanted it or not, & it's going to be implemented w/o an opt-out, again re: of FTers' input. So we're stuck w/ hoping that IB might clean up the mess that it created when it implemented. But no guarantee there.

Thanks IB, & no wonder FTers are looking for alternatives.

Cheers.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
...Thanks IB, & no wonder FTers are looking for alternatives.
They always have/do, they always come back.

I simply cannot fathom the amount of hand-wringing and ersatz consternation over this exceedingly minor tweak. It's befuddling.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 7:14 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
IMO this should have been made public before it was ever implemented & asked for input. It's really sad that it wasn't. And that was something that Talkboard offered that doesn't really exist now. An opportunity to get input before something goes live.
This has been discussed since 2013? And this current thread has been around since May. How much discussion do we need?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...ke-button.html
JonNYC, oliver2002, jackal and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
This has been discussed since 2013? And this current thread has been around since May. How much discussion do we need?

If you're annoyed with the discussion, no one is forcing you to visit this thread. Just ignore it. Otherwise, freedom of speech prevails.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:44 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
If you're annoyed with the discussion, no one is forcing you to visit this thread. Just ignore it. Otherwise, freedom of speech prevails.
Not annoyed with the current discussion. Just confused about the premise that there was no discussion before this was put in place?
JonNYC and Silver Fox like this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Talk about a non sequitur.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I've been following all the discussion on the "like" button while also observing how it is used as I am reading across FlyerTalk. So far, I am satisfied as to how I see it being used. It's being used appropriately, to express appreciation for informative posts. I have yet to see it being used in any way that is adversarial which was an appropriate concern given shenanigans of many years ago.

Here's an example of an unexpectedly positive way it is being used. We have a particularly busy forum where folks have found a way to express support for correct information, rather than piling on when someone posts something that isn't. For example, poster A posts something that doesn't make sense. Poster B responds with correct information. Many likes than ensue for Poster B. The entire thread doesn't have to be consumed with posts explaining why A was incorrect. It's a very tidy way for folks to spot good information.
It may be a way to spot good information, or it may be a example of something that may be considered adversarial (or piling on) against something/someone being disputed, ridiculed, etc. Even this thread may have examples of that going on.

The use of the Like feature elsewhere online has been ripe with revealing cliquish behavior of sorts, so I doubt that FT is entirely free of the cliquishness and adversarial piling on via Like signaling.

I encounter the Like feature being used less to help me find useful information than to signal other things. This thread has plenty of examples of that to see.

I'm sure that none of my comments about this feature will make a difference in its future on FT, but that is my comment about it anyway. Like it or not.

Originally Posted by fransknorge
The rules of FT prohibits to comments (positive or negative) on moderation. Nevertheless it is possible to like moderator posts, where they act as moderator and not as poster. This is in contradiction to the rule of FT.
It should not be possible to Like moderator posts.
Perhaps in some utopia IB will disable the ability to Like "Moderator" posts. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen, even as I think it would be a nice feature.

Last edited by cblaisd; Sep 5, 2017 at 7:48 am Reason: merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by sxc

It got brought up every couple of years, was 50/50 for/against, wasn't a huge groundswell of asking for it (even in this thread before it was implemented).

Again, the CD asked for it thinking it would benefit FT, but IB bungled the implementation - even while saying they wouldn't allow an opt-out.

The opt out feature would have been a "win-win" - those who like likes (pardon the pun) could see them. Those who don't/find them distracting wouldn't have to. Again, 'win-win'. It boggles my mind that IB wouldn't want a win-win for the FT community.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
They always have/do, they always come back.
That wasn't what I was referring to

Cheers.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 12:14 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
It got brought up every couple of years, was 50/50 for/against, wasn't a huge groundswell of asking for it (even in this thread before it was implemented).
Actually, in the linked thread, 725 members voted in the poll and the results were approximately 60/38, not 50/50. In the political world, that would have been a landslide.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
...Even this thread may have examples of that going on.
A textbook, central-casting, **picture perfect** example of conjuring up conspiracies, "games," malice, etc., etc. in this feature where there is/are none.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:42 pm

Talk about a non sequitur.
Not even close, but amusing nonetheless.

Last edited by FLYMSY; Sep 5, 2017 at 3:48 pm
Old Sep 5, 2017, 11:12 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
A textbook, central-casting, **picture perfect** example of conjuring up conspiracies, "games," malice, etc., etc. in this feature where there is/are none.
Talk about a non-sequitur.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.