Go Back   > >
View Poll Results: Q: What is your view on FlyerTalk implementing a "Helpful" button feature?
Support 433 59.72%
Oppose 275 37.93%
No opinion 17 2.34%
Voters: 725. You may not vote on this poll

    Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 22, 15, 2:56 am   -   Wikipost
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: "Like" Button?
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Prospero
Wiki Link
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Some FTers are supportive of like/helpful button. Some are not. Some on both sides of the issue have questions, concerns and/or need more info. This wiki attempts to highlight them in bullet format/"cliff notes" version from the 566 posts in this thread. More detailed information regarding the pros/cons/questions/concerns/info can be garnered by reading the entire thread, where FTers on both sides of the like/helpful button have been eloquent/provided valuable input.

Pros:
* Makes Flyertalk more modern; more like Facebook, LinkedIn, and other progressive internet bulletin boards
* A like/helpful button would minimize unnecessary replies such as +1.
* Streamlines posts
* Positive feedback incentivizes quality content/FTers will post more
* Some people won’t take time to write a thank you but will post a like
* Those with more likes/helpfuls are considered knowledgable

Cons:
* Makes it easier for airlines/companies to find mistake fares/glitches/underground tricks
* Makes Flyertalk more like Facebook/dumbs it down
* FT had rating system here years ago and it did not go well
* System can be gamed/cliques develop
* Clutters up posts/takes up valuable screen space
* Will not eliminate +1s/+1s also provide positive feedback
* Posts that have inaccurate info can also get likes/doesn't mean poster is knowledgable
* If FTers post info & it doesn't get likes/helpfuls, less incentive to post more
* Some who might have posted info in the past will now just post like, so less information provided to other FTers.
* Older posts will tend to have more likes/helpfuls on average than newer posts in the same thread, which can be misleading when the information is out-of-date. [added by MSPeconomist]

Questions, concerns about how it will work, and/or information based on brief internal trial already done
* If implemented, can FTers who prefer not to utilize the like/helpful button turn it off so that they don't see it?
* Is there a software way to separate likes of posts from posters? (Limited trial indicates no; don't know if software can be changed to do so)
* Can a post/day count be implemented before implementing for FTers, similar Omni/CC? (Yes)
* Can certain forums have it turned off such as Omni? (No, current software is it's either all forums or none)
* If a sitewide trial is created, what are the metrics for success or failure?
* What is the goal of this/how will the data be used?
* If customization of current software is required, will this take away from development on other projects such as a better mobile app?
* Will or can there be a dislike/unhelpful button?
* What happens if a post that is "liked" gets its content edited and ends up having a different meaning than it initially had at the time the post was "liked"?
* Can threads or individual posts deemed helpful be bookmarked/saved?
* Can users "opt out" and select to remove all trace of the system, as is currently possible with the ignore list and removing view of signatures?
Print Wikipost

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 11, 13, 3:37 am   #1
Original Poster
  
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: ABQ, ORD, TLV
Programs: Mostly a free agent nowadays: UA, LH, AA, DL; Marriott, Ritz-Carlton, Hilton; Amex Plat
Posts: 1,579
"Like" Button?

Ok, I searched for this topic in this forum and didn't see it. I have this sense that this has been brought up before, and I'm posting something unnecessary. I sincerely apologize if this is the case.

That said, a "like" button would be nice to minimize unnecessary replies and provide an option for folks to say "I hear you."

Again, please disregard if this has been discussed or dismissed before. I've not posted in this forum before, so I'm not up on the etiquette. Thank you!
zcat18 is offline  
Old Aug 11, 13, 9:12 am   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Benicia CA
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA EXP 3.6MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Posts: 29,967
There was some type of rating system here years ago and it did not go well. Birthday threads were given thumbs down, for instance, and the whole system was anonymous. Unless you can come up with some way to have the system not be anonymous, not sure there's much to be gained here. Might check in the Technical Issues forum to see if the tech support staff can even set up such a thing before asking the Talk Board to implement it.

Milepoint does have software that allows you to give a thumbs up to a thread, but the positive there is that your screen name appears at the bottom of the post you rated and it identifies you. It can't be done anonymously.
tom911 is offline  
Old Aug 12, 13, 11:43 am   #3
Original Poster
  
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: ABQ, ORD, TLV
Programs: Mostly a free agent nowadays: UA, LH, AA, DL; Marriott, Ritz-Carlton, Hilton; Amex Plat
Posts: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
There was some type of rating system here years ago and it did not go well. Birthday threads were given thumbs down, for instance, and the whole system was anonymous. Unless you can come up with some way to have the system not be anonymous, not sure there's much to be gained here. Might check in the Technical Issues forum to see if the tech support staff can even set up such a thing before asking the Talk Board to implement it.

Milepoint does have software that allows you to give a thumbs up to a thread, but the positive there is that your screen name appears at the bottom of the post you rated and it identifies you. It can't be done anonymously.
Thanks for the background! I have a friend who runs a very active sports blog and uses Disqus to host and moderate comments. Disqus does have an option to identify posters who have given up or down votes to various posts. Their screen names appear when you mouse over the respective "up" and "down" buttons. I'll ask how he set up the capability and write to the tech folks with the information, as perhaps it can be duplicated. Then, they and the Talkboard can decide whether it's something that is worth pursuing. I'm not sure a down vote button is necessary, as it is more effective to voice disagreements and the reasons for them in an actual post. An up vote button, however, might help cut down on people essentially repeating each other's responses.
zcat18 is offline  
Old Aug 14, 13, 12:55 pm   #4
Hyatt Contributor Badge
  
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: Nothing current
Posts: 392
I know that newer versions of VBulletin have this functionality built in almost exactly as you describe -- the ability to "like" a post with the user names of those that have "liked" it displayed at the bottom of the post. Here's a screenshot from another forum I read:



It's just a question of whether this functionality can be brought to the older version of VBulletin that FT is built on.

-S
Sarfa33 is offline  
Old Aug 16, 13, 6:01 am   #5
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles and Travel with Pets
  
Join Date: Sep 2000
Programs: DL GM, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 11,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarfa33 View Post
I know that newer versions of VBulletin have this functionality built in almost exactly as you describe -- the ability to "like" a post with the user names of those that have "liked" it displayed at the bottom of the post. Here's a screenshot from another forum I read:



It's just a question of whether this functionality can be brought to the older version of VBulletin that FT is built on.

-S
I wouldn't object if it appeared like this.
RSSrsvp is online now  
Old Aug 16, 13, 7:40 am   #6
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
  
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Athens, GA USA
Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 18,533
I would actually find this very distracting and busy.... I honestly want to read the posts for content.... not who else liked it. And it will take up valuable screen space!
wharvey is offline  
Old Aug 16, 13, 8:42 am   #7
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
  
Join Date: Aug 2002
Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimePlatinum
Posts: 59,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by wharvey View Post
I would actually find this very distracting and busy.... I honestly want to read the posts for content.... not who else liked it. And it will take up valuable screen space!
Speaking as a regular FTer & not as TB member, I agree (especially if someone posts something that everyone likes - the list of those liking could be longer than the post ).

Cheers.
SkiAdcock is offline  
Old Aug 16, 13, 10:52 am   #8
Hyatt Contributor Badge
  
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: Nothing current
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by wharvey View Post
I would actually find this very distracting and busy.... I honestly want to read the posts for content.... not who else liked it. And it will take up valuable screen space!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
Speaking as a regular FTer & not as TB member, I agree (especially if someone posts something that everyone likes - the list of those liking could be longer than the post ).
So this is how a post actually looks.



As you can see, the "like" list is truncated. Clicking on the "7 others" link will expand the list to show all of the usernames. Until you click it, though, the list remains short.

Personally, I like the functionality and have seen on other boards that it does seem to cut down on the posts that just say "+1" to something that someone said earlier. I also don't feel that it makes the screen look cluttered, but that's obviously IMHO.

-S
Sarfa33 is offline  
Old Aug 16, 13, 11:13 am   #9
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending
  
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Posts: 46,189
While I can see the benefit of obviating all the "+1" posts or those that merely say "I agree" and understand the intent is to recognize helpful contributions the "like" icon to me is just another reputation tool that can rewards familiarity & frequency as much as quality.

A member who posts occasionally in a few forums offering insightful contributions or sharing a great fare find won't become as well known as those who post more often but perhaps on a broader range of topics over multiple fora and so their reputation won't build to the same level but that doesn't mean they are any less valuable a contributor but rather just participate differently.

I'm okay with us not having this type of tool in out FT toolbox, though that's merely MHO.
tcook052 is offline  
Old Aug 16, 13, 10:10 pm   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atherton, CA
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Posts: 21,676
Meh... Too much like FB.
Doc Savage is offline  
Old Aug 17, 13, 1:41 am   #11
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
  
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 66,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
While I can see the benefit of obviating all the "+1" posts or those that merely say "I agree" and understand the intent is to recognize helpful contributions the "like" icon to me is just another reputation tool that can rewards familiarity & frequency as much as quality.

A member who posts occasionally in a few forums offering insightful contributions or sharing a great fare find won't become as well known as those who post more often but perhaps on a broader range of topics over multiple fora and so their reputation won't build to the same level but that doesn't mean they are any less valuable a contributor but rather just participate differently.

I'm okay with us not having this type of tool in out FT toolbox, though that's merely MHO.
I'm a bit confused by this post in that having like button and displaying a (truncated) like list is very different from having a website calculate some reputation metric and display that rating. While likes are likely to be part of a reputation score, the two concepts are logically different in that each post could report likes without FT going beyond this to compute and reveal reputations. I thought the OP and others in this thread were talking about just having the possibility of a (truncated) list of likers at the bottom of each post.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Aug 17, 13, 8:30 am   #12
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
  
Join Date: Aug 2002
Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimePlatinum
Posts: 59,965
FWIW & IMO - some people will still post +1 or I agree even if there is a like button, so it's not going to eliminate a perceived problem.

Cheers.
SkiAdcock is offline  
Old Aug 17, 13, 10:49 am   #13
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending
  
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Posts: 46,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I'm a bit confused by this post in that having like button and displaying a (truncated) like list is very different from having a website calculate some reputation metric and display that rating. While likes are likely to be part of a reputation score, the two concepts are logically different in that each post could report likes without FT going beyond this to compute and reveal reputations. I thought the OP and others in this thread were talking about just having the possibility of a (truncated) list of likers at the bottom of each post.
Yes, OP did talk about "like" without linking it to some reputation metric as I've seen at work, for example, on MP but expected if FT was to upgrade that it would follow along similiar lines and not go part of the way with a "like" icon only.
tcook052 is offline  
Old Aug 17, 13, 11:06 am   #14
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles and Travel with Pets
  
Join Date: Sep 2000
Programs: DL GM, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 11,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarfa33 View Post
So this is how a post actually looks.



As you can see, the "like" list is truncated. Clicking on the "7 others" link will expand the list to show all of the usernames. Until you click it, though, the list remains short.

Personally, I like the functionality and have seen on other boards that it does seem to cut down on the posts that just say "+1" to something that someone said earlier. I also don't feel that it makes the screen look cluttered, but that's obviously IMHO.

-S
I have also seen this feature on other BB's and not only like it but use it.

+1

I rest my case!
RSSrsvp is online now  
Old Aug 25, 13, 9:40 pm   #15
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: ORD (MDW stinks)
Programs: UAMM, AA Plat, SPG lifetime Gold, IHG Spire/Ambassador, Hyatt & Diamond, Marriott Gold
Posts: 22,016
I see a big difference between like & +1

Like = you appreciate or value the post

+1 = you agree with the post, as in you have experience or knowledge with this issue & agree with the post

The two are very different.

I would also see the I-Like-That-Poster mentality & clicking like regardless if the post is of any real value.
--
Sweet Willie is offline  
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 
Forum Jump
Contact Us - FlyerTalk - Archive - Top