Suggest FT add “Like” button [implemented 9 Aug 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The new "Like" "button"

When you click on the "Like" button, it registers the handle of the user liking the post in a horizontal box immediately below the "Like" button. "Liking" a post also optionally sends a notification to the post owner. "Like" notifications appear in Your Control Panel in My FlyerTalk.

To turn the notification function on or off, look in Your Control Panel and Settings & Options under Messaging & Notification:

Likes Notifications:
  • Enable Likes Notifications
  • Disable Likes Notifications

NOTE: Editing a post causes the "Likes" to disappear for a short period of time. They are restored after that pause.

To report issues, problems etc. please visit this thread in the Technical Support and Feedback forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback/1863159-new-like-button-information-issues-discussion.html

LIST OF SUGGESTIONS, PROS and CONS discussed in thread:

Please add all your suggestions since implementation, August 9 2017:
  1. Modify Like button to take up less real estate - ie, put the button w/ the other buttons & likes under signatures or list only if hover
  2. Allow members to completely turn off the ability to see likes
  3. Use Helpful instead of Like
  4. Completely eliminate Like button
  5. Do not display handles of those who Liked the post

"Some FTers are supportive of like/helpful button. Some are not. Some on both sides of the issue have questions, concerns and/or need more info. This wiki attempts to highlight them in bullet format/"cliff notes" version from the 566 posts made in prior Talkboard thread, which had 700 posts. More detailed information regarding the pros/cons/questions/concerns/info can be garnered by reading the entire thread, where FTers on both sides of the like/helpful button have been eloquent/provided valuable input. When TalkBoard last polled FT members, the result of the poll was in favour of introducing likes (by a considerable margin)

Pros:
* Make Flyertalk more modern/more like Facebook, LinkedIn and many other social media sites
* A like/helpful button would minimize unnecessary replies such as +1.
* Streamlines posts
* The value add of showing likes, helpful votes, etc. is that it can surface good content and get more views for it
* Positive feedback incentivizes quality content/FTers will post more
* Some people won’t take time to write a thank you but will post a like
* Those with more likes/helpfuls are considered knowledgable

Cons:
* Makes Flyertalk more like Facebook/dumbs it down
* FT had rating system here years ago and it did not go well
* System can be gamed/cliques develop
* Clutters up posts/takes up valuable screen space
* Will not eliminate +1s/+1s also provide positive feedback
* Posts that have inaccurate info can also get likes/doesn't mean poster is knowledgable
* If FTers post info & it doesn't get likes/helpfuls, less incentive to post more
* Some who might have posted info in the past will now just post like, so less information provided to other FTers.

Questions, concerns about how it will work, and/or information based on brief internal trial already done (trial done last time it came up for discussion)
* If implemented, can FTers who prefer not to utilize the like/helpful button turn it off so that they don't see it at all?
* Is there a software way to separate likes of posts from posters? (Limited trial indicates no; don't know if software can be changed to do so)
* Can a post/day count be implemented before implementing for FTers, similar Omni/CC? (Yes)
* Can certain forums have it turned off such as Omni? (No, current software is it's either all forums or none)
* If a sitewide trial is created, what are the metrics for success or failure?
* What is the goal of this/how will the data be used?
* If customization of current software is required, will this take away from development on other projects such as a better mobile app?
* Will or can there be a dislike/unhelpful button?
* What happens if a post that is "liked" gets its content edited and ends up having a different meaning than it initially had at the time the post was "liked"?
* Can threads or individual posts deemed helpful be bookmarked/saved?"

IBobi responded to theses comments and questions here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28664495-post59.html

Print Wikipost

Suggest FT add “Like” button [implemented 9 Aug 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:18 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by IBobi
* If implemented, can FTers who prefer not to utilize the like/helpful button turn it off so that they don't see it at all?

I doubt we would implement the "like" feature at all if it were not "always on," since making it user-selectable would largely defeat its purpose.
Then don't implement it.
These 'like' features always turn into a popularity contest and serve no useful purpose on any site I have ever seen them.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:21 am

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
I have been in favor of the like button before and like (pun intended) that it has been implemented. Here are my thoughts:

-With it not showing on your profile how many likes you've received that eliminates that whole clique/gaming/whatever kinda conversation. No need for that anyway.
-You can apparently turn it off so if you don't want to see it that option is there.

Here are my ideas for improvement:
-Turn it on in the OMNI forums, as others have mentioned no reason to have it off there at this point
-See below:

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Needs to be next to Quote - not above - it is in the wrong place.

Also needs to be in the same style as the other buttons with a thumbs up.

But change the icon for news to say a newspaper from a thumb.

Very well agreed (and liked).

One thing people have been complaining about is that it adds space. While yes it is true it isn't a lot by any means.

Here is how this could be solved:

Name:  FT2.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  204.7 KB

First one is unliked and second one is how it currently is when liked. Third one is something that I edited on paint: gets everything down below there and uses space that would otherwise be blank and no longer adds to the post when there is something liked. I think doing that will in turn get more people to keep the like function visible since it is at the very bottom and won't add to the length of the page.

I also made the actual like button to be more like the quote/news/etc. buttons. While I arbitrarily made the text there red (not the best choice as I look on it now) white would be fine of course and it should change to unlike in a different color when the post has already been liked by the user.

The plain text link in order to like the post is very out of touch in my opinion with the quote button etc. and changing that would make it look a lot more orderly. In turn the news button should probably have a newspaper icon or something else to differentiate itself from the like button.
jackal likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:34 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Nothing wrong with a like button - this is the 21st century after all
More like the dark ages.

This will likely lead to users just hitting 'like' rather then post more useful content.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Agree 100% with the above (and the others that said the same-- will reduce clutter and will help people figure out which posts have been deemed helpful to large #'s of members.
It will certainly show which views are "popular". It won't show which are factually correct.

There aren't really that many pure "+1" posts without additional comment - and shouldn't these actually get deleted for "post padding"?

It'll eat up a lot more screen space because the likes will show up on loads of posts. And why couldn't it just be anonymous?
Glad it was decided to be worth a try!
I'm afraid that the metric of success will be "people are using likes, so they must like the feature". That isn't necessarily the case. I've used likes on other site and on FB they have a different porpose. Liking a picture of XXX's cat doesn't mean the information is the least bit relevant.

And it still won't remove the clutter of "I would have given you 100 likes if that were possible" type posts. Lose-lose.

Originally Posted by Prospero
... where 60% of members who voted supported the implementation of a “Helpful” button feature; 38% were opposed to it and 2% registered no opinion.
So why isn't the button labelled "Helpful" (IMDB does this on reviews)? "Like" is something very different and doesn't discourage indiscriminate use.

Example: BA really sucks and I'll think twice about ever flying with them again because they changed the brand of champagne in F.

Will get lots of likes. Helpful?

And then we'll also see posts like: I gave you a like, hope you realize it was an "ironic like".

Last edited by cblaisd; Aug 11, 2017 at 10:04 am Reason: Merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:31 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I actually noticed the like "button" before I noticed the site wide announcement of the feature being launched. Anyway, since I didn't encounter any likes IRL (ie in the fora I usually visit) I didn't really care.

Now when I've seen it in action I just like to add my thoughts.

The implementation is rather clumsy. The like-button is not button but a text item.
And in fact, the most obvious graphic for a like button has already been used for the "News" button, and that makes me wonder a little bit about the decision process. Could it be that too many people have been clicking the News button believing it was "Like", that drove the quick adding of the like feature?

In contrast to the design of the "button", the like info element has been fancily styled. The idiom is rather unlike the rest of FT, and as such it gets in the way for the reading eye. It actually feels a bit like one of those disruptive signatures with multiple colours/font sizes. And those signatures are banned. The design of the like info element isn't bad per se - it just that it is not in line with the rest of the site.

As for the usefulness of the function - even though I am not sure opinions on to be / not to be matter at this point - I'd say it does nothing for me as poster and it annoys me as reader. Sure, it can convey instant gratification but I rather have one post saying "Thanks, that was really helpful" than a million likes.

Like I said initially, luckily it has not been used much in places where I usually go, and I currently feel unaffected. When I read a thread like this one though, I think I will be put off and stop reading a thread with more than occasional like info boxes.
jackal likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Can we just be clear that this, in its current 1995 iteration, is neither a button nor an icon?

It's the word "like" stuck over on the right side. It's as if IB only has a copy of FrontPage and HTML 2.0 to work with regarding this board.
jackal likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Prospero
The result of the poll conducted in the TalkBoard Topics forum two years certainly suggested a quiet majority were in favour, where 60% of members who voted supported the implementation of a “Helpful” button feature; 38% were opposed to it and 2% registered no opinion.
And I bet if there was a poll where ALL members were forced to respond to the poll (not that anyone in their right mind would advocate such a thing-- just an exaggerated hypothetical for the purposes of this discussion,) I bet the results would be more like:

10% (strongly) in favor, 10% (strongly) opposed, 80% no opinion.
aztimm likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Can we just be clear that this, in its current 1995 iteration, is neither a button nor an icon?

It's the word "like" stuck over on the right side. It's as if IB only has a copy of FrontPage and HTML 2.0 to work with regarding this board.
In case you want to post screenshots, make sure you use this method:

essxjay, JonNYC, Prospero and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Again, if someone knows how to turn the like feature off so that I don't have to read how many & who liked a post, please let me know via PM or email. I don't care who liked a post, whether it be mine or someone else. Seeing it disrupts my viewing of FT.

I think pretty much everyone (even those who support like) agrees the current iteration of like is a mess - the like on the right side within the post & not a button at the bottom. The such & such likes this in the middle of the post even before the signature. IMO this is a lot worse than occasional +1s.

Of course IB could also implement the 'win-win' option - make it opt out. Those who like likes can stay opted in & like to their hearts content. Those who don't want to see likes can opt out & continue to enjoy reading FT w/o having to view the likes. But that assumes IB would like to meet the needs of its entire FT population & not just one subset; not sure that's a valid assumption.

Cheers.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by sxc
This is the irony here. One of the main reasons for introducing "Like" was to declutter threads. Reduce the number of "+1" and "Thank you" posts which cluttered up threads.

Here is exactly an example where the like button could have negated the need to add clutter to a thread, and the "+1" is for a post about stopping clutter.
There's irony and then, there is IRONY. It seems like you missed the actual point of my post, but maybe you'll be able to figure it out at some point.

+1 ^ lives on.
sxc and GRALISTAIR like this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IBobi
It's been suggested many times but no community consensus has ever been reached that it is desired.
And now that community consensus has somehow been reached?

Or was it just determined that a community consensus was no longer necessary and this discussion is simply a waste of time?

Milepoint/Insideflyer has loads of "modern" bells and whistles. Didn't exactly make it successful.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Why it's not turned on in Omni is beyond me. I suspect it's to try to prevent the gaming that went on with the reputation feature.

Except the worst of the problem was not in Omni - it was in the Community forum and other M&P forums.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Is there an 'unlike' button in case you like something in error?

If not why not?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Why it's not turned on in Omni is beyond me. I suspect it's to try to prevent the gaming that went on with the reputation feature.
We've been told that like won't be gamed/abused, so there's no rational reason for the Omnis to be excluded from like. Unless they don't really believe that

Cheers.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Again, if someone knows how to turn the like feature off so that I don't have to read how many & who liked a post, please let me know via PM or email. I don't care who liked a post, whether it be mine or someone else. Seeing it disrupts my viewing of FT.

I think pretty much everyone (even those who support like) agrees the current iteration of like is a mess - the like on the right side within the post & not a button at the bottom. The such & such likes this in the middle of the post even before the signature. IMO this is a lot worse than occasional +1s.

Of course IB could also implement the 'win-win' option - make it opt out. Those who like likes can stay opted in & like to their hearts content. Those who don't want to see likes can opt out & continue to enjoy reading FT w/o having to view the likes. But that assumes IB would like to meet the needs of its entire FT population & not just one subset; not sure that's a valid assumption.

Cheers.
Nails it. The function has nothing of substance to add to my time spent on FT. I want to read what people write about and think about, not how many people like what was written.

I wasn't a big fan of the "who's most popular game" back in junior high school, and that hasn't changed in the 50 years since then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.