Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

PROMO: Q2 Promo: Get a free weekend night for every 2 stays + 1K DL or NW miles 9FWFN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PROMO: Q2 Promo: Get a free weekend night for every 2 stays + 1K DL or NW miles 9FWFN

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2009, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 2cents
Wow, I didn't mean for my comment to be offensive. I was just trying to point out that a competitor is far more accomodating...and I do give business to Hyatt instead of SPG, when possible, largely because of this difference.
Your question had been asked and answered by one of the Lurkers here some time ago in reference to questions emanating from myself and others on this topic. Therefore, it was no surprise when another poster brought this up recently in a separate thread that has been closed and perhaps even removed because of its raw emotions.

Hyat is Hyatt and SPG is SPG. Each has its strengths and weaknesses and each is permitted to fashion their program in the way they wish. Comparisons on such minor issues are unhelpful, especially since the answer to your "10 minutes to midnight" question was easily searchable in this forum.

Finally, I am not sure that Hyatt would be so accommodating to a person who asks them out of the blue on the last day of their promotion whose terms and conditions were well known for many months before, whether they could get an extension -- especially for no apparent reason.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 4:36 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by 2cents
Wow, I didn't mean for my comment to be offensive. I was just trying to point out that a competitor is far more accomodating...and I do give business to Hyatt instead of SPG, when possible, largely because of this difference.
So here's how I see it. Airlines and hotel loyalty programs face a choice: either establish a firm deadline and announce it loudly and clearly up front -- or -- establish a target deadline with some wiggle room for complainers, poor planners, and emergency situations on the tail end.

For decades (yes, decades), most airlines and hotel affinity programs chose the latter option. That meant consumers with either honest or totally bogus tales of woe could sneak in after the finish line.

From where I'm sitting, that's never been fair to the rest of us who play by the rules. We were all told clearly what the earning dates and redemption dates were for this promotion. It was known many many months ago. Each player in the promotion knew what the parameters were and we each made our decisions accordingly.

Similarly, grocery coupons expire and will not be accepted after the expiration date -- the same logic could applied here: "Why won't they let me use this $0.75 coupon? I could've used it yesterday up until midnight ... what's the big deal?!?"

I don't see Hyatt's choice to allow consumers to extend the terms of their latest promotion as a significant draw for anyone. It affects a miniscule percentage of their customer base and would in no way sway me towards nor away from their affinity program.

I stand with SPG on this one. Establish a firm plan up front, communicate it clearly to all and let the chips fall where they will.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 4:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by morerainplease
SPG is not living up to its side of the deal according to its own terms. And I quote, "Miles will post to the member's airline account 3–4 weeks after July 31, 2009."
I believe sbtinme was responding to the request for an extention, not the airline miles.

Last edited by mahasamatman; Sep 28, 2009 at 5:34 pm Reason: cut-and-paste error
Old Sep 28, 2009, 5:29 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, MVP Gold 75K, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I believe sbtinme View Post was responding to the request for an extention, not the airline miles.
It was a single promotion. With Ts and Cs on the same page.

https://www.spgpromos.com/weekends/t...EEKEND_LTOPAGE

As I understand the argument, the point is that the terms were clear and everyone should have been prepared to follow them. Which is a good point. Except that SPG has not followed their own terms.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 6:18 pm

My second 1,000 miles posted today with a backdate to 9/2/2009.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 6:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
All my missing miles (4,000 of them) posted. I guess the non-squeaky wheel gets the grease...
Old Oct 1, 2009, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA-P, B6, DL, SW, SPG_M-P, AGR-S+
My missing 2,000 miles have posted as well (backdated to 9/2). I'm thankful this is finally resolved. Now I can clear the spreadsheet entry.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 10:34 pm
Suspended

It was a single promotion. With Ts and Cs on the same page.

https://www.spgpromos.com/weekends/t...EEKEND_LTOPAGE

As I understand the argument, the point is that the terms were clear and everyone should have been prepared to follow them. Which is a good point. Except that SPG has not followed their own terms.
Is this a capital offense? Are you going to swear off SPG from now on?

Please give it a rest.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 11:05 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, MVP Gold 75K, HH Gold
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Please give it a rest.
Everyone, please keep your opinions to yourselves. Only the (self) important people should be expressing themselves.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 7:21 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Thank you again SPG and DL. Another great promo. Or should I say double combo. Looking forward to the next $et of promotion$ to capture our dollar$.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 7:36 am
Suspended

Everyone, please keep your opinions to yourselves. Only the (self) important people should be expressing themselves.
Res Ipsa Loquitir.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 8:10 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, Delta, SPG Gold, Marriott Sil., Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, PC Platinum Ambassador
I'm just glad to see the final 3000 points show up...no matter how long it takes to post, I hope they do the promotion again in the future
Old Oct 2, 2009, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat (2MM), Marriott LT Titanium
My extra 25,000 miles all posted, great promotion. Re-earned SPG Plat and got 26k miles on Delta to boot.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 7:17 pm
used to be 'Flyfarfar'

Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG
My 28k miles have posted to my account..

Great promotion SPG. This really influenced my stay pattern during the promotion period.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 7:51 pm

Programs: US PP, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Dia, ICH Plat
award stays

did anyone else get the 1000 Delta bonus for SPG award stays......I was not expecting those but will gladly accept!

Foy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.