Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Starwood hotel in Atlanta?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:42 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by CNWO4LIFE
Does anyone know when the Aloft Downtown Atlanta will open?
By the way, it now appears they are taking reservations for April 24 and on. The rate was $109 for that night, but it has since gone up. They are set to open on April 3, so any reservations between opening day and the first day of online reservations will need to be made at the property (and obviously will be subject to the normal opening day push). I may try and get over there for opening night.

I was actually quite surprised to see this hotel as a Category 4. The Westin is a Category 4 and the Sheraton is a Category 3, so I suppose this has to do with the "new shine" on it. If I happen to be on foot near the hotel soon, I will snap a photo or two.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by jibi
By the way, it now appears they are taking reservations for April 24 and on. The rate was $109 for that night, but it has since gone up. They are set to open on April 3, so any reservations between opening day and the first day of online reservations will need to be made at the property (and obviously will be subject to the normal opening day push). I may try and get over there for opening night.

I was actually quite surprised to see this hotel as a Category 4. The Westin is a Category 4 and the Sheraton is a Category 3, so I suppose this has to do with the "new shine" on it. If I happen to be on foot near the hotel soon, I will snap a photo or two.
Thanks.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 8:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by CLEguy
What were you dressed as?
LOL. I don't think anyone got that! I did!
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:58 pm

That weekend is ugh. I used to go to DragonCon many years ago, but with all of the extra events (CFA Kickoff Classic, black gay pride parade, NASCAR, etc.), I tend to stay at home and usually work from home that Thursday and Friday. Auburn plays Louisville in the Classic next season, so we'll be up for that...
Old Mar 29, 2014, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by CNWO4LIFE
Thanks.
It looks like things are somewhat ahead of schedule. They have now opened up reservations two weeks earlier beginning on 4/10 (one week after the 4/3 opening). Based on the looks of things from this past week, they look like they are ready to open and I must say that they've done a great job with the renovation. I really wish they'd get our corporate rates loaded, as this hotel at ~$130 is still above our rates at the Westin, W, and Sheraton... unfortunately these are negotiated rates and the Aloft is not typically a "preferred" hotel, so I doubt we'll see any changes until later this year.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, DL
Sorry to resurrect an old thread...

I have a conference in the convention center downtown this coming fall and am looking for a Starwood property to maximize my plt status. It looks like my options are the same as when this thread was started, except an aLoft will be added (a brand I'm not too find of). Is the consensus still to rank as:
1) W Downtown
2) Westin
3) Sheraton
Or have there been new changes which would prompt reordering (Sheraton get an upgrade? Westin windows finally repaired?)
Old Apr 2, 2014, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dtwdoc
Sorry to resurrect an old thread...

I have a conference in the convention center downtown this coming fall and am looking for a Starwood property to maximize my plt status. It looks like my options are the same as when this thread was started, except an aLoft will be added (a brand I'm not too find of). Is the consensus still to rank as:
1) W Downtown
2) Westin
3) Sheraton
Or have there been new changes which would prompt reordering (Sheraton get an upgrade? Westin windows finally repaired?)
If being upgraded is is your ultimate goal, the Westin PCC is the top choice numerous suites of varying size. Then the Sheraton then the W, which has very few suites.

If you need a lounge, then the Sheraton is top choice, it's the only downtown/midtown/Buckhead Starwood property with a lounge. Second would then be the Westin. Third the W.

I would also suggest reading the individual threads for each property.
Old May 19, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred; SPG Platinum
Hey all,

My friends and I do a baseball stadium trip every year, and this year we chose Atlanta. We're going for a weekend mid-July. I have a boat load of SPG points, and was wondering what property everyone would recommend. We'd like to be in a cool spot in the city to check out the night life, but also be in a spot somewhat convenient to Turner Field. Definitely more concerned about the night life though

Thanks for the input.
Old May 19, 2014, 11:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by abracadaver
Hey all,

My friends and I do a baseball stadium trip every year, and this year we chose Atlanta. We're going for a weekend mid-July. I have a boat load of SPG points, and was wondering what property everyone would recommend. We'd like to be in a cool spot in the city to check out the night life, but also be in a spot somewhat convenient to Turner Field. Definitely more concerned about the night life though

Thanks for the input.
More question will help us help you:
  • How many people are in your party?
  • How many people do you plan to have in your room?
  • Other than going to the game and wanting "night life" what else will you be doing in the city?
  • What type of nightlife?
  • What is your preferred SPG brand?
  • Will you have a car?
Old May 19, 2014, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
More question will help us help you:
  • How many people are in your party?
  • How many people do you plan to have in your room?
  • Other than going to the game and wanting "night life" what else will you be doing in the city?
  • What type of nightlife?
  • What is your preferred SPG brand?
  • Will you have a car?
Thanks for the response. There will be 3 of us total, so 3 in the room. I have suite nights available, but thinking it might not be smart since suites usually don't have 2 double beds. We're not "clubbers" by any means, just some cool bars and good food would be nice! Besides that, maybe some Atlanta sightseeing. I don't really have a preferred brand, but would rather not use 10k-12k/night on a room. Will probably just rely on taxis & public trans for transportation.
Old May 19, 2014, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Thanks for the response. There will be 3 of us total, so 3 in the room. I have suite nights available, but thinking it might not be smart since suites usually don't have 2 double beds. We're not "clubbers" by any means, just some cool bars and good food would be nice! Besides that, maybe some Atlanta sightseeing. I don't really have a preferred brand, but would rather not use 10k-12k/night on a room. Will probably just rely on taxis & public trans for transportation.
Because you want 3 in a room, I'm going to suggest the Westin Peachtree. They have a large number of suites. You probably wont need to use a SNA, but I would use them to secure a double bedded suite which I know they have. There is virtually no night life around, but it's in the center of the city and easy access to Turner Field, and a short cab ride to Midtown, Edgewood or Inman Park eateries and bars. Olympic Centennial park is a 5 min walk away.

I can't give you a 2nd or 3rd option because I don't know of any properties that have double bedded suites, other than the Sheraton Suites Galleria, but that property doesn't meet your requirements.
Old May 19, 2014, 5:06 pm

Thanks again for the reply. Unfortunately, it looks like the PeachTree is sold out for my requested dates. Any other recommendations?

Looks like the W Atlanta Downtown and the Sheraton Atlanta (cheaper!) are available...any thoughts on those?

I suppose a suite isn't necessary...
Old May 19, 2014, 5:09 pm
Suspended

Thanks again for the reply. Unfortunately, it looks like the PeachTree is sold out for my requested dates. Any other recommendations?
Even if you break it down into one day stays?

Try the Sheraton Downtown, but I have no idea what the suites are like. Check the Master Thread for that property.
Old May 19, 2014, 9:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Hey all,

Thanks for the input.
I think why some of us might be having some problems giving you a good answer is because Atlanta is spread out. "Downtown" is probably not where you want to be, and Outside the Perimeter (OTP) is prohibitively far from anything worthwhile. Buckhead or Midtown are better bets.

I can't recommend Westin Peachtree. Too many mixed experiences there, but you might want to stop by the Sundial. Sheraton Atlanta is boring. Either W (Downtown or Buckhead) are better options, IME.

Turner Field in mid-July? Hope you have seats in the shade...

Last edited by EkekoBWI; May 19, 2014 at 9:44 pm
Old May 19, 2014, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Hey all,

Thanks for the input.
Westin or W Buckhead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.