Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Starwood hotel in Atlanta?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by jibi
Do yourself a favor and head down to the Clermont Lounge (look it up on Google). It will be closer to the Midtown location, although you'll still need to grab a taxi (don't drive, as I will guarantee that you will be in no condition to drive back to the hotel). The Clermont is a rite of passage in Atlanta and it is very rare that a group of guys/college buds go there and not have one of the most incredible and fun experiences in their collective lives. This is perhaps one of the greatest (and infamous) dive bars in the country that just happens to double as a strip club, although you do not - I repeat - do not go there for beautiful women on a stage. It is more of an experience. If you're looking for a unique experience that is tons of fun (or can be ... keep pounding cheap bear and just have a great time), make sure this is one of your afternoons/evenings.
I cannot believe you even brought this up! Ok, if you go to the clermont, wear clothes that you can throw away as they will be yellow with nicotine and tar from smoke. You will need to actually like PBR cause drinking anything else in there will cause others to stare at you. The women(if they can be called that) that are dancing(if you can call it that) will be something you will NEVER forget. A trip to the Clermont is not for the faint of heart, but I think he and his two buddies can handle it.^

BTW, they are remodeling the Clermont hotel. Wonder if SPG has any intrest?
Old May 21, 2014, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
[*]The W Buckhead a property with only 4 or 5 suites and super small rooms and designed like a woman hotel. As a man, a gay man, I will NOT stay there again, nor suggest any elite to, because of bad platinum recognition. The rooms and the layout of the bathrooms is not appropriate for one, let alone three people.
Well that does it for me as well. I will NOT stay there again either! Seriously, I did try the place twice and besides the restaurant being good, I will never stay again as well.
Old May 22, 2014, 7:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by abracadaver
I think I'm set on Midtown or Buckhead.

Just called the platinum line and ended up with 2 rooms on hold:

One at the W Buckhead. 2 Queen beds. and one at the W Midtown. 2 Queen Beds. Suite upgrade only available at the Buckhead location.

Westin Buckhead was unavailable unfortunately.

Any thoughts?
I'm telling you now avoid the Buckhead W. Read the master thread on that property.
Old May 22, 2014, 7:26 am
Suspended

The Buckhead location is a little better for general bar hopping. The Midtown location will be better for a more eclectic crowd and a lot of bar options. Both are within walking distance of a few bars, although the Midtown location is more walk-friendly as a whole. It is literally a couple blocks from the Crescent area bars and a few other areas.

Do yourself a favor and head down to the Clermont Lounge (look it up on Google). It will be closer to the Midtown location, although you'll still need to grab a taxi (don't drive, as I will guarantee that you will be in no condition to drive back to the hotel). The Clermont is a rite of passage in Atlanta and it is very rare that a group of guys/college buds go there and not have one of the most incredible and fun experiences in their collective lives. This is perhaps one of the greatest (and infamous) dive bars in the country that just happens to double as a strip club, although you do not - I repeat - do not go there for beautiful women on a stage. It is more of an experience. If you're looking for a unique experience that is tons of fun (or can be ... keep pounding cheap bear and just have a great time), make sure this is one of your afternoons/evenings.

By the way, neither of these two hotels have good Platinum recognition. The Midtown location is better (likely a high floor room, if anything). The Buckhead location will essentially spit on your Platinum card and smile about it. You may need to get pushy for an upgrade, but it doesn't really sound like you care one way or the other, so that's good.

Enjoy our city! It is not one of the greatest in the land, but Atlanta has a LOT of variety and diversity for being in the heart of the South, whether the interest is music, food, entertainment, culture, or just about anything else. With all of the recent movies being filmed in the city, a lot of people have already seen much of our city without ever visiting it. Lastly, the Braves stadium is in an interesting part of town (and that is the main reason they are moving in a couple years to the northern suburbs) ... it is safe, but just keep your eyes open (not much different than most major cities where a lot of professional teams' call "home").
LMAO on the Cleremont Lounge
Old May 22, 2014, 7:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
I'm telling you now avoid the Buckhead W. Read the master thread on that property.
Seconded. Since the Westin Buckhead isn't available (and is definitely preferable to the W Buckhead), you should stick with the W Midtown.

And yes, go to the Clermont. Make sure you've sufficiently imbibed prior to arrival. It's something special.
Old May 22, 2014, 8:02 am
Suspended

Do you have a SET code? I've never had a SET code help as much as it does in ATL. (Probably a dumb question, because if you did, you would have looked already).

+1 to Cleremont
Old May 22, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
Agreed. Midtown W is much better for a whole host of reasons.

Old May 23, 2014, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greathustle
Agreed. Midtown W is much better for a whole host of reasons.
My last trip there I got lucky and was given a Marvelous suite.
Old May 24, 2014, 8:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CNWO4LIFE
I always get good upgrades at this property!
Old May 25, 2014, 8:27 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by CNWO4LIFE
I'm glad this was talking about the W Midtown and not the Clermont...
Old May 26, 2014, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm glad this was talking about the W Midtown and not the Clermont...
Me too!
Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Star Alliance Gold/UA Premier Exec
SPG in atlanta?

I am also looking for a recommendation....have read through the master threads with no great conclusion. My husband and I are taking a few days to be tourists in Atlanta in December. We generally like the Ritz (and get amazing upgrades) but we'd rather save the $300 a night and use some SPG points. I am debating between the Ws - Midtown & downtown, and the Westin Buckhead. important to us:

1) near transit - I don't think we want to rent a car
2) safe, walkable area - restaurants and shops right near by
3) convenient to tourist things, possibly easy to get out to buckhead (we might have a lunch out there)
4) don't care about the lounge or SPG recognition

I'm not a big fan of the Westin (too generic, horrible products) or the W but I don't want to pay up for the St. Regis. Would Downtown or Midtown be a better area?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scorpio29
I am also looking for a recommendation....have read through the master threads with no great conclusion. My husband and I are taking a few days to be tourists in Atlanta in December. We generally like the Ritz (and get amazing upgrades) but we'd rather save the $300 a night and use some SPG points. I am debating between the Ws - Midtown & downtown, and the Westin Buckhead. important to us:

1) near transit - I don't think we want to rent a car
2) safe, walkable area - restaurants and shops right near by
3) convenient to tourist things, possibly easy to get out to buckhead (we might have a lunch out there)
4) don't care about the lounge or SPG recognition

I'm not a big fan of the Westin (too generic, horrible products) or the W but I don't want to pay up for the St. Regis. Would Downtown or Midtown be a better area?
1,2,and 3 would meet the criteria of the Westin and W Buckhead. W Downtown is also close to transit and tourist areas as well.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I think the midtown W would be fun for adults, especially if this isn't your first visit to Atlanta.

IMO one of the advantages of the Westin Buckhead is its lounge (and its art and location). If you won't use the lounge much or won't be there for evening appetizers, then there's less point to staying here. BTW, the W Buckhead is almost next door and equally close to MARTA. Sometimes it's cheaper.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Star Alliance Gold/UA Premier Exec
I think the midtown W would be fun for adults, especially if this isn't your first visit to Atlanta.

IMO one of the advantages of the Westin Buckhead is its lounge (and its art and location). If you won't use the lounge much or won't be there for evening appetizers, then there's less point to staying here. BTW, the W Buckhead is almost next door and equally close to MARTA. Sometimes it's cheaper.
Thanks for the advice. I guess the Westin Buckhead is out. The reviews on here in the master thread for the W Buckhead have scared me off a bit, but a lot of that is due to Plats not getting their suite. Is there much to do in Buckhead though? I know the hotels are near a mall/food/shopping, but it looks pretty standard. As it is our first time to Atlanta we want to be somewhere not too much like the rest of America...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.