Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Starwood hotel in Atlanta?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by spmosley
As far as 'The Peach', pop on over for lunch/dinner at the Sundial but don't waste any nights staying there -- it's old and not in the best shape.
Interesting enough, the Sun Dial was not Atlanta's first rotating restaurant. The same architect that designed the Peach, John Portman, designed the Hyatt Regency a mile away. Unfortunately, Polaris was closed a few years back. It was once the tallest building in the city, but you can barely even see it in the skyline these days (and thus the reason Polaris won't be opening back up, most likely).
Old Jul 5, 2012, 4:02 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Thanks for all the suggestions. I actually had a quick night last year at the Westin Buckhead, but I arrived late and left early so didn't really have time to check it out properly. Only got a 'nicer' room that time, no suites.

Looks like it'll be between the W Midtown and the W Downtown vs the Buckhead again. I'll have to check prices and options and maybe hop over to the St Regis to finish the trip off...

So is the Sheraton Downtown the only place with a lounge?

We'll be there in a couple of weeks.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 4:07 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by jibi
I used to be a fan of W hotels until I encountered the 'tude in New York and Chicago. The W Downtown Atlanta is the only domestic W-branded hotel I will stay at now.
I must say my own experiences with the W were at Time Square and San Francisco, so I paid top dollar for a shoebox. I did get a corner room at Time Square, but it's very expensive even by NYC standard.

However, I did pay for my folks to stay at the W Hong Kong and got a big suite and they were impressed. I digress...
Old Jul 5, 2012, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by Helloyellow
This thread comes at perfect timing. We are heading to Atlanta for a quick 3 night trip and have booked 2 nights at the St Regis. Confirmed suite night award, didn't want to risk an upgrade there. We might stay at the Westin Buckhead the first night from the suggestions here. Arriving so late the first night we can certainly save the money/points and then head over to the St Regis the next day.

Will have to check out the Heirloom Market BBQ- thanks for the suggestion
If you are flying in and it is late stay at the Westin or Sheraton Airport. Dirt cheap, and you will only be there for the night. And they will pick you up to boot.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 6:13 am

Programs: SPG Plat
At the St. Regis now, it really is a must to stay here when coming to Atlanta . They normally have 1 cash and points option per week and yOu should spend at least 2 nights here. Room is extraordinary, service is impeccable and overall a lovely hotel. You can tell the employees take pride in working here and that is what makes all the difference. Westin buckhead is 1 mile away and there is tons of shopping and lots of restaurants.

We will be back!
Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:23 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
i did STR on a free night two years ago and it was incredible. you can get it for a fairly reasonable price during the summer (less than $250). free bentley service for immediate area, too, i believe.

Westin Buckhead is convenient to most everything around there. was really hoping there would be the annual travelzoo special there this year. also a nice hotel.

if MARTA's rail service didn't suck so bad, Westin Buckhead would be a no-brainer.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 11:31 am

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
Originally Posted by spmosley
My two cents:
I've stayed at all of the Atlanta properties -- W Midtown is best for upgrades. I've never had a 'meaningful' upgrade at W Downtown though the property is newer.
Funny you mention that, because my experience is exactly the opposite. Stayed Midtown approx 30 times in the last year and was upgraded maybe 4 or 5. Stayed downtown 7 or 8 times and was upgraded all but 2. I asked about it once, after another upgrade downtown, and the check-in agent said that they prioritize plats differently at the two hotels. Midtown uses your rate as the tiebreaker, while Downtown uses your spending history at the hotel. No idea if this is true or not, but it made sense to me because my corporate rate is probably the lowest they offer, but I rack up some mini-bar and bar tabs.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrredskin
Westin Buckhead is convenient to most everything around there. was really hoping there would be the annual travelzoo special there this year. also a nice hotel.

if MARTA's rail service didn't suck so bad, Westin Buckhead would be a no-brainer.
They have a AAA Hot rate for $125, which includes parking a 2000 point bonus.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 1:39 am

Programs: DL DM/ SPG Double Platinum/ Hyatt Diamond/ HH Gold/ Exec Elite Emerald/ "MATTERHORN VIP" Aspirant
W Midtown is my absolute fav based on brand and location... Got a standard plat upgrade to Presidential Suite at Sheraton downtown (they treated me like I was their only guest, which probably wasn't that far of a stretch). Westin Peachtree was cool when I had meetings in King Tower, plus it was designed by John C. Portman on the heels of his success with the premier Hyatt Regency.

Just never, ever stay at Sheraton Gateway... that place blows- especially when there's a Westin down the street.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Siriusly
W Midtown is my absolute fav based on brand and location... Got a standard plat upgrade to Presidential Suite at Sheraton downtown (they treated me like I was their only guest, which probably wasn't that far of a stretch). Westin Peachtree was cool when I had meetings in King Tower, plus it was designed by John C. Portman on the heels of his success with the premier Hyatt Regency.

Just never, ever stay at Sheraton Gateway... that place blows- especially when there's a Westin down the street.
Yeah, but you can find rates at the Sheraton Gateway for $65 at times.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 8:43 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by CNWO4LIFE
They have a AAA Hot rate for $125, which includes parking a 2000 point bonus.
details???

nmind... found it on spg

Last edited by mrredskin; Jul 12, 2012 at 8:56 am
Old Mar 23, 2013, 6:36 pm
Suspended

SPG in Atlanta

Did a search of the forum, didn't find an answer to this specific question.

There are 14 (!) SPG hotels in the ATL area. Looking for an FT member that has stayed at more than a few and can comment on which they prefer. Trying to book a room for a long weekend next month and the possibilities are endless.

I prefer St. Regis, Le Meridien, and Westin to the W line, but the W Midtown has pretty decent reviews and the location can't be beat. I'll stay at a W if it's "one of the better" Ws (so many reviews of run-down and/or snotty-staffed Ws lately..).

Two most important factors: (1) would like to keep price below $200/night; and (2) location is important (prefer Midtown over Perimeter).

Any insight would be helpful.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:52 am

Programs: DELTA PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, etc.
It's all about location - not sure what you plan to do in ATL, but midtown is where I would want to be if you plan to walk around, explore, dine, etc. So the W midtown would be the pick. It's a fine hotel, converted from sheraton a few years ago. The W downtown is also an option. Not as good a location, but still walkable. New construction as W, so very modern, floor-to-ceiling glass, great pool, etc. The Westin Peachtree Plaza is legendary and in an OK location- I like it even though it shows its age in places. Those would be my 3 choices if you plan to walk around. If you want free parking and plan to drive, I can't really help- though I know the Le Meridien is brand new(ly renovated) so that might be cool.

Adding -- re: Buckhead hotels (St. Regis, W Buckhead) - if you want to shop at malls, those would be good choices. Otherwise not that much going on in buckhead any more.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:37 am

Location: Somewhere Over the Rainbow with a Seat in the Fully Reclined Position
Programs: UA Global Services, UA 2 MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Honors, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Follow Mike's advice ...

Mike's direction is spot on. The one other selling point that I like for the W Mid-Town is it is right near the park and great nightlife. Plus, if you have any status with SPG you are likely to get a suite upgrade at the property.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:58 am

I'm not a W guy - I'm old, a teetotaler, business-only traveler, and occasionally wear khaki (color). But I thought the Midtown W was great. Splendid location. The bar scene never "got to me". No upgrade for me. But no meaningful complaints.

I've "done time" on the Perimeter. Atlanta traffic can be tough and it probably ain't where you want to be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.