Wiki Posts
Search

Which Starwood hotel in Atlanta?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2014, 10:08 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by CNWO4LIFE
Westin or W Buckhead.
Assuming you're referring toThe Westin Buckhead Atlanta?
Old May 19, 2014, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by abracadaver
Assuming you're referring toThe Westin Buckhead Atlanta?
Yes. Lots to do in a small area.
Old May 20, 2014, 10:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Exclamation

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
I think why some of us might be having some problems giving you a good answer is because Atlanta is spread out. "Downtown" is probably not where you want to be, and Outside the Perimeter (OTP) is prohibitively far from anything worthwhile. Buckhead or Midtown are better bets.

I can't recommend Westin Peachtree. Too many mixed experiences there, but you might want to stop by the Sundial. Sheraton Atlanta is boring. Either W (Downtown or Buckhead) are better options, IME.

Turner Field in mid-July? Hope you have seats in the shade...
Originally Posted by CNWO4LIFE
Westin or W Buckhead.
The Buckhead area is not conducive based on his requirements. He will have THREE PEOPLE in his room.

• The W Downtown doesn't have very many suites, and none with double beds. Although they have double bedded basic rooms that look small. I think they have one or two cool corner rooms that are doubles, but I cannot remember. That may suit his needs but that room is going to be tight for three people.
  • The Sheraton ATL may be boring but may fit his requirements. Like the other downtown properties, its convenient to the stadium and there are decent restaurant in downtown/midtown to eat, drink, party and sight see.
  • The W Buckhead a property with only 4 or 5 suites and super small rooms and designed like a woman hotel. As a man, a gay man, I will NOT stay there again, nor suggest any elite to, because of bad platinum recognition. The rooms and the layout of the bathrooms is not appropriate for one, let alone three people.
  • The Westin Buckhead only had king suites. One large Gov. Suite and few parlor suites and a hand full of Junior Suites

The nightlife in the uckhead area is iffy at best. Our resident ATL expert can speak more to that.

I suggested the WPP because I know they have double bedded suites and at least two bathrooms.
Old May 20, 2014, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Interesting how few are recommending, let alone mentioning, the SR...
Old May 20, 2014, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Question

Originally Posted by pricesquire
Interesting how few are recommending, let alone mentioning, the SR...
Because of the needs of the OP. If I'm going back and forth to Turner Field, I wouldn't want to trek to Buckhead.

Does the St. Regis have suites that can accommodate three people without the OP spending 10-12k points a night?
Old May 20, 2014, 11:09 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Because of the needs of the OP. If I'm going back and forth to Turner Field, I wouldn't want to trek to Buckhead.

Does the St. Regis have suites that can accommodate three people without the OP spending 10-12k points a night?
The St. Regis Suite is the typical upgrade for Plats, but wedding season is usually in full swing and the summer months can be hit and miss. If he can book into the Metropolitan suite, it has a 2Q option (so close arrangements for two of the friends). Each of the rooms I've stayed in feature a chaise or a love seat, so that's not really an option. The St. Regis Suite is a 1K only configuration, but it has plenty of room for a rollaway, if they offer that. The non-suite upgrade is generally to the Grand Deluxe, which has the awesome balcony but is a 1K only configuration, too (perhaps one of the best balconies for a "standard" room in the chain ... although they have nothing on the Astor suite balconies at this hotel, of course).

If it was still at the lower level, I would just book a second room (if points were the best available option), but that is not really a favorable option after the recent category bump. My company discount there makes it difficult to justify points at all, especially on weekend stays, so I've always booked paid stays when we decide to stay in the city for fun.

I think the Downtown properties are great for proximity to Turner Field. The Sheraton has the most direct route, but the Westin and W are about 2 minutes further at best. MARTA does not run trains to Turner Field directly, but there is a shuttle that runs from Five Points station (the central hub). This is within easy walking distance of the Sheraton and Westin.

However, since the night life is the priority, what do you want in night life? Do you want to go to a club or a bar? If club, what kind of club do you prefer (electronic, urban, circuit, etc.)? If bar, what kind of scene do you prefer (sports, country, rock, etc.)? Atlanta has a lot of options, but Downtown is hit and miss depending on the year and the scene.

If you want a club or live music experience in Atlanta today, look on a calendar and see what area of town offers something you like and set up roots nearby. You will likely focus on Buckhead and Midtown unless you simply want to grab beers at a bar or would prefer a more "urban" scene, in which case Downtown will cater to those preferences.

It is not July and it is not a weekend, but Weezer will be at the Braves-Dodgers game on August 12. We try and go to at least one game a year and it is generally a live band or music act, such as the All-American Rejects and B.o.B. in recent years. We get back from our Europe trip on August 12, so we won't be able to make that game, unfortunately.
Old May 20, 2014, 11:24 pm

If you're coming for the Cubs weekend, definitely get Terrace level seats with cover (200-level behind home plate). You can always go to Top of the Chop and enjoy drinks and an outfield view, if you want. If you're coming for the Phillies weekend, the sun will be a little more forgiving for the Friday/Saturday night games and the Outfield Pavilion seats are my favorites for that situation. Those are my preferences if I'm paying for a game or using company-provided ticket vouchers, although we have department tickets on the first row of a 200-level section (with an added bonus of extra leg room and feet rests from the rails) and sometimes one of our suites is unoccupied and may trickle down to the worker grunts.
Old May 21, 2014, 9:00 am

Appreciate all of the input. Having a suite isn't a huge deal. I'm taking the trip with 2 of my good friends/college buddies. We're used to toughing it out in tight corners. Getting a 2 double bed standard room w/ a cot would be just fine. Just looking for the best area to stay in. Not into the "club" scene but enjoy a good night out bar hopping. We'll only be heading to the ballpark twice so that's not a high priority either.
Old May 21, 2014, 9:11 am
Suspended

Appreciate all of the input. Having a suite isn't a huge deal. I'm taking the trip with 2 of my good friends/college buddies. We're used to toughing it out in tight corners. Getting a 2 double bed standard room w/ a cot would be just fine. Just looking for the best area to stay in. Not into the "club" scene but enjoy a good night out bar hopping. We'll only be heading to the ballpark twice so that's not a high priority either.
Keep checking the Westin, followed by Sheraton Downtown, The W Downtown and I forgot all about the new Aloft Downtown.
Old May 21, 2014, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Well, technically, I'm the OP, and the thread was started w/ the intent to be more of a general FAQ on SPG's ATL properties, considering how many there are in ATL proper. I understand that a thread like this will inevitably turn into a bunch of property specific questions--thats fine, and expected. I know most of the last posts regard abracadaver's ballpark trip. (On that note, I've seen the W Buckhead recommended to abracadaver...)

My comment was more directed towards the thread in general (which the SR is hardly ever recommended, compared to ATL's other SPG properties).
Old May 21, 2014, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pricesquire
Well, technically, I'm the OP, and the thread was started w/ the intent to be more of a general FAQ on SPG's ATL properties, considering how many there are in ATL proper. I understand that a thread like this will inevitably turn into a bunch of property specific questions--thats fine, and expected. I know most of the last posts regard abracadaver's ballpark trip. (On that note, I've seen the W Buckhead recommended to abracadaver...)

My comment was more directed towards the thread in general (which the SR is hardly ever recommended, compared to ATL's other SPG properties).
I meant the OP in this series of questions. I should have specified abracadaver.

The St. Regis is a lovely property, but a niche market. Atlanta is over saturated with hotels, particularly SPG brands, the better value and benefit recognition can be found, IMO, at the Westin or W properties. Although I rarely stay at Sheraton properties I would expect the same for the Sheraton properties in ATL as they have lounges.
Old May 21, 2014, 1:50 pm
Suspended

I meant the OP in this series of questions. I should have specified abracadaver.

The St. Regis is a lovely property, but a niche market. Atlanta is over saturated with hotels, particularly SPG brands, the better value and benefit recognition can be found, IMO, at the Westin or W properties. Although I rarely stay at Sheraton properties I would expect the same for the Sheraton properties in ATL as they have lounges.
Gotcha.
Old May 21, 2014, 5:51 pm

I think I'm set on Midtown or Buckhead.

Just called the platinum line and ended up with 2 rooms on hold:

One at the W Buckhead. 2 Queen beds. and one at the W Midtown. 2 Queen Beds. Suite upgrade only available at the Buckhead location.

Westin Buckhead was unavailable unfortunately.

Any thoughts?
Old May 21, 2014, 6:17 pm
Suspended

I think I'm set on Midtown or Buckhead.

Just called the platinum line and ended up with 2 rooms on hold:

One at the W Buckhead. 2 Queen beds. and one at the W Midtown. 2 Queen Beds. Suite upgrade only available at the Buckhead location.

Westin Buckhead was unavailable unfortunately.

Any thoughts?
I'm with you on one thing: if I'm going to ATL, I'm staying in either Midtown or Buckhead (even if I have to drive to a ball game). Downtown and OTP just aren't viable options for a fun trip to ATL, in my opinion.

Can't comment as to the hotels you've picked, but I'm sure those around this forum can help ^
Old May 21, 2014, 7:16 pm

The Buckhead location is a little better for general bar hopping. The Midtown location will be better for a more eclectic crowd and a lot of bar options. Both are within walking distance of a few bars, although the Midtown location is more walk-friendly as a whole. It is literally a couple blocks from the Crescent area bars and a few other areas.

Do yourself a favor and head down to the Clermont Lounge (look it up on Google). It will be closer to the Midtown location, although you'll still need to grab a taxi (don't drive, as I will guarantee that you will be in no condition to drive back to the hotel). The Clermont is a rite of passage in Atlanta and it is very rare that a group of guys/college buds go there and not have one of the most incredible and fun experiences in their collective lives. This is perhaps one of the greatest (and infamous) dive bars in the country that just happens to double as a strip club, although you do not - I repeat - do not go there for beautiful women on a stage. It is more of an experience. If you're looking for a unique experience that is tons of fun (or can be ... keep pounding cheap bear and just have a great time), make sure this is one of your afternoons/evenings.

By the way, neither of these two hotels have good Platinum recognition. The Midtown location is better (likely a high floor room, if anything). The Buckhead location will essentially spit on your Platinum card and smile about it. You may need to get pushy for an upgrade, but it doesn't really sound like you care one way or the other, so that's good.

Enjoy our city! It is not one of the greatest in the land, but Atlanta has a LOT of variety and diversity for being in the heart of the South, whether the interest is music, food, entertainment, culture, or just about anything else. With all of the recent movies being filmed in the city, a lot of people have already seen much of our city without ever visiting it. Lastly, the Braves stadium is in an interesting part of town (and that is the main reason they are moving in a couple years to the northern suburbs) ... it is safe, but just keep your eyes open (not much different than most major cities where a lot of professional teams' call "home").

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.