Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Sheraton Nassau Beach Resort (left Starwood Dec 1, 2013) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE : Sheraton Nassau Beach Resort (left Starwood Dec 1, 2013) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2010, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by atxtraveler
Interesting... I have a screenshot of when I did the same thing just now for using points, and no such surcharge is listed. Just out of curiosity, did your complete details window pop up for a points stay?
No, I don't have enough points to simulate that. I didn't think it would change anything, but I guess that's possible...
Old Jan 22, 2010, 4:10 am

Programs: AA Plat for Life, Starwood Platinum, HH Gold
All details of surcharges (and there are three: two are taxes, and the other the $36/day) are listed by clicking through the stay details links for my upcoming C&P stay.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 6:05 am

When reading the fine print on my award stay here, they mention that I owe them $18 per person per day, plus a $6 bellman fee. I didn't use the bellman, and I was not informed of a $36 dollar per day charge that I would be responsible for in my booking. As I always do, I take screenshots of my booking screen where it clearly states that there are no additional fees.
Actually, the resort fees at this property are a well known fact. It is on the hotel's website. It has been thoroughly discussed on this forum. I mention it myself just a few posts back.

The OP may have a screenshot that does not show them, but it is NOT a screen shot "where it clearly states that there are no additional fees." (OP's words). In fact, it says there may well be additional fees. And they are clearly spelled out in the rate description of the booking.

I hate resort fees just as much as anyone. But the OP needs to take at least some responsibility for any lack of knowledge of them. To me it's like checking in and "dicovering" a property doesn't have a swimming pool or a lounge or something, when you didn't check about it before booking.

Cheers,
Old Jan 22, 2010, 6:59 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
Flews... thanks for a well sounded response. Yes, I agree it is my responsibility to do adequate research, I am just disappointed that it is not spelled out on the rate information anywhere regarding award stays. I thought I did enough research in booking, and even in my screenshots at time of booking, I promise you it says nothing about this fee. Furthermore, in alot of cases, the awards stays I have been on have not charged this fee, including some very nice SPG properties in French Polynesia. At the end of the day, I had a choice in which Caribbean Island location I chose, and I will not be choosing this one again. Why not just bump this up to a category 5 level of cost from a starpoints perspective, and skip the nickel and dime fees?
Old Jan 24, 2010, 11:33 am

Programs: AAdvantage 1MM, Starwood Gold
Flews... thanks for a well sounded response. Yes, I agree it is my responsibility to do adequate research, I am just disappointed that it is not spelled out on the rate information anywhere regarding award stays. I thought I did enough research in booking, and even in my screenshots at time of booking, I promise you it says nothing about this fee. Furthermore, in alot of cases, the awards stays I have been on have not charged this fee, including some very nice SPG properties in French Polynesia. At the end of the day, I had a choice in which Caribbean Island location I chose, and I will not be choosing this one again. Why not just bump this up to a category 5 level of cost from a starpoints perspective, and skip the nickel and dime fees?
I used SPG points for my stay at this property and made the reservation by phone. The surcharges were explained to me at the time I made the reservation. The fees were $18 per person per night, and a one-time $12 fee for the doorman/bellhop.

I wonder if other hotels also charge this fee. I ask because every restaurant we ate at automatically added the 15% fee as a tip -- normally I only see that here in the states for groups of 8 or more. Someone told me that the automatic tip/service charge was common in the Bahamas.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Mr. Bob
I used SPG points for my stay at this property and made the reservation by phone. The surcharges were explained to me at the time I made the reservation. The fees were $18 per person per night, and a one-time $12 fee for the doorman/bellhop.

I wonder if other hotels also charge this fee. I ask because every restaurant we ate at automatically added the 15% fee as a tip -- normally I only see that here in the states for groups of 8 or more. Someone told me that the automatic tip/service charge was common in the Bahamas.
Mr. Bob... I agree, I did find it interesting that everything we did had the mandatory "gratuity" added to it already. Nothing like double taxation! The sad part about this is, that the Sheraton itself lost a lot of business. We had planned on having a nice anniversary meal at the Italian restaurant downstairs, where they would have made much more than the $36 per person per night, plus any fruity beverages we enjoyed out at the pool. Instead we opted to head away from the resort as a little gratuity back to them and found much less expensive options, including Cafe Matisse downtown which was delicious.

Maybe I was a little critical of the location after the first blush, but oddly enough all the people who were supposed to get paid with that fee were by far the least helpful. Our room was not touched until 5pm each evening, the pool attendant enjoyed his paper for a couple more minutes before "getting around" to handing out towels, and 6 bellmen were standing shooting the breeze while I rolled my bags out past them to the taxi.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 8:01 pm

Staying here now after a good stay at the W New Orleans French Quarter over Mardi Gras.

The only Platinum recognition was presentation of the amenity choice card. When the check-in agent handed me our room key, I asked what sort of room we had, and he simply said a full ocean view, which it was, on the 9th (SPG) floor. I asked if any suites were available, and he said "no" (obviously a man of few words). Of course suites were readily available for sale on SPG.com, but I'm getting tired of the hassle of trying to argue the point at the front desk.

All of the other points about overpricing and double gratuities and tired decor and tired staff were true in our experience, and our mood wasn't helped by temperatures only in the mid '60s with a wind to boot.

We'll not be back, even with '80s temperatures.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by VanMan
Staying here now after a good stay at the W New Orleans French Quarter over Mardi Gras.

The only Platinum recognition was presentation of the amenity choice card. When the check-in agent handed me our room key, I asked what sort of room we had, and he simply said a full ocean view, which it was, on the 9th (SPG) floor. I asked if any suites were available, and he said "no" (obviously a man of few words). Of course suites were readily available for sale on SPG.com, but I'm getting tired of the hassle of trying to argue the point at the front desk.

All of the other points about overpricing and double gratuities and tired decor and tired staff were true in our experience, and our mood wasn't helped by temperatures only in the mid '60s with a wind to boot.

We'll not be back, even with '80s temperatures.
Sorry to hear about the weather. We have an upcoming stay so hope it warms up soon!

As for suite upgrades, I have found that even if a suite appears to be available for sale on the website, it doesn't necessarily mean it is a qualifying suite. This property, for example, has several kinds of suites, some of which are available for Plat upgrades, and others aren't.

It might also be this 'available' suite is 'available' at time of booking, but not necessarily 'available' for the entire duration of your stay. While some properties are deliberately stingy and should be challenged, often there are simply circumstances that we don't know about that impede the ability of a property to upgrade to a suite.

Still, you got a high floor, full ocean view room. So unless that is what you booked and paid extra for, that would still be a good upgrade at this particular property.

I am disappointed to service is still lacking. This was my experience two years ago. I have let management know my views. I hope you do too. The GM of this property is a good fellow - Hans Altenhoff - why don't you have a word with him so he can fix it?

I am suprised to hear the decor is "tired", since the whole property just underwent a massive renovation two years ago and everything is literally brand new.

I'm serious about following up with the GM. This property has real potential to be a real keeper. Your points are valid. So let's let them know we expect better.

Cheers,
Old Feb 19, 2010, 7:15 am

Programs: ??????????
anyone have an email address for the GM at this property? I'm headed there with my wife at the beginning of next month and wanted to see if there was anything they could do
Old Feb 19, 2010, 9:02 am

Just to clarify my comments re the state of the property. The in-room furniture is of good quality, and is in good condition. However, there are numerous cracks in the cornicing and around the door frame and the balcony door is liberally splattered with paint drops. As another poster has noted, service doors are frequently left open, exposing quite ugly "associates only" areas. There are no attempts to brighten up the public areas with accessories, plants, etc. Also, the grass areas around the pool area are in desperate need of expert tending...lots of ugly dried out patches.

I was surprised to find no mini-bar or fridge in the room. A small ice bucket is no substitute IMHO.

The good news is that wired in-room broadband is free.

There may be an opportunity to meet the GM today (Friday) at the regular 4:30 - 5:30 pm SPG gathering.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 10:21 am

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by VanMan
temperatures only in the mid '60s with a wind to boot.

I just left the Bahamas on Monday (was at the Atlantis, though), but it was also cold and ridiculously windy while I was there. Sorry to hear it hasn't warmed up, VanMan. If you're bored, Drifter's in the Fish Fry was a nice bad-weather diversion.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 4:23 pm

Just got back from the regularly scheduled Friday afternoon get together between some of the managers and SPG guests. This started at 4:30pm for a nominal one hour. Wine and Bahama Mamas were served, as well as a very decent buffet spread of cheese, sandwiches and a liver and bacon hot hors d'ouvres. There was also a substantial desert selection.

We also met for an extensive period with the Director of Marketing and the Director of Six-Sigma.

This was an extremely positive experience and interaction with two senior managers of the hotel.

Kudos to the Sheraton Nassau for providing this forum.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 7:15 am

Excellent! Now tell them to do something about the weather too. The Flews entourage is arriving next week, and our 22-month-old twins are too young to gamble! Right now the forecast is warmer but showers.

Seriously, I agree with the suggestion of going to the Fish Fry as a poor weather diversion; in fact, a good weather diversion too, especially if you like local food which the entire Flews' family does, including the ankle-biters.

Cheers,
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:13 am

We took the No 10 bus (jitney) outside the hotel, which runs every few minutes, for $1.25 each, to the Fish Fry (about 7 minutes). The Fish Fry is basically a street with over a dozen wall-to-wall seafood restaurants, between Downtown Nassau and the Sheraton.

We chose the "Twin Brothers"; sat outside in the sun (even though it was 67 in the shade) and enjoyed two great lobster and shrimp dishes with baked potato and corn for less than $30. The Margaritas were excellent too.!
Old Feb 25, 2010, 12:32 pm

Here now. First few days are cool, wet and windy, although the sun is out this afternoon. Playing tourist instead of beach & pool. Fish fry great as always.

Upgraded to a large, well appointed two bedroom ocean suite, with three huge balconies with great views North, East & West.

We find room service/food to be more than satisfactory; although disappointed in the blander, more 'American' lunch menu at the Dolphin Grill poolside. We liked the original, more 'Caribbean' menu much better.

So far service is great. Big improvement there. Although tipping heavily may have something to do with that.

Cheers,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.