Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Sheraton Nassau Beach Resort (left Starwood Dec 1, 2013) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE : Sheraton Nassau Beach Resort (left Starwood Dec 1, 2013) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2009, 2:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Gold Elite
We had the same experience on a cash and points booking back in February. The check in agent was very helpful though and allowed us to go check out a couple of rooms before we decided which one we wanted. Not sure if you're Platinum or not, but was able to get upgraded to a larger room with a seperate seating area (NOT a suite) on the ground floor with a patio, and a king bed. The upgrade did take a LOT of negotiating though. Even if you can't get the larger room, I would definitely recommend trying to get one of the rooms with a patio.

This was our experience in February, and I'm sure that the hotel will be less full in July!

If you need restaurant/food recommendations, let me know.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 3:00 pm

Thanks CarNut,

If I was plat I wouldn't worry too much. BUT, I have no elite status with SPG, which makes it harder. I too think it shouldn't be too full in July, so I'm hopefull. We'll see.

As for restaurant/food, if you have recommendations as to where to eat correctly in the neighborhood for decent prices, I'm sure I wouldn't be the only FTer interested!

Thanks!

Last edited by Benjh; Jun 23, 2009 at 3:01 pm Reason: sp
Old Jun 23, 2009, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I have booked this hotel a couple of times from a cruise, where we did the cheap weekend getaway. They let us check in around 9 in the morning and we spent the day on the beach. Going back to the ship around 10 at night.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Benjh
Just booked a stay there, July 24th to 26, on cash and points. A really good deal IMO.

Only annoying thing is that there was only a two double beds room available, and I wanted a King (travelling with my SO). Hopefully a king will be available between now and then.

However I can't seem to put a request on spg.com - not sure why. Maybe because it's a cash and points rez? Am I missing something?
UPDATE: a quick call to the hotel, bypassing SPG, solved the problem!
Thanks anyway!

-----------------------------------

Does anyone have a contact at the hotel? I called SPG twice to request a king bed, but the request doesn't show up on my rez, and I'd really hate ending up in two double beds. I have no status so not counting on any kind of upgrade (although it would be nice).

Anyone?
Thanks!

Last edited by Benjh; Jul 10, 2009 at 11:50 am Reason: updated
Old Oct 11, 2009, 3:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
I stayed at this property for three days this past week using cash + points.

A good property – I’d definitely stay here again and recommend it. However it has some room for improvement.

Plat recognition at this hotel was fantastic (someone must have read this thread). Two days before I arrived, the concierge, Charlene, called me and let me know that I’d been upgraded to a suite and asked if I had any special requests. I had a nice brief conversation with her, and she’s a very nice woman. She said as it was my first time in the Bahamas they’d have to make a good impression – and she definitely did.

The hotel is about a 20 minute and $20 cab ride from the airport on Cable Beach. Check in took a very long time – and not because of a line or anything. I have no clue what possibly could have taken so long – she seemed to be typing and clicking forever! The woman at check in gave me the choice of a smaller room with a nice view on the top floor, or a suite on the ground floor. I chose the suite and let me tell you it was a fantastic choice.

The room was *amazing*. It’s a combination room #191 and 193. It had a HUGE separate (two rooms) living area, kitchenette, massive flat screen TV, however the best part was the full wrap around terrace right on the first floor. The sandy beach and pools were literally 15 feet out the sliding glass door. Really wonderful and made the trip so fantastic.

The staff at this hotel is gracious and friendly and the facilities are well kept up. Additionally, they had an SPG reception on Friday evening with a full open bar and a nice spread. They left me a hand written invitation under my door, and Charlene called me as well to personally invite me. A really nice touch!

Also, Cable Beach is nice with good views. The pools at this hotel are nice and the setup with beach/bar/grill is very user friendly. It’s not massive, like Atlantis, but definitely large yet user friendly. No problems getting towels during my trip. I also had no issues with my room key or air conditioner.

So to sum up plat recognition (which, based on this thread, used to be a problem at this hotel): a pre-arrival phone call, an AMAZING upgrade that required no prompting or "negotation" on my part, and a great SPG reception ... who could ask for more?

There are some negatives though:
  • The buffet is comically overpriced for what you get. Skip it.
  • The hotel connects to the Wyndham hotel (it’s one big complex), and Moso, the Asian restaurant there was DISGUSTING. Skip it.
  • They were testing the alarm system at 11 AM two days in a row for about a ½ hour each time. I understand that the alarm system needs testing … but some warning and perhaps waiting until the afternoon would have been appreciated.
  • It’s impossible to get hold of the front desk from your room. It rings for about 6 minutes (not exaggerating) before someone picks up.
  • Drinks, sundries, grill food are all overpriced – but this is a systemic resort problem (I can’t quite single out this hotel)

If I had to grade this place I’d give it a B+ or A-. I’d definitely return though and I guess that counts the most.

Some random non-hotel related points/advice regarding visiting Nassau from a first time visitor:
  • Nassau is not a foodie destination. Though we found some decent restaurants (Van Breugels, Indigo) … we were unimpressed with the cuisine there. If eating innovative and exciting food is an integral part of your vacation – try Barbados or St. Maarten.
  • Atlantis is worth a quick visit and the aquariums are really nice and almost worth the $35 ticket. The manta rays are majestic and the other fish are really beautiful. Other than that, Atlantis wasn’t very impressive (unless you have kids) – it reminded me heavily of Disney World.
  • It’s clear Nassau isn’t a destination for its history and culture. If you want some more culture in your vacation and not just beach/pool … you can do Nassau in an afternoon. There are some nice enough museums, forts, and architecture, however they are all very small and undeveloped. The historical society and the Pompey House, though small, had some interesting exhibits regarding the history of the Bahamas, slavery, and colonization. Also, Victoria Steps (right near fort Fincastle) are pretty cool.

Last edited by Jumpgate; Oct 11, 2009 at 3:58 pm
Old Dec 30, 2009, 8:06 am

Any recent experiences to report?

Mrs. Flews and the twins (not yet 2) and I are heading down for some sun & sea in Februrary. While we are very familiar with Nassau, and even this property, we haven't been down since the kids were born. So we'd appreciate hearing from anyone who might have some more recent experiences to contribute.

For one thing, does anyone know offhand if I would have to pay the (much hated) resort fee for the kids? I doubt we'd change our plans over it, but we'd certainly be kicking and screaming about having to pay it lol...

Cheers,
Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
I will second that request, I will be headed with Mrs. ATXtraveler in mid Jan.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 5:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage 1MM, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Flews
Any recent experiences to report?

Mrs. Flews and the twins (not yet 2) and I are heading down for some sun & sea in Februrary. While we are very familiar with Nassau, and even this property, we haven't been down since the kids were born. So we'd appreciate hearing from anyone who might have some more recent experiences to contribute.

For one thing, does anyone know offhand if I would have to pay the (much hated) resort fee for the kids? I doubt we'd change our plans over it, but we'd certainly be kicking and screaming about having to pay it lol...

Cheers,
Hi,

My wife and I spent 8 nights at the resort in November. Had a wonderful time, will go back later this year for our anniversary. I can share some of my experiences with you - I posted them in my blog.

Enjoy!
Bob

Last edited by Mr. Bob; Jan 20, 2010 at 5:16 pm Reason: fixed broken link
Old Jan 14, 2010, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Bob
Hi, My wife and I spent 8 nights at the resort in November. Had a wonderful time, will go back later this year for our anniversary. I can share some of my experiences with you - I posted them in my blog. Enjoy! Bob
Thanks for this. Greats posts, great pics, great detail.

I've even bookmarked your site for future reference!

Cheers,
Old Jan 14, 2010, 8:35 pm

Just FYI, I spent 3 nights there last August and had a pretty bad time. I'm not really into long and detailed reviews, but I thought the staff was rude, dismissive and uninformed, the service bad, and the grounds not well kept. The hallways were dirty, service doors open everywhere, with views on trash or dirty laundry, etc. I did not have a good time, and I'm usually very open-minded and chill about hotels.

The pools are nice though, and the pool restaurant has good food. The beach is nothing to complain about, but in the bahamas you can get soooooo much better.

Everyone seems to have a great time there, so maybe I was there on the wrong week or I took the wrong medication, I don't know. If anyone has had a similar experience to mine I'd love to hear it though.

PS: If you want a real bahamian experience, you have to get to Harbour Island. 30 minutes from nassau by plane, or better yet: 2 hours away by ferry accross turquoise waters. The most beautiful beach in the world, charming hotels, friendly people. It's just incredible.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 3:05 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Just FYI, I spent 3 nights there last August and had a pretty bad time. I'm not really into long and detailed reviews, but I thought the staff was rude, dismissive and uninformed, the service bad, and the grounds not well kept. The hallways were dirty, service doors open everywhere, with views on trash or dirty laundry, etc. I did not have a good time, and I'm usually very open-minded and chill about hotels.

The pools are nice though, and the pool restaurant has good food. The beach is nothing to complain about, but in the bahamas you can get soooooo much better.

Everyone seems to have a great time there, so maybe I was there on the wrong week or I took the wrong medication, I don't know. If anyone has had a similar experience to mine I'd love to hear it though.
+1!

We stayed there in September and thought it was awful.

The place is very tired and in desperate need of a clean up/refresh. We were only there a day, thankfully.

The best bit was trying to eat at the pool/beach restaurant. They gave us menus and the first three things we picked were not available. I think they eventually managed to rustle us up some form of sandwich.

Bizarre to think they even charge you a resort fee for the pleasure of staying there as well.....
Old Jan 20, 2010, 5:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 1MM, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Flews
Thanks for this. Greats posts, great pics, great detail.

I've even bookmarked your site for future reference!

Cheers,
I am glad you enjoyed my posts. As you can see from the messages on the forum, some people did not enjoy their stay. Thankfully, we did not have any of the issues they mentioned. Our room was clean, the staff attentive, etc. The biggest problem we had was with the coffee-maker in our room -- it did not work and had to be replaced.

I'd also add that the hotel buffet was, IMHO, overpriced. I have had better food at much less expensive family buffets here at home.

However, if those are the worst things I can say about the trip, it was still pretty good. As I mentioned, we have already decided to return in September for our wedding anniversary!

Please let me know if I can answer any questions!

Bob

Last edited by Mr. Bob; Jan 20, 2010 at 5:12 pm Reason: had surgery last week, still on meds, had to correct my grammar! :-)
Old Jan 21, 2010, 6:49 pm

Thumbs down

Well, color me disappointed. Platinum guest checking in today... not so platinum experience.

When reading the fine print on my award stay here, they mention that I owe them $18 per person per day, plus a $6 bellman fee. I didn't use the bellman, and I was not informed of a $36 dollar per day charge that I would be responsible for in my booking. As I always do, I take screenshots of my booking screen where it clearly states that there are no additional fees.

The check in person happened to be an assistant manager, so I figured this would be resolved quickly and efficiently. Much to my dismay, she was obviously well versed in the policy of the hotel, and although never communicated on SPG.com prior to booking, she was more than willing to connect me to SPG customer service, as she clearly has this discussion more often than not. After about 15 minutes of wait-transfer-explain-wait-transfer-etc, SPG customer service sent a formal explaination request to the hotel which has not been completed with me as of yet.

So, for the record... even on award stays, expect an additional $36 per night factored into your rate. I will let you know if anything further is resolved.

Lurkers, if you would like more information on this, let me know... I would be glad to supply you with the reservation numbers, etc.

Oh... and because of my objection to the charge, there was no platinum upgrade... but most of you probably knew that would be the case
Old Jan 21, 2010, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by atxtraveler
Well, color me disappointed. Platinum guest checking in today... not so platinum experience.

When reading the fine print on my award stay here, they mention that I owe them $18 per person per day, plus a $6 bellman fee. I didn't use the bellman, and I was not informed of a $36 dollar per day charge that I would be responsible for in my booking. As I always do, I take screenshots of my booking screen where it clearly states that there are no additional fees.

The check in person happened to be an assistant manager, so I figured this would be resolved quickly and efficiently. Much to my dismay, she was obviously well versed in the policy of the hotel, and although never communicated on SPG.com prior to booking, she was more than willing to connect me to SPG customer service, as she clearly has this discussion more often than not. After about 15 minutes of wait-transfer-explain-wait-transfer-etc, SPG customer service sent a formal explaination request to the hotel which has not been completed with me as of yet.

So, for the record... even on award stays, expect an additional $36 per night factored into your rate. I will let you know if anything further is resolved.

Lurkers, if you would like more information on this, let me know... I would be glad to supply you with the reservation numbers, etc.

Oh... and because of my objection to the charge, there was no platinum upgrade... but most of you probably knew that would be the case
The $36 resort fee is a well-known fact at this property. Pretty much all resorts and main hotels in the bahamas have this kind of fee, and I knew it well in advance of booking the Sheraton Nassau. I'm pretty sure it's been mentionned here already.

In addition, the SPG website when making a reservation states this:
"**The displayed totals are estimates only and do not include any additional charges that may be incurred at the hotel. The actual total will be calculated by the hotel in its local currency, based on the local taxes and currency exchange rate (if applicable) in effect at the time charging occurs."

And clicking on the "complete details about this rate, taxes and other charges" brings up a window with plenty of detail, including the $36 surcharge. So there you go.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 8:07 pm

And clicking on the "complete details about this rate, taxes and other charges" brings up a window with plenty of detail, including the $36 surcharge. So there you go.
Interesting... I have a screenshot of when I did the same thing just now for using points, and no such surcharge is listed. Just out of curiosity, did your complete details window pop up for a points stay?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.