Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: 4 PM Late Check-Out: A benefit for Platinum, Gold & Preferred Plus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
What are the published terms of the late check-out benefit?
The exact language on the SPG website is
4 p.m. late checkout, where available. [Footnote: Subject to availability at resort and conference center hotels.]
Where can I find these terms stated on the SPG website?
Log into your SPG account and click on My Benefits (or go to https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...ybenefits.html).
Where can I find a list of "resort and conference center hotels" on the SPG website?
You can't; it isn't there. However, one of the Starwood social-media representatives has posted (and regularly updates) a list at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18920557-post809.html.
Do front-desk clerks at Starwood properties have a program guide that contains information on this benefit?
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Whether they choose to print a hard copy for easy reference or not, the current (2014) SPG Program Guide is available through the company intranet site although the information cited now resides on Page 13, where it still says, "Guaranteed 4 pm late check-out (only at Resorts and Conference Centers is it subject to availability)"
Per Starwood Lurker, the relevant discussion in the 2015 SPG Program Guide is on page 12.
May a resort/conference property offer late checkout for a price?
Not to anyone entitled to late checkout elsewhere. According to Starwood Lurker, if late checkout is available for a price at resort/conference hotels, then it must be made available at no cost to SPG elites.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: 4 PM Late Check-Out: A benefit for Platinum, Gold & Preferred Plus

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2007, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Like I said in answer to the first point, it sounds like the hotel and both associates may have informed you correctly in this instance. But, if you want to send me the names of everyone to whom you've spoken - at the hotel and otherwise - then I will take the time to quiz them personally about their thinking on the subject.
You answered it too quickly, I was still editing my post . Yes, the hotel agent may have been correct by stating the conference rule, and I am not denying that. In fact, I thought the agent handled it very well. However, she did not say that they were hosting a large convention (in fact, I don't think they were). She simply pointed out the fact that they were 5 blocks away from the Moscone center therefore automatically making them a conference hotel (funny that W SF, and St Regis closer to Moscone don't seem to think the same)

However, it was extremely frustrating when both platinum concierge and westin corporate customer service told me that late check out was subject to availability at ALL hotels. They said that it was not guranteed even at nonresort/conference hotel (because I told them about resort and conference and told them to reread the terms and condition). I contacted them before the front desk agent called me to my room to inform me that they were a conference hotel. I was extremely frustrated because they insisted that the late check was always subject to availability, even at nonresort/conference locations.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 10:35 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
...However, it was extremely frustrating when both platinum concierge and westin corporate customer service told me that late check out was subject to availability at ALL hotels. They said that it was not guranteed even at nonresort/conference hotel (because I told them about resort and conference and told them to reread the terms and condition). I contacted them before the front desk agent called me to my room to inform me that they were a conference hotel. I was extremely frustrated because they insisted that the late check was always subject to availability.
If the Platinum Concierge and the Hotel Customer Service associate both implied this is the case for all properties, then you need to send me their names so we can have a conversation about that.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Sep 18, 2007, 10:56 am
Suspended

You answered it too quickly, I was still editing my post .
that's william for ya. ^
Old Sep 18, 2007, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
She simply pointed out the fact that they were 5 blocks away from the Moscone center therefore automatically making them a conference hotel (funny that W SF, and St Regis closer to Moscone don't seem to think the same)
I've never had any sort of issue at the W, the St. Francis, nor the Palace, all which regularly have conventioneers coming out of every orifice of the buildings.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 10:42 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Gold and late checkout?

Recently asked for a 4pm checkout and was told 1pm - then when I pressed was offered 2pm or 4pm with a half-day charge. The manager on duty eventually straightened it out but in the meantime I called SPG and was told that the room key folder that states gold benefits was wrong - it said 4pm with an asterisk that stated resort and conference centers when available. I understand the point that it is not feasible to give all golds and higher 4pm, but that is what the folder stated... am I missing something? (I maybe once a year ask for late checkout and always got it - did not think there was an availability issue (or charge - but as I said, the mgr took care of that and apologized for the staff member who did that...)
Old Nov 26, 2007, 12:40 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by fwfdan
Recently asked for a 4pm checkout and was told 1pm - then when I pressed was offered 2pm or 4pm with a half-day charge. The manager on duty eventually straightened it out but in the meantime I called SPG and was told that the room key folder that states gold benefits was wrong - it said 4pm with an asterisk that stated resort and conference centers when available. I understand the point that it is not feasible to give all golds and higher 4pm, but that is what the folder stated... am I missing something? (I maybe once a year ask for late checkout and always got it - did not think there was an availability issue (or charge - but as I said, the mgr took care of that and apologized for the staff member who did that...)
Assuming that this was not a resort or a conference location, I'm glad this was able to be sorted out at the property. This is what it says in the Terms and Conditions of Membership in SPG:

c. Upon request, 4 p.m. late check-out worldwide, subject to availability at resorts and conference locations.

Anything less than this should be reported to Hotel Customer Service at 800-328-6242, as suggested in the sticky at the top of this forum.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Nov 26, 2007, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA Premier Exec, SPG Gold
OP - was it a resort or conference center?
Old Nov 26, 2007, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jacksonSFO
OP - was it a resort or conference center?
But even if it were, wouldn't the fact that they were originally willing to give him late checkout for a fee indicate that there was availability?
Old Nov 26, 2007, 3:28 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
was not a resort or conference center...

I plan to email both the GM and SPG Customer service just to let them know what happened (training at the hotel) and info to the SPG res (we all make mistakes - realized I may have called the wrong number).

Actually the email to the GM is overdue - and for the opposite reason. We stay at that hotel about once a month and it is always a great stay. A mistake sometimes make you realize that you should praise people too.

thanks for the answer.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 3:34 am

Sounds like just an incompletely trained staff member to me. I have never been denied this perk at any Starwood hotel although once I was told it wasn't possible because I'd been upgraded. When I pushed I did get it though.

I like the point you make about writing to Starwood or the GM in regards to good service. I think too many of us neglect to do this, only taking the effort in response to a bad experience.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 5:48 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Unhappy My late check out was taken away

I was told I had late check out at my last stay when I checked in. Around noon (even though I had do not disturb sign on my door) housekeeping knocked on door. So I called down to reception to see if there was an issue. I was told that I didnt have late check out and they needed the room . I said that I was given late check out - girl said "no its not listed here"! So after pushing my pt - but she didnt give in, I said ok I will get ready to leave and get down to reception before 2.30pm.

I was unable to get a 'preferred room' that evening as the hotel was oversold, so I was happy I had been given the late check out. I ended up with a pretty small room with a view of the car park (at least I could see my car in that overpriced car park) - so that was a bonus !

To then have late check out taken away, I was not thrilled . I completed the customer experience card and took it downstairs, advised lady at check in what had happened. She apologised. I was then waiting in reception and the assistant manager come over and apologised to me. She was lovely ^. As I had another stay already booked, she promised to look after me on my next stay .

Last edited by Downunder girl; Nov 27, 2007 at 6:06 am
Old Nov 27, 2007, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AC 25K, Marriott LT Platinum
Even though I'm SPG Gold, I was only given 1 PM late checkout recently at the Sheraton Chicago. I don't know if that hotel is considered a conference location, but I was surprised that 1 PM was all they would do.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 12:18 am

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Keep in mind that any property is a "conference location" if they say that they are.

Really the late checkout benefit fine print should be simplified to "subject to availability". That said, I very seldom have a problem getting it honored.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 12:32 am
Suspended

With almost everyone being at least a Gold member these days I wont be surprised if more than half of all guests at some properties are either Gold or Platinum. Quite honestly I dont know how these properties are able to honour late checkouts in a sold-out situation.

May be a better idea to "guarantee" 2pm for Golds and 3pm for Platinums; and "subject to availability" 4pm for Golds and 5pm for Platinums.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 1:50 pm

4pm late checkout for SPG Gold - Totally at Hotel's discretion?

Sheraton Anchorage front desk are adamant that it is. When "convention and resort" properties clause is pointed to them, they say " Yes and we are resort and conference center hotel". So my question is whether this benefit is just based on availability and therefore not guaranteed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.