Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago - W City Center or W Lakeshore

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2007, 6:03 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by curl
WOW - this is the room they gave us when we stayed there last fall! i'm not kidding! couldn't shut the bathroom door if you were in there. butt hit the wall when i tried to walk around the foot the bed....
"gave us"!!!!!! They assigned a 110 sq ft room to more than one person?? 110 sq ft seems about the right size for an adjoining W Pet Room .

And I hope you paid less than $725.87.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Sep 25, 2007 at 10:43 pm
Old Sep 26, 2007, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
yeah, it was nearly midnight on a Friday night when we checked in and we walked in this room.... seriously, i think it used to be a broom closet that was converted into a room!! i mean it was furnished nicely as most W's are, but it was just really really really small.

we went back downstairs and got moved to another room - luckily a bit bigger! our friends got a similar nano-sized room, asked for another, then got a smoking room, then asked for another, and then got a fairly spacious room that unfortunately was quite close to the El tracks that run along the side of the W City Center. overall, it wasn't a great experience and i don't think we'd go back.

we paid about 279 or 289 for that nano room - it was marathon weekend so all prices were high (that was the **special** marathon rate).
Old Sep 27, 2007, 9:07 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
I was looking for a room in Chicago this weekend and found very expensive Cozy room at the W Chicago City Center.
William:

I found other occurrences, e.g 11/12/2007
1 Single Bed
Room description It'S A Cozy 110 Sqft Room With In-Room Safe, Bliss Bath Amen Ities, W Bathrobe
USD 629.00 + charges & taxes = USD 725.87

Double and King Wonderfuls go for
USD 399.00 + charges & taxes = USD 460.45

Spectaculars on the same date
USD 469.00 + charges & taxes = USD 541.23
And for all the rooms it is the same rate for Prepaid or BAR. I think this hotel need to audit it's rate structure. Or maybe I should be quiet, they may "correct" the rates upward.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Sep 29, 2007 at 9:42 am
Old Sep 30, 2007, 6:58 pm
In memoriam

duplicate

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Sep 30, 2007 at 7:30 pm
Old Sep 30, 2007, 7:04 pm
In memoriam

... I booked a 253 Sqft Wonderful Room. But of course I am hoping for a nice upgrade. This hotel usually has low occupancy on weekends as it is located in the Chicago financial district.
In the comments section of the reservation I put a note asking for an upgrade since it was the 6th anniversary with my partner. I also emailed similar text to the GM, his email address was listed in the reservation confirmation email which stated.
Who knew you were visiting? We've received your reservation and wanted to ask if you'd like anything special while you're with us? Let us know, and we'll be happy to provide Whatever you want, Whenever you want it. E-mail your wish directly to me at EF(not his real email adr)@whotels.com and we'll do our best to fulfill your dreams.

Warmest wishes,
EF, General Manager
When I checked in I was told that they had a surprise for me. I was upgraded to their WoW Suite -- the best room in the house that normally goes for about $2K++/night.
Enter into 1,110 square feet of pure W. Relax with a drink from the wet bar as you melt into cozy couches in the living room. Order in and dine in the separate dining room with table for six or lounge in the living room with large sectional couches for extreme entertaining. Slip into an ultra-soft terry/pique spa robe and retreat to the marble bath with Jacuzzi and separate rainforest shower. Sink into the signature comfort of a W king feather bed with pillowtop mattress, crisp 350-thread-count sheets, goose-down comforter and pillows.
The room had a 42" plasma TV in the bedroom and a 32" in LCD in the living room. The living room TV had HD on some channels, e.g. HBO. There were a 4 complementary bottles of Voss water. The Jacuzzi tub had 3 large candles around it but there were not matches in the room and I had to get some from the concierge. There is a 15"?? TV in the bathroom which can be viewed from the oversized tub. The shower is small, even a little cramped for 1 person. There were lots of towels, did not count all of them, and of course Bliss amenities. There was also a half bath off the living room.

I have seen some bad reviews of this property in this thread and tripadvisor and it seems to me that there were improvements in service. It does not even seem that these reviews are talking about the same property. I am sure some of the good service was because of the room I was in but most of the good service occurred even people did not know who I was. There was one case however where one person greeted me in the lobby. I never had met her before but she knew me by name and wanted to know how my stay was. I talked to her for a few minutes and asked what her position was at the hotel. I think she said her title was a "Wonderer", her job was to greet guests and make sure everything is OK.

We had dinner Saturday evening at the ristorante we and had the "tuscan tasting" ($45++ each) -- a 5 course tasting which all added up to be a good sized meal. It can be served with 4 matching wines $24++, but on Saturdays the wines are complimentary. Breakfast was very good -- figure on $25-30 person all in. I used the promo I mentioned in post 89 to get 1000 extra points for dinner and 500 for breakfast. I was surprised that in both cases the server had never seen the promo coupon before.

WoW suite living and dinning room pics here . Click on the thumbnails right of center to see larger size pics. Bedroom with large grape on bed .

The points and stay credit posted in less than 24 hours after checkout. I expect the 1500 points for breakfast and dinner to take a little longer.

This hotel really shows the excellent service that Starwood is capable. I have been very critical, in most cases constructive, of the new spg.com. I just wish the web site could be so good.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Jul 4, 2008 at 4:05 pm
Old Oct 2, 2007, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
WOW - that does sound awesome!!

i am probably one of those not-so-great review people. i just felt like they were trying to stick us in the tiniest/least desirable room they had..... well, what I have learned from flyertalk (hee hee ) is that you should always check to see if there's a better room, a better seat on the plane, etc. etc. or maybe i'm just getting old and crabby.

we were there on a weekend with very high occupancy - when we asked for another room, they had to pull out the floormaps and start looking at them to find another room for us. But if the second room was available all along, wonder why we got the crappy room the first time.

i have to say that the concierge was great there - we ate at several great restaurants, even at midnight when we got there (they directed us to some great walkable late-night pizza).
Old Oct 2, 2007, 10:49 pm

Thumbs up

Let me make my position very clear, W Hotel Lakeshore is my favourite hotel.
I have stayed many times and it never ceases to amaze me.

My first visit was on a Friday night for 7 days and I arrived late ( from Australia) as my flight from LA was delayed. They upgraded me (I had no SPG status then) to a Lake view room on a high floor.The reception/bar area was jumping and I enjoyed winding down for an hour before retiring.

A few months back I got the "Summer of WUV" promotion emailed to me with special summer rates and promotional gear. I forwarded this email to the Hotel Manager stating that I was envious as it was winter in Australia and I could do with a "Summer of Wuv" cheer up.
A week later I received a Fedex box with all the promotional items in it (Purple W Hotel towel etc) and a hand written note from her stating that they hoped to see me soon.

This sort of thank you is priceless. It made my day and I recommend this Hotel to you all.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 7:14 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I have a stay at the W Lakeshore coming up at a rate of $249 and since it will be my first visit I am very excited. It will be a Platinum by then but because of many conferences in Chicago at this time I don't expect to get any upgrade. But who knows, I might be lucky....
Old Oct 3, 2007, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 2P / Starwood Gold / Hilton Silver / Marriott Silver
I gotta say, I love this hotel as well. I'm usually here every week. However, after about 15 - 20 weeks of staying here (as a platinum), I've NEVER been upgraded to a suite. However, the staff are very friendly and the normal rooms are fairly large. The 42" LCD TVs rock as well. But.....you'd have a better chance of being struck by lightning than getting an upgrade....
Old Oct 15, 2007, 5:51 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by tmagnani
I gotta say, I love this hotel as well. I'm usually here every week. However, after about 15 - 20 weeks of staying here (as a platinum), I've NEVER been upgraded to a suite. However, the staff are very friendly and the normal rooms are fairly large. The 42" LCD TVs rock as well. But.....you'd have a better chance of being struck by lightning than getting an upgrade....
I think you won't like this: I am here now and it is my first stay as a Platinum and I got upgraded to a suite.....
Old Oct 15, 2007, 7:10 pm

I can't remember whether I've responded to this thread () but I just wanted to add my experience at the W Chicago lakeshore for info purposes on the master thread.

For a leisure traveller, the W Chicago Lakeshore is awesome! I had a very fun stay here.
- Great service from all members of staff - everyone was super friendly and took great care to made sure my stay was memorable. The concierge desk was superb at what they do - giving directions, food recommendations, getting tix to sold out concerts/tables at sold out restaurants etc.
- Nice rooms. People usually bag out the rooms here on the basis that the hotel has been converted from a Days Inn but I had no problems.
- Very hopping Living Room, both on weekdays and weeknights
- Whiskey Sky was nice to chill out at on a weeknight - fun crowd.
- The restaurant was overpriced... the food was just ok but the price was a rip off so don't eat there.
- As a Gold I was given late check out before I even opened my mouth; I merely had to scale it back to 1pm as I didn't need that late a check out. Room was on a reasonably high floor. Got exactly what I booked (most other hotels in the US gave me one cat upgrades or club rooms) then again the hotel seemed small and was reasonably sold out.
- Love the decor! The colour scheme of the bathroom was especially cool. The dim lighting was awesome and enhanced the W nightclub-esque 'feel.'

Highly recommended.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by QF009
- The restaurant was overpriced... the food was just ok but the price was a rip off so don't eat there.
Hi QF009, I disagree on the restaurant.When I have arrived early/late evening , I have always got good value and great service.When you have been travelling from Australia you are less inclined to go out on your first night. But as you will know there are lots of good places nearby or a short cab ride away. Sometimes the cold weather can keep you in the Hotel
Old Oct 31, 2007, 7:28 pm
In memoriam

In the reservation confirmation email for my stay at the W Chicago City Center that I mentioned in the few posts above there was a link to get 1000 Starpoints for eating dinner at the "ristorante we", 500 for breakfast. ...
... I used the promo I mentioned in post 89 to get 1000 extra points for dinner and 500 for breakfast. I was surprised that in both cases the server had never seen the promo coupon before....
I waited a month for the points to post and called the Platinum Concierge. She had never heard of the promo and I emailed a copy. No promo code listed on it. I am sure it will be taken care of, the Platinum Concierge always does.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Delta PM, *wood Ambassador Plat, Marriott Self-Imposed Exile
W Chicago Lakeshore fall from Grace

While any time before today i would have said LakeShore... i have to now say that i am very very sad to report that the Lakeshore has fallen from grace.

Feel free to look up my stellar reviews of the W Chicago Lakeshore from a few years ago... but last night... i checked in... not even a "how was your flight mr. molavi", no upgrade to lake view, and one of the slowest check in ever.

I asked the concierge if "Altitude" the top floor bar was open and he nastily replied... "No, Whisky Sky is open" for chirssakes... there next to each other, get a grip

Jay who used to manage the two chicago W properties clearly is gone... i wonder how the westins are.....
Old Jan 7, 2008, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1P; SPG Plat;
Originally Posted by boston aa flyer
While any time before today i would have said LakeShore... i have to now say that i am very very sad to report that the Lakeshore has fallen from grace.

Feel free to look up my stellar reviews of the W Chicago Lakeshore from a few years ago... but last night... i checked in... not even a "how was your flight mr. molavi", no upgrade to lake view, and one of the slowest check in ever.

I asked the concierge if "Altitude" the top floor bar was open and he nastily replied... "No, Whisky Sky is open" for chirssakes... there next to each other, get a grip

Jay who used to manage the two chicago W properties clearly is gone... i wonder how the westins are.....
Wow. Hopefully, that visit was only an aberration. I'm planning my first visit to the W Lakeshore next month and chose it because of the glowing reviews (including yours!).

Are there any other recent experiences that would support aa flyer's comments...or hopefully had a better experience?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.