Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago - W City Center or W Lakeshore

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:48 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Just had amazing stay at Lakeshore

I still prefer Lakeshore. Here is why:
I wanted to bring my niece and cousin to Chicago for a shopping/theater weekend. Since my niece is 6, we weren't sure if W would be appropriate or kid-friendly. I chose Lakeshore again-I'm a Plat and a WTHECARD holder, and I was treated with upmost respect and the staff went WAY out of their way to make not only my weekend (it was my birthday) but my niece's, as well.

I was upgraded in advance to a 2 bedroom suite and put in touch with the concierge. Through 2 months of emails, we arranged a few special touches for my niece. I expected to pay for them, but they were complimentary! Just a few of the things they did: stocked a fridge with chocolate milk and Voss water for the weekend, had a "Wizard of Oz" CD playing in all 3 rooms when we entered, left a child's sized robe and slippers for my niece (purchased just for her in her favorite color), and also left her numerous toys and an art kit. I arrived a day before she did, so when I got there, they'd sent me a fruit basket from the manager and hot cocoa upon arrival from the "Living Room" manager. (I'd mentioned once that I disliked coffee and tea but loved cocoa- they remembered.) The next day, the concierge arranged for my cousin's favorite Chicago popcorn to be waiting (an entire tin!) and a W Teddy Bear and disposable camera for my niece. They also provided us with a microwave and had 2 of the 3 full baths stocked with full-sized Bliss products!

Now, I am a frequent guest, but this was above and beyond, in my opinion. They even came to the door on the morning of my birthday to sing to me (I was already gone so I missed out on my favorite dessert) and treated my niece as if she were Eloise at the Plaza. I know I'm forgetting a lot, but I'm still in awe of that staff. I tipped the concierge on day one, upon seeing all he had done. Little did I know he had arranged for my niece to keep the robe and slippers, among other things, and that he would continue to help out all weekend. They even left a full box of TAZO tea by the coffee maker because my cousin likes tea and I didn't know what kind!

I will always go back to W Lakeshore- I think the staff makes it what it is. I also think that for special occasions like this one, the W can't be beat. We're already planning next year's trip!
Old Nov 13, 2006, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by thaliajen

I will always go back to W Lakeshore- I think the staff makes it what it is. I also think that for special occasions like this one, the W can't be beat. We're already planning next year's trip!
So, what did you think of the restaurant 'Wave'?
Old Nov 16, 2006, 5:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
Originally Posted by thaliajen
I still prefer Lakeshore. Here is why:
I wanted to bring my niece and cousin to Chicago for a shopping/theater weekend. Since my niece is 6, we weren't sure if W would be appropriate or kid-friendly. I chose Lakeshore again-I'm a Plat and a WTHECARD holder, and I was treated with upmost respect and the staff went WAY out of their way to make not only my weekend (it was my birthday) but my niece's, as well.

I was upgraded in advance to a 2 bedroom suite and put in touch with the concierge. Through 2 months of emails, we arranged a few special touches for my niece. I expected to pay for them, but they were complimentary! Just a few of the things they did: stocked a fridge with chocolate milk and Voss water for the weekend, had a "Wizard of Oz" CD playing in all 3 rooms when we entered, left a child's sized robe and slippers for my niece (purchased just for her in her favorite color), and also left her numerous toys and an art kit. I arrived a day before she did, so when I got there, they'd sent me a fruit basket from the manager and hot cocoa upon arrival from the "Living Room" manager. (I'd mentioned once that I disliked coffee and tea but loved cocoa- they remembered.) The next day, the concierge arranged for my cousin's favorite Chicago popcorn to be waiting (an entire tin!) and a W Teddy Bear and disposable camera for my niece. They also provided us with a microwave and had 2 of the 3 full baths stocked with full-sized Bliss products!

Now, I am a frequent guest, but this was above and beyond, in my opinion. They even came to the door on the morning of my birthday to sing to me (I was already gone so I missed out on my favorite dessert) and treated my niece as if she were Eloise at the Plaza. I know I'm forgetting a lot, but I'm still in awe of that staff. I tipped the concierge on day one, upon seeing all he had done. Little did I know he had arranged for my niece to keep the robe and slippers, among other things, and that he would continue to help out all weekend. They even left a full box of TAZO tea by the coffee maker because my cousin likes tea and I didn't know what kind!

As a platinum member, I stayed at the W LS three times this year but never got a suite upgrade. I don't think the dates I picked were the peak season. I really think that this hotel has a policy of the minimum price you have to pay in order to get a suite upgrade.

I tried the Wave Mediterranean restaurant and had the beef with watermelon appetizer, which I think it's very refreshing at a reasonable price.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 3:23 am

Programs: ex AC SE100K now 75k :-( / Bonvoy Titanium / All Accor Gold/ Avis Presidents Club / National EE
Originally Posted by QF009
After an epic search through the Starwood section, I thought this thread best fits my enquiry.

Staying at the W Chicago Lakeshore 2nd-6th Dec. Should I bother with the 'Wave' restaurant? I just need a restaurant that's close by for dinner after arriving in Chicago from FRA and checking in as I imagine I'd be quite jet lagged. Or could I do better in the immediate vicinity?

The prices look alright and the menu looks edgy. Plus it's not often that I get to stay at a W since there are so few outside the US. Wouldn't wanna spend too much on food though since it'd mean more money for alcohol!
Had breakfast there and the food was quite good (nothing off the charts but that is normal for hotel food!). Both bars/lounges are very happening. The one upstairs seemed a bit too crowded for me but the one downstairs seemed great! If you are hungover the next day enjoy the bliss spa! The staff is great and the treatments are amazing!

Enjoy! Overall it is a great hotel!

Happy travels!
Old Apr 7, 2007, 8:01 am

Chicago - W City Center or W Lakeshore

I did a search and couldn't find any recent threads on either hotel.

I'm using points to make a reservation for my girlfriend and her friends for a Saturday night in Chicago, and wondered if anybody had any thoughts on which W they should stay at?

I know about 3 years ago Lakeshore was the hotter location, but haven't been to Chicago in sometime. They are both Cat 5 and require 12,000 pts. for a one night stay, although the Lakeshore location is usually $300/night for a standard room while the City Center location is $200.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 8:45 am

W Lakeshore is near the main shopping/touristy strip of Chicago - the Mag Mile. It is also within walking distance of pretty cool nightspots on Rush St. W CC is more in the financial district - the Loop area but also near several interesting bits and pieces like the Art Institute, Sears Tower and the south side of Chicago generally.

I've not stayed at the W CC - but I LOVED my stay at the W Lakeshore. It had a hopping Living Room as well as a cozy Rande Gerber bar at the top of the building. The rooms are perfectly fine, even though many prefer the rooms at the W CC. The Living Room managers are 2nd to none and had very inspiring ideas on things to do in Chicago as well as fantastic restaurant recommendations.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 9:10 am

Programs: NW, AA
W CC is in the middle of the Loop. Stay here if you have business in Chicago in the loop. It is dead on the weekends and after hours (a few businessmen will hit the bar and that's about it).

W Lakeshore is more happinin' and my recommendation. Much nicer neighborhood. Walkable to Navy Pier and Grant Park.

Jayson
Old Apr 7, 2007, 9:40 am

Concur with the others. I've generally received nicer (larger) rooms at CC and paid less money, but if your girlfriend is going there for a fun weekend, Lakeshore is clearly the better choice. There's really no question.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 9:06 am

Great replies, thank you very much! I reserved a room at Lakeshore, and I'm crossing my fingers in the hopes that she gets an upgrade.

Thanks for your advice.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT LIFE, SPG Platinum, LHW LC, Fairmont PC
FYI-- Just my two cents--although the W Lakeshore location MAY be better for a tourist visit, I'd never recommend this hotel. I have made repeated stays at both W Lakeshore and W City Center. I now avoid W Lakeshore at all costs.

The rooms, halls, etc. are dark and dingy. The furniture is beat up. The dark hallways remind me of those old 1970s police shows where they are in a beat-up, bad high-rise apartment building looking for drug dealers. The service is terrible, and forget about retrieving your car from the parking attendants within a reasonable amount of time. If you have a room facing the lake, the traffic is loud at all hours.

The only saving grace is the bar--very, very, loud, but the Lakeshore lemonades are awesome.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 1:37 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AAdvantage, Northwest, Continental
I have really enjoyed the W City Center both times I have stayed there. The suites are awesome. The staff is excellent and helpful. I really like the lounge and whole decor of the hotel. And it is right next to the Sears Tower.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 1K, DL Gold Medallion, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by NittanyFlyer
FYI-- Just my two cents--although the W Lakeshore location MAY be better for a tourist visit, I'd never recommend this hotel. I have made repeated stays at both W Lakeshore and W City Center. I now avoid W Lakeshore at all costs.

The rooms, halls, etc. are dark and dingy. The furniture is beat up. The dark hallways remind me of those old 1970s police shows where they are in a beat-up, bad high-rise apartment building looking for drug dealers. The service is terrible, and forget about retrieving your car from the parking attendants within a reasonable amount of time. If you have a room facing the lake, the traffic is loud at all hours.

The only saving grace is the bar--very, very, loud, but the Lakeshore lemonades are awesome.
I have to agree with the above. I had a very negative experience here (my TripAdvisor review here). I recommend you look at the other TripAdvisor reviews, as well.

BTW, is it me or is it strange that EVERY ROOM (without fail!) at W Lakeshore has the window (with shutters) from the bathroom into the bedroom?! Personally, I think the window is strange, period, but I think it's even more outrageous that they don't have any rooms without those windows.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
I stay at the W Lakeshore because my employer gets a fantastic discount there. The rooms are small, and I can't stand that bathroom window thing either. Unless of course you want to air out and allow all those bathroom scents into the room . Also, the parking there is horrible, I've complained several times. Rooms at the CC are nicer, stayed there once too. And it's among the coolest lobbies ever.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, HHonors-Diamond, Starwood-Platinum, Avis
Two very different hotels

Although their both Ws, W-LS and W-CC are VERY different. The W CC is a W-ized version of an old hotel. It has one of the best lobbies of ANY W-hotel that I've stayed at: old and classy detail retained and updated with cool furniture, etc. It is going to be slow on weekends and certainly not happening... but if you want to lounge with a good drink before heading out, you certainly won't be the only one at the bar/lobby.

The W-LS used to be a Days Inn.... no joke. You can put lipstick on a pig, but in the end... it's still a pig. Get my drift? It tends to be filled with what I would call Chicago's version of the Bridge and Tunnel crowd: people trying to act cooler than they are. The lobby is incredibly loud, but the sky bar is cool. If you're in your 20s, this is definitely the place to be. If you're going to be spending a lot of time on the North Side, W-LS is right on LSD which makes it easy to catch a cab and head up to the north side of the city.

Just my $.02.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by ORDforlife
W-LS is right on LSD
Now I know why those hallways feel so trippy. . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.