Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago - W City Center or W Lakeshore

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2007, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by nickio
BTW, is it me or is it strange that EVERY ROOM (without fail!) at W Lakeshore has the window (with shutters) from the bathroom into the bedroom?! Personally, I think the window is strange, period, but I think it's even more outrageous that they don't have any rooms without those windows.
What, you don't like being able to look out onto the lake as you take a shower?
Old Apr 11, 2007, 4:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
I agree with the comments about the cool lobby at CC - but to me the rooms had very cheap components put in with the upgrade and even with the suites - they all feel extremely cheap to me.

With LS - I love the view, love the location and can tolerate the bathroom window. Even though it was a Days Inn before, the renovation, imo, was much better than that of CC.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 1K, DL Gold Medallion, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by bigjim
I agree with the comments about the cool lobby at CC - but to me the rooms had very cheap components put in with the upgrade and even with the suites - they all feel extremely cheap to me.

With LS - I love the view, love the location and can tolerate the bathroom window. Even though it was a Days Inn before, the renovation, imo, was much better than that of CC.
I agree w/r/t the view -- it's great to see the lake, and, as I'm returning there (for a comp stay as a result of my negative experience in January) in May, I hope to see the lake and its shore with some people on it (if the winter finally ends!).

I know for a fact that W Lakeshore is currently renovating from the top down -- the highest floors may be available by now and the middle floors may be the ones currently under renovation. I don't know what the specifics are of the upgrades or what's being performed in the renovation, other than the fact that every room is being gutted and revamped. I hope they do something about the extremely thin walls! I will report next month when I return.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT 1.95 MM, SPG gld
Chicago W's

Expanding on ORDforlife's long memory, the W LS was a crummy Holiday Inn before it was an even worse Days Inn. A friend stayed there last summer and said the really thin walls were pretty annoying. You also hear the sirens constantly from Northwestern Hospital a couple blocks away. I forget what the W CC was before, but it was always a fairly quiet, upscale place.

Yes, the financial area is pretty dead at night on weekends, but cabs are still easy to get everywhere downtown.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by NittanyFlyer
The rooms, halls, etc. are dark and dingy.
I didn't find them dingy.
As for the darkness...that is actually why I loved the W LS...
Old Apr 16, 2007, 6:48 am

Programs: Platinum AA, Gold Skymiles, *wood Platinum
I originally planned on staying at the W CC, checked in, looked at the boring room in a boring area of town, and moved to Lakeshore, and was VERY happy.

The W CC used to be a bank I believe. So it has all the sensuality of a building designed for middle aged guys who get effervescent about commodities training and inverted bond curves.

Say what you want about how "back in the day" the Lakeshore used to be a Days Inn (gasp...) but somehow, whoever built that building was pretty smart about location, location, location. And the designers have done a lot with a little.

Hey if you're going to Chicago to hang out in your "dingy" hallways, you're missing the point about Chicago. Leave at 7 AM. Come back at 1 AM. Don't be hanging around the 'dark rooms.' Otherwise, do the Sheraton in Santa Monica.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 8:59 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AAdvantage, Northwest, Continental
Originally Posted by QF009
I didn't find them dingy.
As for the darkness...that is actually why I loved the W LS...
I agree with QF009. I think this adds to the ambiance of the W City Center. I cannot speak about the W Lake Shore. I think the dark hallways are unique and I like the way they are decorated. It gives it a very different feel then your average overlighted hallway hotel. It makes the hotel unique.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 10:43 am

Programs: AGR WOH
It's all a matter of taste, but the W CC was previously the Midland Hotel. Stayed there once during the conversion from Midland to W, so it was half bright and old, half dark and new -- honestly, I preferred the bright, since there are decorative details (especially in the lobby) that you really have to squint to see now.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 12:49 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
I was looking for a room in Chicago this weekend and found the following room at the W Chicago City Center. This room is the second entry when you sort by "Recommended ", the default. Bolding mine
1 Single Bed
Room description It'S A Cozy 110 Sqft Room With In-Room Safe, Bliss Bath Amen Ities, W Bathrobe
Room amenities Cozy Non-smoking Room,w Signature Bed,turbonet - For A Fee,2 Line Crdless Spkrphn Dataprt,cd Player/vcr/stereo
Room Rate: USD 629.00 USD 629.00
Room rate excludes the following:
Mandatory taxes:
Room Tax: 15.4 Percent Per Room / Per Night USD 96.87 USD 96.87
Estimated total*: USD 725.87 USD 725.87
Internet Only Rates - Fully Prepaid, Cancel Rules Apply, No Changes Allowed
Is this some kind of joke? Wonderful (253 Sqft) and Spectacular (338 Sqft) rooms are in the $200-300 price range.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Sep 25, 2007 at 1:03 am
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:24 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
...Is this some kind of joke? Wonderful (253 Sqft) and Spectacular (338 Sqft) rooms are in the $200-300 price range.
No, it's no joke. It is probably an inverted keystroke error.

Funny though how if they had managed to drop the 7 rather than invert it with the 2, it would not have been considered a joke. It would then more likely end up as a 17-page thread in Hotel Deals with everyone pontificating on how serious an offer it was rather than being a mistake.

All a matter of perspective, I suppose.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:34 am
In memoriam

Thanks William, The BAR rate is now
USD 199.00
+ charges & taxes
= USD 229.65
but I will book a larger room. My walk-in closet at home is almost 110 Sqft

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Sep 25, 2007 at 11:26 am
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:36 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
...but I will get a larger room. My walk-in closet at home is larger than 110 Sqft
If I could answer that question, I would take up prophecy as a profession.

Nevertheless, good luck.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Sep 25, 2007, 11:32 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
If I could answer that question, I would take up prophecy as a profession.
I was unclear in my post above and edited it. I meant I will book a larger room, which I did. I booked a 253 Sqft Wonderful Room. But of course I am hoping for a nice upgrade. This hotel usually has low occupancy on weekends as it is located in the Chicago financial district.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 2:02 pm
In memoriam

In the reservation confirmation email for my stay at the W Chicago City Center that I mentioned in the few posts above there was a link to get 1000 Starpoints for eating dinner at the "ristorante we", 500 for breakfast. And don't think about just ordering and $8 desert and getting 1000 points. You must order an an entree to qualify. I want separate checks to get a bonus for each person , see the bolding I put in the T&C. An additional 1000 points, plus the points for the dollars spent can make the price more palatable.

View the menu
Want The Inside Scoop?
ristorante we, a Tuscan-inspired restaurant located in the heart of the loop is a perennial favorite for the downtown 9-5 set and theater-goers alike. Gather together and sip glasses of wine while enjoying Executive Chef Michale Hazen's menu of spirited antipasti, comforting bowls of pasta, and grilled steaks and chops with frites. Decorated with deep burgundy banquettes and mirrored walls that reflect warm candlelight, the grand ceiling-to-floor windows overlook the hustle and bustle of West Adams Street. It's set apart with its commitment to extraordinary service and universal appeal.

To further entice you, you will receive 500 bonus StarpointsŪ when you join us for breakfast and 1,000 bonus Starpoints when you join us for dinner. That's in addition to the Starpoints you already earn for every eligible dollar spent at W Chicago City Center.

Simply print out this certificate, and present it to your server along with your room number and Starwood Preferred GuestŪ membership number. Terms & Conditions apply.

Terms and Conditions
Offer is valid for stay dates between 04/15/2005 and 12/31/2007. Purchase of entree is required to earn bonus Starpoints. One bonus may be earned per guest check. Gratuity is not included. Gratuity will be based on the full, non-discounted amount. Not applicable to group travel. Additional service charge and tax may apply. Offer is subject to availability. Advance reservations are required. Offer cannot be combined with other offers or promotions. Starwood Hotels & Resorts is not responsible for typographical errors or omissions. All promotions associated with Starwood Preferred Guest are subject to the general terms and conditions of the program, found at www.spg.com.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 5:42 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I was looking for a room in Chicago this weekend and found the following room at the W Chicago City Center. This room is the second entry when you sort by "Recommended ", the default. Bolding mine
1 Single Bed
Room description It'S A Cozy 110 Sqft Room With In-Room Safe, Bliss Bath Amen Ities, W Bathrobe
Room amenities Cozy Non-smoking Room,w Signature Bed,turbonet - For A Fee,2 Line Crdless Spkrphn Dataprt,cd Player/vcr/stereo
Room Rate: USD 629.00 USD 629.00
Room rate excludes the following:
Mandatory taxes:
Room Tax: 15.4 Percent Per Room / Per Night USD 96.87 USD 96.87
Estimated total*: USD 725.87 USD 725.87
Internet Only Rates - Fully Prepaid, Cancel Rules Apply, No Changes Allowed
Is this some kind of joke? Wonderful (253 Sqft) and Spectacular (338 Sqft) rooms are in the $200-300 price range.
WOW - this is the room they gave us when we stayed there last fall! i'm not kidding! couldn't shut the bathroom door if you were in there. butt hit the wall when i tried to walk around the foot the bed....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.