Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago - W City Center or W Lakeshore

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2006, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Plat/LT Gold, MR Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Be sure to specifically ask for a room without a connecting door at Lakeshore. Otherwise the sound from the adjoining room will carry into your room as if there was a curtain between the rooms. The non-connecting rooms are noticably quieter.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 6:33 am

I just completed a two night stay at the W City Center. After having a spectacular experience at the W Lakeshore last month, I thought I would be the City Center a try even though it was fartest removed from my meetings. I enjoyed walking from the loop area where the hotel is situated to E. Chestnut for my meetings. More than 20 years ago when I tried this, it was like risking one's life, but these downtown areas of Chicago have returned to their former years of grandeur with construction on every block.

Upon checkin, I presented my SPG Platinum card and my Platinum AE card, I was assigned room 901, a room on the NW corner of the hotel. I was told that this was a "nice" room and the elevator was pointed out to me. Before leaving the desk, I asked if there were any suites available, and the clerk pulled up a screen, and went to her colleague and they both pointed to some rooms and chatted. She then return to me, and said she no there was not. I then asked her about my ammenity, and she said, "oh, do you want the points", and I said yes.

Room 901 was an unusually shaped room with the entry way jutting out to the hall. When I looked on the room map on the back of the door, it appeared that all rooms on the 9th floor were about the same size. I did not hear the el, nor did I hear people in the next room as others did. I noted that throughout my stay, I was not offerred water, other than a bottle of water on my nightstand with an $8 tag on it.

I concluded my Platinum status was not recognized at this hotel, and that I had to prod the staff. This is in marked contrast to the Lakeshore where I had a suite and a welcoming platter with wine and a note from the manager.

Although I did like the hotel, I decided I would not stay at this hotel again. @:-)
Old Jun 12, 2006, 6:09 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
... I noted that throughout my stay, I was not offerred water, other than a bottle of water on my nightstand with an $8 tag on it.....

@:-)

none of the W hotels (at least the ones I visited: newark, montreal, westwood, lakeshore) offer free bottles of water to platinum members!
Old Sep 17, 2006, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA Platinum; Southwest A-List; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Explorist
W City Center, W Lakeshore, or Westin NMA??

Mrs. Grover and I are visiting Chicago for the first time over Thur-Sun weekend next month. Rooms are $400+ so using Starpoints. We will definitely be in tourist mode.

I am holding a room at W City Center but now wonder if we would be happier at W Lakeshore or Westin NMA. Any suggestions? (tried a search but returning errors this afternoon)

Thanks for the help!----Grover
Old Sep 17, 2006, 5:35 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
It depends on the weather ... "next month" is October and that could mean snow in Chicago (though not often!). In any case the W Lakeshore is great in the summer but not in the winter, and I wouldn't want to stay there in October. No idea about the Westin but that is the best location for October. But I stay at the Pen most of the time as all of the Starwoods in Chicago have one problem or another and are simply not great hotels. However points are great value, as you pointed out.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 5:37 pm

I would most certainly recommend The Westin NMA. It has a far more central location and since you are in tourist mode I think that there is no better location. It is on the 900 block, one block from John Hancock and only 2-3 blocks from the best shopping in the Mid-West. Lakeshore and City Center are a good deal further down and much more secluded. The Westin NMA was also recently remodeled (with 5 years) and the rooms are very nice. The rooms are of great size, and if you are SPG Gold or better you will be able to upgrade fairly easily on those dates I would think.

Hope this helps! And you should eat at Bistro 110 on Pearson St just 500 feet from the hotel. Also look into Second City, it is a comedy club (tasteful) that is in the theatre district. (www.secondcity.com)

Hope that helped!
Old Sep 17, 2006, 10:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
W Lakeshore :td:

I would most certainly avoid Lakeshore. Unpleasant platinum treatment multiple times - although they had a suite available (near midnight), they'd still not give it out as an upgrade. Talked to the manager the next day and he said since the inventory of suite was low they're still looking to sell at rack rate.
Shower design was awkward. There's no shower door or curtain in the bathroom. I just had to clean up the pool of water after every shower with all the towels available, not to mention the nasty draft during the shower. Front desk claimed that it's part of the design.
The only positive thing that I could think of is the view. It's unobstructed view of the lake, and you can see the chicago skyline on the side.

My experience at Westin was equally bad. That was about a year ago and I heard that they're going to renovate so rooms might have been updated. Carpet was worn and no heavenly bed last year. Location is great though - right off Michigan Ave.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 9:21 am
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Never stayed at the Westin, but I've used both Ws. I like City Center a lot better, bigger rooms and cooler lobby. YMMV.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:49 am

I stayed at City Center last week and was not that impressed. Decent looking hotel but you can see the age in some of the rooms - a little peeling paint, older fixtures. I also found my room noisy as you could hear the train pretty well every time it passed. I have also stayed at the Westin Michigan Ave and prefer that property.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 2MM 1K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Premier
I love the W Lakeshore; I've stayed there once a month for last 12 months and have gotten great service each time. Take a cab during the winter if you don't want to walk.

Have you looked at the Sheraton or the Westin River North?

Also, try doing a search on 'Chicago' to get the low down on all the properties in the Windy City.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT LIFE, SPG Platinum, LHW LC, Fairmont PC
I really dislike the W Lakeshore. In addition to the comments listed above, the hallways remind me of one of those tenement buildings in a bad 70's cop show. Black, neon lighting. Rooms are all black. Not my cup of tea. Although, the Lakeshore Lemonade in the bar is one of my favorite drinks in the city. I only stay here when "forced" to for business purposes.

The W City Center is much better. I also like the Westin--graet location across from the Hancock Bldg which has a great bar/view at the top.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 7:04 am

I'm in the same boat with the folks that really like the W Lakeshore. Although never upgraded, they have always treated me well (well, they were never rude). As a tourist, the location is great next to the Mag Mile and Navy Pier.

I did hear that the rooms at the City Center are better than the Lakeshore, but it's definitely a little more "corporate" than the lakeshore. You can't go wrong with either one!
Old Sep 25, 2006, 8:26 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond; National C ar Executive Elite
I like the Westin NMA

It's much more central to all things touristy (unless you're going to the theater..in which the city center might be more convenient). Westin NMA is near all the good shopping and trendy spots in the river north area. All the other hotels are kind of out of the way.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 10:05 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, FPC Plat, SPG Gold, NW Silver
I LOVE all of the differing opinions about W City Center and Lakeshore, and of course you are about to get mine as well
Having experience with both, I have to say that I like City Center much better, rooms are bigger and staff is considerably more friendly. I also like the neighborhood better (theater area). That being said, Lakeshore is a little closer to MI ave, although if it is cold out, you will want to take a cab either way. I did stay at the Westin once, and as far as 'touristy' goes, it is right in the heart of it.
On a side note, if you are Sushi fans, you MUST try Sushi Wabi on Randolph, YUM! And on the touristy note, I HIGHLY recommend a brunch at Ralph Lauren. On top of obvious tourist appeal, they have excelent brunch and service as well. I grunted when I was dragged there due to the fact that it seemed so very touristy and have happily returned on almost every trip. OK, I am hungry now, gotta go!!! Have Fun!!!
Old Nov 12, 2006, 9:14 pm

W Chicago Lakeshore - the restaurant

After an epic search through the Starwood section, I thought this thread best fits my enquiry.

Staying at the W Chicago Lakeshore 2nd-6th Dec. Should I bother with the 'Wave' restaurant? I just need a restaurant that's close by for dinner after arriving in Chicago from FRA and checking in as I imagine I'd be quite jet lagged. Or could I do better in the immediate vicinity?

The prices look alright and the menu looks edgy. Plus it's not often that I get to stay at a W since there are so few outside the US. Wouldn't wanna spend too much on food though since it'd mean more money for alcohol!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.