Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Princeville Hotel, Hawaii - closed Sept 08 for renov; reopens 10/09 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Princeville Hotel, Hawaii - closed Sept 08 for renov; reopens 10/09 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2005, 12:07 am

Using Award points for Princeville Resort, Kauai

I am planning to use SPG award points for Princeville Resort in Kauai for my honeymoon in the next couple of months. While their website lists various types of rooms it is not clear to me what kind of room I can get. Their customer rep told me it would be some sort of basic room.

I am a Gold member. Can I expect to get any upgrades at the time of check in due to Gold status or due to the fact that it is for honeymoon ? Any tips on getting upgrades or getting a good room are appreciated.

-Mike
Old Jan 9, 2005, 12:44 am

There really isn't a bad room at the Princeville. You might get a garden view room, or if they can, they'll probably upgrade you. Expect the garden view room and be happy if you get upgraded.

It might not hurt to call the hotel a bit before your arrival to let them know that you'll be honeymooning there.

-David
Old Jan 9, 2005, 3:50 am

I've done this three times at princeville...twice as gold, once as platinum. The two gold times I got upgraded to an oceanview from the standard gardenview room. The platinum time I got a junior suite.

The last time, a month ago, when Gold, I called and had been reserved into a partial ocean (a step above garden view) for some reason. They had enough room to upgrade me the night prior, by phone, to oceanview, and then I paid another $100 per night to upgrade to junior suite.

Do NOT expect an upgrade b/c its your honeymoon. Expect a small token, likely a coupon for a bottle of champagne.

Also, you will NOT get an upgrade to junior suite or anything above with Gold. Assuming there's room, you should expect ocean view with gold.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 7:46 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by aflyer
I've done this three times at princeville...twice as gold, once as platinum. The two gold times I got upgraded to an oceanview from the standard gardenview room. The platinum time I got a junior suite.

The last time, a month ago, when Gold, I called and had been reserved into a partial ocean (a step above garden view) for some reason. They had enough room to upgrade me the night prior, by phone, to oceanview, and then I paid another $100 per night to upgrade to junior suite.

Do NOT expect an upgrade b/c its your honeymoon. Expect a small token, likely a coupon for a bottle of champagne.

Also, you will NOT get an upgrade to junior suite or anything above with Gold. Assuming there's room, you should expect ocean view with gold.
I also received an upgrade to a junior suite as a platinum on an award stay.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 10:04 am

Stayed here last December as a Gold on an award stay and was upgraded to an Ocean view room. Of course a lot will depend on occupancy levels.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 11:50 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I stayed at Princeville for 5 nights on points as a plat and was upgraded to a great junior suite. I was very happy with the treatment. Hope you are too!
Old May 31, 2005, 3:17 pm

Service to Expect on Points Stay at Princeville, Kauai

I'm using points for the last 2 nights of my honeymoon in Kauai. Unfortunately meant a downgrade from our ocean view suite to a partial ocean view double for those two nights, but still seemed a very good use of points, given the amount we'll be saving. Does anybody have any experience using *wood points at this hotel? (We're regular members who manage to rack up a lot of points with our SPG credit card, if platinum status makes a difference in treatment here.)
Old Jan 30, 2006, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Arrow Kauai, Hawaii Starwood Properties - Princeville & Sheraton [Master Thread]

We are going on a family vacation at the end of May with two ocean view rooms reserved with points. I was told that Platinums may get upgraded to Jr. Suite but never to an Executive Suite, Presidential Suite or the Royal Suite.

In addition to the 108,000 points. I was told by hotel staff that I can pay an extra $1,000.00 per night to upgrade to an Executive Suite which looks like two rooms put together with one turned into the living room. The Presidential Suites and Royal Suite look like real suites but are much more expensive. So this does not seem like a great option.

What is everyones upgrade experiences with this property and how did this affect your stay. There seems to be mixed reviews.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 12:22 pm

Programs: Catered by me instead of FBO (semi retired)
As a gold I got 1007 a junior suite. The room was nice, but the service was sloppy. You can read my review in the reviews section. Also, they are beginning work on a 50 million dollar renovation of the property. All in all the junior suites are good size with 800 plus sq feet.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 1:17 pm

I just returned from the Princeville and booked a room with starpoints. I am Platinum but unfortunately I was not upgraded. It did appear that the hotel was pretty full. Most of the rooms in this hotel offer at least partial ocean views except the rooms (garden / mountain view) towards the left side of the hotel.

I was a little disappointed that an available ocean room wasn't arranged for me since one was evidently available. On the first night, I was given a partial ocean room / pool view room. On the 2nd morning, I asked if there was a closer room to the elevator as my wife is expecting and it would reduce the walk (we were at the very end). I was given another room (ocean view) closer to the elevators without delay.

As with any upgrade, it always depends on whether the hotel has any rooms available and the length of your stay. I stayed for 5 nights. I actually didn't ask if a junior suite was available. I would like to believe there wasn't any but one never knows. At various starwood hotels, I have had much more success with upgrades on shorter stays.

I did enjoy the cocktail reception held on Wednesdays for Starwood Preferred Guests (and other invitees). I didn't have a chance to speak with the General Manager but other managers were very pleasant to chat with and they held this in a poolside tent with cocktails and appetizers.

I was not aware that the hotel will undergo renovations. It's a beautiful hotel but the rooms could use a bit of cosmetic updating.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 3:14 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
As a Platinum, I was upgraded on a points-based stay last summer to a Junior Suite. I did contact the concierge before I went with some requests and mentioned that we would be celebrating our 35th anniversary and would appreciate a good Platinum upgrade. Not sure if the call mattered but we did get what we wanted.

OTOH, my duaghter went the summer before for her honeymoon. No status at all but they knew it was a honeymoon and upgraded her to a Junior Suite. I think it's always worth calling in advance if it's a special occasion.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 7:53 am

I also used points and am a platinum. It was our anniversary and they upgraded us to a junior suite. I called ahead it had already been done since I had asked the reservationist to make the note about the special occasion.

Rooms are a good size and the frosted glass feature in the bathroom is definitely interesting. Great views of the beach and ocean.

Great property, enjoy.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, United 1K
Room 1113 is where you want to be! We were lowly gold and landed in the Princeville's Royal Suite on a 4 night honeymoon stay in October, 2005. No clue how it happened, but we were truly appreciative of the experience.

We had booked ourselves into one of the prince junior suites as a splurge - we found a buy one get one free rate based on our status with American (AAElite was the rate code) so the junior suite would have been $410 instead of the rack rate $820. Beyond noting honeymoon on our online reservation, we did not call ahead or otherwise make any advance requests for special treatment. We simply showed up around 9 pm, gave the valet parking guy our name, and he immediately handed over our key card packet and sent us up to the room. We didn't even go to the front desk. The guy who delivered our bags a few minutes later asked how we landed on that room since we clearly weren't celebrities.

The Royal Suite was the ultimate upgrade experience - two balconies, two bathrooms, two marble showers and a jacuzzi tub, a gigantic dressing area with his and hers sinks, even a fully stocked bar and a kitchen complete with a private butler's entrance (we didn't order up a butler, but we did scramble some eggs and serve coffee in the silver tea set).

Perhaps the best part of the experience was having family dinner at the large dining room table. We had gotten married on Maui and both sets of parents were on Kauai for a few days as well. Maybe it's a little crazy that we invited moms and dads to dinner during our honeymoon... but someone had to witness the royal suite to proove that it really happened!

We're saving the receipt with the room number so we can try to get our "honeymoon room" on a future anniversary trip .
Old Feb 11, 2006, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Plat; UAL 1K, Starwood Plat
In four trips to the Princeville, my wife and I have scored:
1st - Executive Suite
2nd - Jr Suite
3rd - Presidential suite (the one with two floors)
4th - Jr Suite
so you can see we've been treated very well. All of the reservations were award nights and we didn't do anything special (except on the 3rd stay we arrived at about 10:00 AM and our pre-blocked room wasn't ready so the assistant manager changed our room to the Presidential suite).
Good luck and let us know how you fare.
Old May 31, 2006, 11:36 am

Programs: SPG, AA Elite, HHonors, Hyatt Gold
Paradise Found!

My wife and I just returned from a 6 night stay at the Princeville. **I am SPG plat and this was a points stay**

Upon arrival, we were greeted by the valet with fresh Hawaiian leis. (I give overall service a 5/5). I had called ahead to inquire about an upgrade to one of the Jr Suites and was told that none were available. I went to the front desk to double-check, and sure enough, a Jr Suite was available - for all but the last night of our stay. We agreed to take the room and do a room change on that last night. We stayed in room 1002.

The Jr Suite was very nice (4/5 overall)...the furniture looked to be about 10-15 years old, but was still in very nice condition. The bed was comfortable, but not luxurious. (The hotel is in the process of replacing all of its beds with the "St. Regis standard", which may earn the room a 5/5). The living area had a flat screen Sony TV and a DVD player. The room also had a second, older TV that rose from the entertainment credenza near the bed at the push of a button. The bathroom gets a 5/5. The "magic window" in our jacuzzi tub overlooked Hanalei Bay and Bali Hai. This window has a feature to make it opaque at the flip of a switch...but who would bother?? My wife loved the Aveda bath products. Another plus of having the ocean facing room is the sound of waves breaking when the windows were open. Staying on the 10th floor was also very convenient as we didn't have to take any elevators to get to our room. You enter the hotel on the 9th floor, so we just used the stairs to get to/from our room.

For the last night of our stay, we were moved out of our Jr Suite digs and into a normal "mountain-view room" (room 313). The room was OK. I'd give it a 3.5/5. Had I only stayed in this room and never saw the Jr Suite, this room would probably get a 4/5. It is very spacious for a standard room. The bathroom was nice, but not having the view from the tub/shower made a world of difference. We did have a nice view of the pool area and hotel beach. The other major difference was the lack of ocean sounds through the windows. Also, having to take two sets of elevators to get to/from the room was a bit inconvenient.

The hotel lobby gets a 5/5. As some have mentioned it does not have typical Hawaiian decor, but it is VERY plush. There are windows everywhere (including skylights), so the lobby is very bright. And there are amazing views in every direction.

We did most of our dining over in Hanalei (to save some $$), but did eat a few meals at the Princeville. The breakfast buffet is a definite 5/5. Excellent, although pricey @ $28 per person. Be sure to get a table on the lanai. We had dinner one night in the Library bar...I had a $21 overcooked kobe beef burger...oh well. 3/5 to the burger. My wife had the $16 club sandwich, which she rates a 4/5.

Trip Highlights:
Air Kauai helicopter tour - this is an absolute must. As our guidebook says: "Going to Kauai and not taking a helicopter tour is like going to the Sistine Chapel and not looking up!"
The Kalalau Trail hike - we did the "easy" portion, which is 4mi roundtrip to a secluded beach. We got to the trailhead around 8:30am...the trail was verrrry muddy. (Despite what the guidebook says, we were able to salvage our tennis shoes with a good scrubbing back in the hotel bath tub). We were back at our vehicle by 1:30pm.
Golf @ the Prince Course - an excellent course with breathtaking views (rated #1 in Hawaii). I'm a decent golfer with about a 12-13 handicap...and I lost about 12-13 balls.
Beach relaxation - the Princeville's beach is perfect for relaxation. Service was expedient and they even walked around offering complementary ice water. I *highly* recommend renting some snorkeling gear from the hotel ($7 / hour or $20 for the day). I saw maybe 2500 fish in 1 hour.
Luau - The luau is $75 per person for hotel guests...but well worth it. Especially if you can put down 5 or 6 of the "free" mai tais - which will set you back $10 each on the beach. The food was very good, especially the pig! The show was pretty good...the fire dancer was awesome.
Sunsets over Bali Hai - don't miss a single one of these.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.