Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Princeville Hotel, Hawaii - closed Sept 08 for renov; reopens 10/09 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Princeville Hotel, Hawaii - closed Sept 08 for renov; reopens 10/09 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2002, 9:35 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, Ritz Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Delta Platinum, Starwood Gold,
Just returned from The Princeville. Spent 7 nights and was upgraded to Jr. Suite for entire stay. Great place and very relaxing. The Jr. Suites are great, seem to spend a lot of time just looking out the windows at the views. Location is a bit remote and a car or jeep rental is a must. Enjoyed the stay and would highly suggest. I was on the 10th floor, I would suggest a lower floor but I don't think the Jr. Suites are on the lower floors. I would put in your reservation a note to please upgrade if you are Gold or Platinum.
Old Jan 14, 2002, 7:47 pm

I would have ALMOST no doubt that you would get AT LEAST an ocean view room on a stay as plat. They only have something like 16 rooms out of 200 that have no ocean view. My guess is that you will have a good shot at a jr. suite. I would think that yes, it would be helpful to have the concierge call and tell the hotel that it's your honeymoon. You should also get a certificate for a bottle of champagne that you can redeem through room service or at one of their restaurants.
We particularly like the italian restaurant there. Pre-reserve an ocean-view table, and get there about 45 minutes prior to sunset for the best table choice and then ENJOY! We saw Sally Field and her family there last time we were there.
Old Jan 15, 2002, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Plat; UAL 1K, Starwood Plat
I was at the Princeville from Sept 8th and 9th then from the 11th through the 14th (supposed to leave on Sept. 11th). I was upgraded to an executive suite for the first two nights then was given a Jr. Suite the second set of nights. I am Platinum and they treated me very well.

You will find no better view of the bay than from the executive or Jr. Suites. The views are absolutely stunning. Food at the hotel is expensive and not that good try some of the local restaurants down in town. Enjoy the trip—I’m going back as soon as I can.
Old Feb 14, 2002, 7:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton: Gold, Starwood: Platinum, Hyatt: Platinum, AS: MVP Gold
Princeville Resort (4.5/5)

The St. Regis Princeville Resort

Map| 3 Reviews | 100% Recommended

5520 Kahaku Road Princeville, HI US 96722

Princeville Resort (4.5/5) (0 Photo)

Pulled up in my SUV around 9:15 p.m. Instantly greeted by the valet, who asks for my name. He goes inside, while someone else grabs my bags and leis me. First valet comes back with my room key -- "Mr. XXXXX, we've upgraded you from a Mountain/Garden view room to an oceanview Prince Jr. Suite. If you head up to your room someone will be there shortly to check you in."

A few minutes after getting into the room, someone arrives with my bag. Reviews room rate ($0.00) and verifies CC for incidentals. All done. It was the most pleasant check-in experience I've ever had, even nicer than at the St. Regis NYC. Very fast.

Perhaps too fast... they neglected to tell me that parking is $15 a day, whether you valet or self park. This after being on Maui and having free valet at the Maui Prince and Ritz Kapalua. Even more egregious because they have public parking a few yards away for free for non-guests.

For the money, you would think the valet wouldn't have left the top off on my SUV the second night. Of course it rained; it was soaked in the morning. The morning valet was very apologetic and brought some towels for the backseat/trunk. Throughout the stay, they were very good about having the car ready.

The suite was a decent size. A small foyer, bedroom area, dining table for four and a large living space adjacent to the windows. The furnishings were high quality, but felt a bit worn.

In addition to the TV in the living area, there's a pop up TV that can be viewed from the bed. (There's a remote that moves it up and down.) The same cabinet that contains the TV houses the mini-bar and drawers. Note to those who try to restock minibars themselves: there are colored dots on all the items. The prices seemed low by minibar standards.

I never could find the supposed in-room safe.

The windows overlooked the lower tiers of the hotel and across to Bali Hai and down to the bay and Ocean. One thing I discovered late in the stay is that the glass AND the screens slide back, so you can have full open air.

Bathroom was very impressive. Marble throughout, double sink, spa tub. Amenities were Aveda. I really liked the rosemary mint shampo. The toilet acted up a bit; took some tries to flush.

In lieu of a curtain, there is an LCD window controlled by a light switch. If it's off, the glass is clear. If it's on, the glass is shaded for privacy. NOTE TO DESIGNERS: Switch shouldn't be on opposite side of bathroom -- Turn on privacy. Get in tub. Turn on jets. Turn off privacy. Watch sunset. Turn on privacy. Step out. As it is, there's a bit of a free show. Not that anyone would want to see it.

They had a number of wrapped presents waiting for me in the room, along with a card from the GM thanking me for returning. Don't know which was the plat amenity, but I got a set of Princeville note cards, a Princeville journal and a Kauai coffee table book.

The tent card still listed the old policy phone rates ($2/$1.50); I didn't have to make a call so I don't know if they charge the new, lower rates.

I arrived after the restaurants had closed so had to order through room service. Horrid pizza, which I swear was a frozen pizza heated up. (And not very well, the crust was burnt.) $21.95 + tip&tax. If I hadn't been so tired, I would have sent it back.

I had one breakfast at Cafe Hanalei, which overlooks the ocean. Pretty good food and not overly expensive considering the locale. ($25 all in for an omelette and juice.) I got the sense that most people take the buffet as the table service was a bit on the slow side.

The lobby is enormous, with a large wall overlooking the bay. To the right is the Living Room lounge, which is very homey. Good tropical drinks.

Some of the public areas were a bit beat up for a hotel of this caliber.

In the area of the hotel I was staying, there are two identical (from the outside) elevators on the 9th floor. If you get the one on the right, it's a freight elevator that brings you up into a service area.

The hotel is set on a cliff and has three major sections. The driveway is toward the top of the ciff. From the drive, the hotel has a certain opulence to it. From the beach and from across the bay, it looks rather ugly and scattershot.

Getting to the beach/pool area took more connections than getting to Kauai -- three separate elevators.

The beach is OK, but there is a lot of coral right near it; much nicer beaches nearby. Didn't really spend much time there as the weather wasn't cooperating.

I did take advantage of the oceanfront hammocks. There are only two; I don't know if there's usually a charge, but no one was around. Nothing like reading in the rain.

Checkout was relatively smooth. Agent was very friendly. Offered to get someone to help with my bags. The person didn't come, but my car was ready so I just hauled them off.

PROS: Top-tier hotel in an unbelievable location. I'd like to go back in the summer, when you can kayak the Na Pali Coast. Generous upgrades, platinum amenities. Spa tubs w/LCD panel. One of the nicest in-room views I've had.

CONS: Excessive parking charges*, inconsistent food quality, marginal beach.

RECOMMENDATION: If you want to be on the North Shore, this is the place. If you're looking for a "just hanging out" beach vacation, try the Poipu area. The beach in front of the Sheraton looked MUCH nicer.

*I was told the parking charge was instituted when they joined Starwood, in lieu of a resort fee.

Princeville Resort (4.5/5)

Would you like to write a review on the The St. Regis Princeville Resort?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Feb 17, 2002, 9:17 am

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB

I have stayed at this property more times than I care to remember abd now stay on the sunny side of the island.If your worried about rain this is not the place it rains everyday up there.I also find it interesting that everyone here thinks the parking fee is high,upgraded to junior suite rates are around 700.00 per night no room is under 400.00 so I guess everyone is staying on awards and being from new york I would think 15.00 to park the car would be a steal.
Old May 30, 2002, 9:26 pm

Likelihood of Upgrade at Princeville, HI

My wife and I are going to the Princeville in Kaui for 9 days/8 nights for our 5th wedding anniversary. Does anyone have a suggestion about how to secure an upgrade? I am Platinum, and we are going completely on a combination of points and free weekend redemption, so I am a bit nervous about getting the lowest quality room which would be bad particularly given the occassion. Any ideas? Should I send a letter to the manager or call in advance? What have people found to be successful?
Old May 30, 2002, 11:32 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton: Gold, Starwood: Platinum, Hyatt: Platinum, AS: MVP Gold
This hotel does a terrific job of upgrades. I was upgraded to an OV prince junior suite even before I checked in. Wouldn't worry about it. See http://www.princeville.com/stay/pvsuites.html

[This message has been edited by rocky (edited 05-30-2002).]
Old Jun 3, 2002, 4:40 pm

I stayed at this hotel two years ago. I am a *wood platinum. We were upgraded to a Jr. Suite (I think). This stay was purely on points. I called the hotel two weeks before and asked to have a nice room since it was my honeymoon and they delivered in a big way. Actually, Sally Field was staying in the next room and we had a better room than she did. I am sure some people on this board will disagree with me, but this is the best *wood hotel I have stayed at.
Old Jun 3, 2002, 7:53 pm

If you wanted to upgrade using points, do they give you the Jr suite or an executive one???

Same question for some of the other Hawaiian properties. Charlie Callas once told me that not all suites are created equal.
Old Jun 3, 2002, 9:20 pm

Programs: CO Silver
There are very few mountain view rooms at this hotel, so at the very least, you'll get an ocean view room (with stunning views of Bali Hai). We stayed here in 10/01 and were upgraded to oceanview from mountain view as SPG corp. Since you're plat, I wouldn't worry.
Old Jul 24, 2002, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Princeville Kauai Hawaii (has their act together)

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

We checked in to the Princeville Resort in Kauai. We received 'leis' upon arrival. My 15 year old loved this nice touch.

This is my first stay as a Plat. (Award stay). I was really excited to see how the system 'really' works.

Report: The system IS all that's it's cracked up to be.

Get this. Got a nice suite on the 9th floor. Humongous. Room overlooks bay and mountains. Bathroom is marble and glass. Plenty of mirrors.
Bathroom with jacuzzi (oversized) has a big picture window overlooking the bay/mountains.
When we arrived they gave us a box of postcards. I thought this was the amenity.

Nope. When we returned to the room after dinner...Champagne, strawberry covered chocolates, and a very nice selection of fresh fruits awaited us.
William, don't you love reading glowing reports.

The front desk even let me into the business center after it closed. Hopefully they won't be charging me for the computer time.

This island is very charming. The way Hawaii used to be.

Aloha.
Dan
Old Jul 24, 2002, 7:10 am

Glad you enjoyed. This is one of my favorite Starwood properties in the world. I never tire of returning there.
Old Jul 24, 2002, 7:10 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier Platinum, DL Gold, Lifetime Bonvoy Titanium
Thanks for your report Dan. I'm heading there myself soon so it is good to know that they are still treating Plats well. I stayed there 2 years ago and was also given the "royal" treatment.
Old Jul 24, 2002, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dan, did you get the suite where the bathroom window looking out on the bay is a liquid crystal window? It looks just like any other piece of glass. But when you flip a switch on the wall, the window magically and instantly goes from being clear glass to frosted glass?

Pretty cool little technogadget, and you might not have known it was even there if you didn't flip the switch and notice what it was doing.

From your description of the suite, it sounds like the one and is my favorite suite here.
Old Jul 24, 2002, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
PremEx,

That's the one. Nothing like taking a shower looking out at Bali Hai.

Also, the GM came out to introduce himself. He said he always does this for Plats to Thank us for the business.

Dan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.